• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Try to draw and fire your weapon from an SOB position when someone else is sitting on your chest pounding your face into hamburger or punching new holes into you with an edged weapon.

Add that to the injury risk and .......

Please don't get ego attached to your carry position or other tactics. We all can learn from others. I went to one shooting school where the instructor showed me TWO things I could change and do better. I had YEARS of training and experience in my old ways, but the new ways turned out to be better.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Is that injury risk idea the biggest fear? I just don't think it's as big of a risk as people think.

Well, I dunno if it's the biggest fear, but it should be of concern. IIRC, OSHA lists slips, trips, and falls as the most common causes of injuries for people.

That point aside, txinvestigator, brings up a good point in that it's hard to access while on your back. I think it's also implied that you'll make your arm vulnerable to be pinned/trapped behind your back to get your gun into play from SOB carry.

Here's a few of the cons to SOB carry:
    I'll add that SOB carry is pretty difficult to draw from while seated in a car.
    It's slower to draw from than appendix or strong side carry. The reason being the gun has to travel farther to get sights on target, and more difficult to clear a cover garment from.
    There is also a concern about protecting your pistol in holster, if you are grappling ranged lets say, from being taken away by VCA(s) ie bad guys.

IMHO, there are only a few situations where the SOB holster is warrented.
    However, this holster may suit you.
    FIST, INC.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Try to draw and fire your weapon from an SOB position when someone else is sitting on your chest pounding your face into hamburger or punching new holes into you with an edged weapon.

Add that to the injury risk and .......

Please don't get ego attached to your carry position or other tactics. We all can learn from others. I went to one shooting school where the instructor showed me TWO things I could change and do better. I had YEARS of training and experience in my old ways, but the new ways turned out to be better.

When you were in one of these schools, did they tech you not to let anyone get close enough to sit on your chest?

arvetus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Lufkin, TX

I couldn't agree more. Always keep an open mind and be willing to learn.
    I have wanted to go to shooting school for a while now... However, I've had to take care of other things. Valuable training as it is, it's not cheap. Soon, I keep telling myself, soon. For now, I just keep working what I know, and learning from others through reading blogs, conversation, and this forum :)

lance22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Minnesota, USA
    3:30 position, usually IWB. 7 days a week.

lancecarry_2009014_4.gif

DSC00693.jpg

bubbagump.jpg

Top: Carrying my Kahr P40, middle photo: carrying a Bersa Thunder CC, bottom photo: Kimber Tac II (4 inch). The Kimber is blued but in this photo it caught a reflection from a light.

rhenriksen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    IWB, 3-5 o'clock. I'm using velcro hooks on a Comp-TAC Spartan. Only thing I've been struggling with is that the holster (and belt) like to migrate clockwise over the course of the day.

siboyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Rio Grande Valley
    I've been a Texas CHL holder for about 14 years (is that right? well, more than 12 years at least. I forget). I find the most comfortable and accessible carry location is 4:00 PM in an IWB holster. I carry my Glock 26 in a Garrity Gunleather holster I had made for a Sig Sauer P225 and it works just fine. My S&W 442 I'll carry in a Galco IWB clip holster (not my favorite, but it works OK) or in a pocket holster. However, I am not much of a fan of pocket holster carry because of the weight. We wear jackets so seldom down here, I rarely have an opportunity to carry in an OWB holster.

rhenriksen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    I use a Comp-TAC Spartan with velcro hooks, IWB. Start the day off at about 3:30, and it wants to 'walk' back towards 5:00 during the day. I have to adjust a few times a day to keep it off my kidney/pelvis.

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    I use a Crossbreed supertuck @ 3:30 to 4:00 position with a 5.11 Belt. I recently aquired the belts at graveyard mall.com They were on closeout for 2.99 each. The CB belts are also allright. I ordered one with my holster. I was a bit disappointed that it just seems like 2 belts sewn together. I wish it was stiffer like the 5.11 belt.

Lance22, what kind of holster is that for the Bersa? That looks great.

lance22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Minnesota, USA
    I use a Crossbreed supertuck @ 3:30 to 4:00 position with a 5.11 Belt. I recently aquired the belts at graveyard mall.com They were on closeout for 2.99 each. The CB belts are also allright. I ordered one with my holster. I was a bit disappointed that it just seems like 2 belts sewn together. I wish it was stiffer like the 5.11 belt.

Lance22, what kind of holster is that for the Bersa? That looks great.

UBG Bonneville. It's worked out very well.

HogFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Combat Commander in a Garrity's Gunleather IWB when it is too warm for a jacket and in a Kramer Belt Scabbard the rest of the time. Both at about 3:30.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I just purchased a Taurus tcp and it fits perfect in my pocket. I am wondering what holster would be best for this small 308, a pocket holster or IWB? An OWB pouch comes with this hg and looks like a large cell phone holster but soon almost everyone will know what it really is. I am a little leery of carrying in this belt holster.
    All comments appreciated

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I am wondering what holster would be best for this small 308, a pocket holster or IWB? An OWB pouch comes with this hg and looks like a large cell phone holster but soon almost everyone will know what it really is..
    Both of those carry methods have their pros & cons. A couple of cons for the pocket carry is very difficult to draw while seated and very difficult to draw with your non-dominant hand.
    Pocket carry holsters I like the Uncle Mikes. One thing to remember is there are different size pockets (pants, jeans, jackets, etc..), so you will probably need to get multiple holsters. The good news is most are inexpensive.
    For IWB carry holsters are you considering strong side hip or appendix carry?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I just purchased a Taurus tcp and it fits perfect in my pocket. I am wondering what holster would be best for this small 308, a pocket holster or IWB? An OWB pouch comes with this hg and looks like a large cell phone holster but soon almost everyone will know what it really is. I am a little leery of carrying in this belt holster.
    All comments appreciated

Removal from the included holster is iffy at best. I just keep mine in my pocket while at the house....trigger pull is VERY long.

If you are a Masochist, for some excitement, order some Buffalo Bore +P ammo & give it a try......

Top Bottom