Where can I find some NATO Ball Ammo?

Bullseye Shooter

Apr 28, 2008
Texas Panhandle
From a Yahoo search:
The Cartridge, 9mm, Ball, M882 is approved for service use with the M9, M10, and M11 pistols, both for training and for combat. The ammunition complies with NATO STANAG 4090 test requirements.
The M882 ball 9mm cartridge consists of a brass case, a copper alloy jacketed lead core bullet, a two-piece boxer-type primer, and a double-base propellant. The M882 has a plain bullet tip.

hk boy

Mar 4, 2009
Fort Worth
I went to Academy Sports last Saturday
bought 4 boxes of Winchester 9mm NATO ball ammo
box states for law enforcement use only
and that pressures are higher than normal 9mm ammo
does anybody know what's up with that??

hk boy

Mar 4, 2009
Fort Worth
I just found this on another site:

I don't have any way to measure pressure but few months ago I chronographed some (15 rounds) NATO ammo given to me by a friend in the military.

From my Beretta 92FS I got following measurement along with some other commercial loads measured on the same day for comparison:

NATO 124gr FMJ - 1,180 fps avg.
Remington 115gr JHP +P - 1,260 fps avg.
Corbon 115gr JHP +P+ - 1,290 fps avg.
UMC 115gr FMJ - 1,140 fps avg.
Winchester 115gr JHP Silver Tip - 1,170 fps avg.
Geco BAT 86gr (?) - 1,430 fps avg.

I was suprised by the low velocity of the NATO ammo. I thought the ammo was loaded to pressure higher than +P so I expected to be around 1,250~1,280 fps. Also, the recoil didn't fee any different than UMC ammo and definitely less than Corbon.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
The NATO ammo is inline with the Corbon +P+ loading according to that chrono which means it has a relatively high pressure. Depending on the bullet tension and the burn rate of the powder it's possible to create a very high amount of pressure with the heavier bullet even compared to a standard +P loading. Pressure over time is what gives velocity, not just peak pressure.

Personally I would avoid running NATO ammo in anything that isn't peak quality and in use by NATO militaries. HK, Glock, and Beretta 92s are used by NATO militaries. Stuff like Taurus, XDs, Kimbers, etc. aren't, and I personally would not take that risk.

Tired Retired

Jan 19, 2009
DFW Area
Well, the 124 gr bullet is 8% heavier than the 115 gr bullet. You were measuring velocity, not the cup pressure in the chamber or energy of the fired round. You may also want to review the weight differences in your reloading manuals for your powder - you will see that you top out pressure-wise with less powder for the 124 than you do with the 115. An even better example of energy difference between lighter vs heavier bullets (and without getting into a debate over 9mm vs 45 cal), you get alot more energy from a .45 acp at 950 fps than you do with a 9mm at 1200 fps - the major math-factor is the weight, not velocity.

Top Bottom