Texas SOT

Where do you keep your wallet while driving?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gmofftarki

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    Do you take it out of whatever pocket in which you keep it in hopes of not complicating an LEO pullover should one occur?
    Hurley's Gold

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I keep it in the same pocket I always do. If I were to get pulled over, I would expect the officer to ask my for my drivers license and insurance. He would expect to ask me that as well, so reaching for my wallet as soon as I pull over isn't something that would be seen as out of the ordinary by either party.

Unless of course your name is Philando Castile or you get pulled over by a cop who's either racist or an idiot. Then all bets are off.

But for the most part, getting your ID out before the cop gets to the window solves a lot of issue.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    NOPE. I don't get pulled over often, but when I do it's hands on the steering wheel until the officer approaches. Then I let him know I'm LTC and packing and follow instructions. My reaching for insurance in glove compartment once lead to having a gun pointed at me.

ETA: the more you shuffle in your car looking for something, the more nervous the cop gets. He doesn't know if aren't hiding drugs, a gun, a wet dildo...
    Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Stays right where it does every day in ny hip pocket. If I get pulled over, I usually pull it out as soon as Im in park and place it along with both hands on the wheel. Simple as that, wallet/IDs are out and LEO can see my hands when approaching the vehicle.

I really thing people overthink a simple traffic stop. Keep calm, do as the officer says, explain before reaching, be respectfull, etc. pretty simple.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

Gmofftarki

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    NOPE. I don't get pulled over often, but when I do it's hands on the steering wheel until the officer approaches. Then I let him know I'm LTC and packing and follow instructions. My reaching for insurance in glove compartment once lead to having a gun pointed at me.

ETA: the more you shuffle in your car looking for something, the more nervous the cop gets. He doesn't know if aren't hiding drugs, a gun, a wet dildo...

That's my inclination also, and that's why I asked the question. If the wallet is in a place such that I can, with minimal shuffling, place it on the dashboard for the next phase of the interaction, it seems to me that things might go more smoothly.

Of course the next question is what happens if you're not LTC and you're exercising your right to carry concealed in the car? That seemed like a recipe for disaster before I got my plastic (though I've yet to be pulled over in TX, anyway).

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    That's my inclination also, and that's why I asked the question. If the wallet is in a place such that I can, with minimal shuffling, place it on the dashboard for the next phase of the interaction, it seems to me that things might go more smoothly.

Of course the next question is what happens if you're not LTC and you're exercising your right to carry concealed in the car? That seemed like a recipe for disaster before I got my plastic (though I've yet to be pulled over in TX, anyway).
    Oddly enough there is no requirement to disclose a legal firearm in the car if you're not LTC. I probably still would because I respect cops and like living.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I wear a front pocket wallet. It's easy to pull it and slip the DL and insurance from a designated divider separate from the credit cards before I stop. No extra movement or cause for concern. Most of the time you simply can't swerve over when the lights come on. Just turn your blinker on and slow and find a safe place to conduct business. Just let the officer work his plan and have your info ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Long trips wallet goes on the dash or console

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I keep it in my front pocket until he gets to the window. I need to unbuckle and move quite a bit to get it out so I wait.

I generally avoid it by not breaking the law though.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    center console. I HATE sitting on my wallet.

This for me. 90 percent of the time I don't even carry a wallet unless I need cash. I carry my ID and Debit card and keys in a lanyard around my neck during my work day. I wear shorts for work most of the time (pool service) and a wallet is too bulky when having to carry a phone and CCW (not on the job) as well.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Door panel. Nothing to do with cops, used to keep it in my back pocket and it starting causing some nerve pain.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Back pocket. Wait for LEO to arrive at window, state I'm CHL AND carrying. Wait on response, and tell succinctly I am retrieving wallet. Never had a problem.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    While the officer is running my license I get my wallet and take out my DL and LTC as well as taking my insurance card out of the glove box. I have them in my hands and both hands on the steering wheel and the window down when the officer approaches.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    in my fanny pack, yes seriously. If I am pulled over both hands rest on the window seal of the driver side window one with DL in it the other with my cell phone which has my insurance information from GEICO... I never put my hands inside the car or out of visibility of the LEO... Before he even opens his/her mouth (which I've not been pulled over in over 10 years) I say "Sir/Ma'am I have a firearm on me I have a LTC and if you would like you can open the door with my hands on the seal here and remove it from my fanny pack. "

Why? Because I like breathing and I respect law enforcement.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I recently made the switch to a minimalist wallet that goes in the front left pocket and my back has never thanked me more.

I do not go out planing on getting a ticket. I do not weave in and out of traffic trying to get by just one more car. I do not speed. I do not tailgate.

I think the last time I was stopped was for no seat belt and it truly was a oversight on my part I am a seat belt advocate although I do not think there should be a belt law or a helmet law.

I simply left my hands on the wheel and followed the officers requests. When asked for ID I informed him I had a LTC and a pistol in the center console. He said thanks I will be right back. I got to leave with a warning.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It is interesting to me that someone would give thought to this topic. I always carry my wallet in the same place. I never get in the car thinking about getting stopped.

Top Bottom