• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Years ago I owned an MG Midget and Triumph TR7. I’d go thru a can of B12 Chemtool and starting fluid trying to get the damn things to start. They had the suspension technology of a covered wagon and ran about as good as one.

Out of the cars I had in my younger days, the only ones I miss was an Opel GT, Jeep J2000 (a TANK), Chevelle, and my fave, a wide body Datsun 240Z, which unfortunately, rolled down an incline in the parking lot at Redbird Mall and was totaled.
    Target Sports

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Jags are for sissy’s. Buy a Triumph or MG if you’re into pain :)
    Nah, MGs are simple things. A lot more "engineering" in a Jag. Also MG left these shores 40 years ago. Can't really compare that to a newer car.

If I had the time and found a Jag I liked enough, I could see myself buying one and LS swapping it.
    If you're looking for a sedan, an xj40 or x300 would be a good candidate. They can be had very inexpensively, but usually hold up very well cosmetically. British cows just make better leather or something...

Ironically for an engine swap, the straight six from those generations is actually quite reliable. It's everything else on the car that goes wrong, and there's just something about how the Brits put a car together that makes them infuriating to work on.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    there's just something about how the Brits put a car together that makes them infuriating to work on.

Truth.
    The Brits couldn’t even build a reliable Honda/Acura...they were called Sterlings and they were terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    This is one of the few rare gems to come out of Britain.

2A214887-54EA-4AD9-B441-DDD994380325.jpeg
    419EAFF7-7D8A-427B-8A94-7FFD9DCDB4B8.jpeg

Attachments

• 2A214887-54EA-4AD9-B441-DDD994380325.jpeg
      2A214887-54EA-4AD9-B441-DDD994380325.jpeg
      171.1 KB · Views: 252
    • 419EAFF7-7D8A-427B-8A94-7FFD9DCDB4B8.jpeg
      419EAFF7-7D8A-427B-8A94-7FFD9DCDB4B8.jpeg
      64.2 KB · Views: 247

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    If you're looking for a sedan, an xj40 or x300 would be a good candidate. They can be had very inexpensively, but usually hold up very well cosmetically. British cows just make better leather or something...
    If I were to do it, I'd want something more modern. Start with a 4 cylinder XE, with ~500 hp it would be pretty quick and fun to drive.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If I were to do it, I'd want something more modern. Start with a 4 cylinder XE, with ~500 hp it would be pretty quick and fun to drive.
    In that case get an x351 with the 5.0L. There's no need to swap in American muscle; it's a Coyote under the Jag bits ;)

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The brits have done some cool American-muscle transplants.

Jensen Interceptor / Dodge 440
    Sunbeam Tiger / 289 Ford
    AC Cobra / 289 & 427 Ford

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I know a guy with a Tiger. It's trippy hearing that thing start up. Your eyes see a British roadster, but your ears hear a Mustang :laughing:
    Seen one a few years back, guy had drove it to Kroger's. I was walking through the parking lot & he was parked up front when I was walking by & he fired it up. I noticed the car pulling in but couldn't tell it was a Tiger until it roared.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    In that case get an x351 with the 5.0L. There's no need to swap in American muscle; it's a Coyote under the Jag bits ;)
    Yeah I was looking at those last night. Wow, talk about money pouring out quickly. $130k new, in 5 years they're selling for under $20k

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    A former co-worker once bought an 8-year old supercharged XJ-R, it only had 25k miles on it.

He paid $8k for the car, and the seller gave him a binder with $30k in repair receipts, paid with cash money.

This guy bought a used McLaren with $150k in warranty receipts. Crazy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    The more expensive the car the more expensive the upkeep. My brother bought a Porsche back in 1985 or so. He had the alternator go out and had it replaced at the dealer. I always made fun of him after that as I rebuilt my whole engine in my truck for the cost of the alternator R&R. Cars are depreciating assets and putting any more money into one than you have to is financial death. I only bought my VW Beetle new as it came with an amazing warranty after dieselgate (11 years/162k miles on anything that sets a code other than the transmission. All covered engine, turbo, hpfp and all emissions equipment). This is all spelled out in the court order. Another unique item was the Judge said all disagreements on coverage or no are to be decided in favor of the owner, rather than VW.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yeah I was looking at those last night. Wow, talk about money pouring out quickly. $130k new, in 5 years they're selling for under $20k
    Jag's reputation precedes it :laughing:
    If you can turn a wrench and aren't a puss, then it's no big deal.

The more expensive the car the more expensive the upkeep. My brother bought a Porsche back in 1985 or so. He had the alternator go out and had it replaced at the dealer. I always made fun of him after that...
    Yeah, dealership service departments are rapists. They have the least experienced techs, yet charge the most. Find an independent mechanic you can trust and it'll be much cheaper. Once you're not paying for a premium brand's "certified tech", the cost differences aren't remarkable. Even less so if you DIY. The cost of maintaining your VW is closer to that of a Porsche than a lot of other things.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Maintaining it isn't that big of a deal for me. I was smart and bought up other peoples service items when they turned their cars back in, for way less than new (Thanks Craigslist). I have 6 transmission service kits ($90 new, I paid $20 40k miles service), (enough oil and filters to last 250k miles, 10k service $60 new, $20 each), and more. The extra long warranty on it will cover any major items. No other car I have ever heard of has a warranty (court ordered) like that. OEM parts when shopped for online can be had fairly cheap. But you pretty much have to do your own labor to use them. Even without the cheap parts I have the VW doesn't come close to a Porsche.

Dealerships aren't rapists. They charge what they charge and you can always choose to go elsewhere. The VW dealer near me and in Austin have always done pretty good for me in the service arena. But I never go in blind and I ask them to fix specifically what I want fixed, not just tell them "it's broke, fix it". I have a cable and software to check the car and I diagnose things myself and then just have the required repair done. If you just walk in and say give me the 40k service, they will charge you upwards of $800 for that. If you say change the oil and filter, fuel filter and trans fluid and filter and then do the easy inspections and other simple things yourself, usually under $300. Knowledge is power (money).

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Jag's reputation precedes it :laughing:
    If you can turn a wrench and aren't a puss, then it's no big deal.
    Yeah that reputation has kept me away. While I've got the chops and really enjoy spinning wrenches, I don't want my time spent keeping a poorly engineered POS running. I know there's a lot of people who have passion for vehicles with .. .uh. "character" I'm just not one of them. For the effort, I would much rather take a classic American car and do a pro touring build. That way I can daily drive it without worries, and in the odd event something fails I can get parts at O'Reillys.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    poorly engineered POS running
    I wouldn't call them POSes. They are exceptional cars to drive. I think they actually hit above their price point in that category. Go rent one on Turo or something for a weekend.

This thread has gone on too long without pics. Continuing the British theme...
    RwFILMZmTBzXOG6sUV4076eeEjSlCa4dn4qwfWeinlP9ljsZSdcDQmEcvgv8OhljutKQEOwhg&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

Attachments

• RwFILMZmTBzXOG6sUV4076eeEjSlCa4dn4qwfWeinlP9ljsZSdcDQmEcvgv8OhljutKQEOwhg&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg
      RwFILMZmTBzXOG6sUV4076eeEjSlCa4dn4qwfWeinlP9ljsZSdcDQmEcvgv8OhljutKQEOwhg&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg
      258.6 KB · Views: 299
    Top Bottom