• ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    1969 and 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429.

Saw one many, many years ago that a guy who owned a wrecking yard over Mount Pleasant Texas who had bought one brand new. I have only seen one other Boss 429 that was in car show years ago. These are pretty cool cars.

Had a fried who had a Ranchero with 429 Cobra Jet. Couldn’t keep the tires hooked up.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Had a fried who had a Ranchero with 429 Cobra Jet. Couldn’t keep the tires hooked up.

The Boss 429 had totally different heads. It was essentially a "Hemi" style head on the 385 Series 429 engine, but Chrysler has the trademarks to the name "Hemi", so Ford called them a "Crescent" engine instead.

There were IIRC only about 1300 Boss 429 Mustangs built in 1969 and 1970 to meet the rules for NASCAR. The 429 Cobra-Jet and Super Cobra-Jet were much more readily available to consumers, and offered in several different car lines than just a Mustang. The were even used as an option in Ford police car packages as well.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    3 pedals makes everything better. Very nice!

Almost every car since has worn the Blue Oval.
    Did in error try a couple GM products
    A toyota and a mazda.

Always wound up back to a FORD.

None of which have ever left me walking.

Some of the others did.

Even when my FORDs have quit always been able to “get it home” without a hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    My parents had a 76 tornado I drove it in school. Then a 81 coupe both pretty cars imho
    unnamed-7.jpg
    1981-Cadillac-GM.jpg

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    1969 and 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429.

Saw one many, many years ago that a guy who owned a wrecking yard over Mount Pleasant Texas who had bought one brand new. I have only seen one other Boss 429 that was in car show years ago. These are pretty cool cars.

Seen several every year when we would attend mid america mustang meet in Tulsa.
    Even rode in a couple.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Nice to see I am not the only MOPAR OR NO CAR lover in the forum. I had a 1969 Dodge Super Bee with the Ramcharger Hood, 440 magnum and 4 speed. Sold it in my first marriage....should have sold her instead. It looked just like this one, color and all. Looking for another but wow have the prices gone up. IT was the fastest car in Victoria TX for many years back in the 80's!!!
    69sbeebybrian_1.jpg

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Nice to see I am not the only MOPAR OR NO CAR lover in the forum. I had a 1969 Dodge Super Bee with the Ramcharger Hood, 440 magnum and 4 speed. Sold it in my first marriage....should have sold her instead. It looked just like this one, color and all. Looking for another but wow have the prices gone up. IT was the fastest car in Victoria TX for many years back in the 80's!!!
    69sbeebybrian_1.jpg

Good friend has a 70 Coronet Super Bee 440
    Column shift
    Bench seat version.
    He has owned it since his HS days. Hugger Orange is what the color is IIRC.

Nice car for a Dodge.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    69sbeebybrian_1.jpg
    very nice!
    Same color as my first 69 Road Runner.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Mopar, or Chrysler had different names for the same color, depending on which car line it was going on. The paint code was the same though across all their car lines.

The most common name was "Hemi Orange" but it was also called "Go-Mango Orange" as well.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Didn't MoPar have a color called Goofy Grape during that era?
    Plum crazy.....

Mopar called them their High-Impact colors. The same paint code would have a different name, depending on which car line it was going on. So a paint code could have two names for the same color. They had several of these bright or wild colors.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Interesting story of the black "Ferrari" used in the first several seasons of the show, wasn't even a real Ferrari. It was a Corvette chassis made to look like a 1972 Ferrari Daytona Spyder 365 GTS. Which even during the time the show was being filmed was a rare car, and very few even were in the United States. According to one source, only about 122 were manufactured.

During the first two seasons and two episodes from the third season, Detective Sonny Crockett drove a black 1972 Ferrari Daytona Spyder 365 GTS/4 replica with a Florida license plate ZAQ178.[2] Ferrari North America had turned down the request by Miami Vice for authentic Ferraris (they did the same with Magnum P.I., forcing that production to purchase 308 GTSs). Although Tom McBurnie is credited with planting the Daytona Spyder in the mind of the public, it was actually Al Mardekian, an importer of gray-market exoticars, who sold Miami Vice the two look-alike Ferraris for $49,000 each.[1] In total two Corvette Daytona replicas were used for the show, car 4 and then car 1 after the pilot which acted as the stunt car.[3] McBurnie was hired to build the bodies for the Corvette-chassised cars.[1] It was blown to pieces on the show with a hand-held Stinger missile launcher during an illegal arms deal.[4]

The "Ferraris" used in the first two seasons were actually re-bodied Corvettes based on a 1976 Corvette (car 1) and a 1981 (car 4) Chevrolet Corvette C3 chassis that had been modified with fiberglass body panels by specialty car manufacturer McBurnie Coachcraft to resemble an early-1970s Ferrari Daytona Spyder.[5] the tan and black leather interior as well as the convertible top was fabricated by Scott Draizin/Headsup industries based in Ft Lauderdale. Still, the very first scene in the pilot episode which has the black Daytona appearing, though for a few seconds, makes use of a real Ferrari Daytona owned by Dr. Roger Sherman of Coconut Grove, Florida. It can be clearly identified as a real Daytona (American version) by the door handles, side markers, windshield rake, sun visors, width variation and side vent windows. All moving close-up scenes were done on the back of a flatbed truck under the supervision of TIDE Ferrari Racing crew member / model Kimberly Denson of Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.

A part of this, was in the late 1980's I was managing a body shop, and the owner of the shop was a huge Corvette fanatic. He had a complete 1979 Corvette chassis, that had been declared totaled and he bought it for next to nothing. The frame, suspension and driveline were intact and had very few miles on them, but the body was thrashed to hell. The owner really was intrigued with the McBurnie kits, and he liked the black "Ferrari" from the TV series. We almost ended up doing a conversion on the 1979 chassis, but in the end we went a different direction instead. We ended using a Greenwood "wide-body" kit very similar to this. Car was painted in a very dark blue metallic paint color.

corvette1.jpeg

Top Bottom