• ...and so much more!
  • MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    I so wish that Pontiac had survived and that they would have done a retro that was better than the Aussie car they tried with.

Amen to that! If Pontiac had done something with the GTO similar to what Dodge has done with the Challenger and Charger that’s a car that would definitely get my interest.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Amen to that! If Pontiac had done something with the GTO similar to what Dodge has done with the Challenger and Charger that’s a car that would definitely get my interest.

Yeah the biggest issue was GM had no suitable North American RWD platform at the time. And platform development is massively expensive.

Chrysler got a shot in the arm with the old E-Class platform, which was flexible enough to allow variants that looked dissimilar...and the platform had long-since been paid for.

That platform is now two generations old and still underpins the Charger and Challenger.

Not to mention the old M-Class platform that’s still used for the Durango and Jeep GC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Yeah the biggest issue was GM had no suitable North American RWD platform at the time. And platform development is massively expensive.

Chrysler got a shot in the arm with the old E-Class platform, which was flexible enough to allow variants that looked dissimilar...and the platform had long-since been paid for.

That platform is now two generations old and still underpins the Charger and Challenger.

Not to mention the old M-Class platform that’s still used for the Durango and Jeep GC.

I would have bought one if it had been done well at all.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I had an '04 GTO, never really sold on it being a GTO and never thought it was particularly good looking (even after I did the '05 styling update - hood, rear bumper, exhaust). The quality was definitely there, the Holdens were a lot nicer than the domestic GM products of the era.

Still slow on a 100 shot though.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    065FF777-4C3D-40E0-A908-276F999C7484.jpeg
    Had a Pontiac G8. What the GTO should have been. It was my favorite car of all cars I have ever owned.
    If GM still imported it, I would never own a different car. Posi-trac, LS3, and a little love makes for a potent car.
    As traded with 88,000 miles.

Attachments

• 065FF777-4C3D-40E0-A908-276F999C7484.jpeg
      065FF777-4C3D-40E0-A908-276F999C7484.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 370

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Sadly the Holden legacy died with the demise of the Chevy SS two years ago.

The SS is/was a great car.
    A modern and affordable interpretation of an early M5, methinks.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I wish they didn't "Chevy up" the SS. When I got out of my SRT8 Charger, I looked at the SS as a replacement but it was just too homely. Ended up buying the Camaro but my kids suffer trying to get in those back "seats." Whenever I need to take the little ones, unless it's in the neighborhood I usually take the wife's SUV. I'm betting I'd love the 3rd gen CTS-V (or the new CT6-V), but I'm unwilling to put that kind of money into a car. Thought about a Hellcat Charger, but they are supposedly going to update the platform and get off the LX at some point.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    If you're not familiar with JDM or Australian market vehicles, you'll find that the fastener spacing for the plates is different than that for the North American market. In the past, I've just used an old license plate (drilled in the appropriate places) turned around backwards as an adapter to mount the active plate.

I've seen a couple products out there to adapt for the plates; however, most seem to force the plate mounting location to be a good bit higher than what is optimal or even possible (due to overhangs or license lights, etc.). Well, I finally found a decent solution that is simple and mounts the plate at the exact same height as the JDM plate would be. One could make a set of these for themselves quite easily; however I opted to buy these and they work like a charm. The kit comes with the screws to attach the adapter to the car and appropriate thickness bushings to give you plenty of stand-off space for you to use your own hardware to mount the active plate to the adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0733NMLH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And here's the completed installation of the front plate on my Toyota Century:

View attachment 178612 View attachment 178613

Sing along, M i c k e y M o u s e

Redneck version: 5/16th drill bit and 2 seconds. Problem solved.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Thought about a Hellcat Charger, but they are supposedly going to update the platform and get off the LX at some point.

I think the Charger/Challenger will die forever before a platform change happens...people just aren’t buying cars in large-enough numbers to cover the development costs.

It’s all but certain that this will be the last-gen Camaro, and likely Mustang, that we’ll see. (Camaro supposedly dies in 2023; Ford is reportedly planning on riding the current Mustang platform until 2026).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom