where should I go in Austin for my CHL class

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by 98f150, Dec 28, 2008.

1. 98f150

98f150 Member

Sep 20, 2008
    I am looking to take the class to get my CHL anyone know of aa good place?

2. CALI

CALI Active Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
  3. atxbandit

atxbandit New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
  4. jay524288

jay524288 Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I took mine (and the renewal) from Tom Schaefer of KR Training. A friend took hers at either Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse. From what she said, I'm glad I went through KR Training.

The class isn't actually in Austin, it's in Lockhart - about an hour away.

Another place to take the course is at Central Texas Protection Training Academy (Central Texas Protection Training Academy, LLC). It's also in Lockhart. The instructor is Matt Billingsley. He runs the best shooting range I've found in the area.

5. gunbubba

gunbubba Member Lifetime Member

Jan 2, 2009
    CHL at Red's

I have taken my renewal at Red's the last 2 times I have done it. Calvin teaches the course at the South store and he is a nice guy, retired cop. He keeps it interesting and doesn't spend a lot of time just droning on about the regs, and he has actually carried a gun quite a bit and can give you the policeman's perspective on how you will be seen/treated by law enforcement. The best part is that it is a one stop shop, they take your photos, notarize your docs and do your fingerprints. Plus you get to do your shooting on site.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have known Tom (at KR) for many years. He knows his stuff (retired cop). Karl (da boss) is great. Trained/shot IPSC w/him. Good guy.

If you want to insure you are not being taught by an undercover Mall Ninja. KR can guarantee quality instruction. And their range is on site

7. CTCHGC

CTCHGC New Member

Mar 4, 2009
  8. technoronin

technoronin New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I'm also looking for a place to take a CHL class. I'm often only in Austin over the weekends, so someplace that supplies all the paperwork as well as feeding me would be appreciated. No worries if it is a bit more than some classes, I'm willing to pay for the reduction in hassle factor. I live in north Austin, so someplace within half an hour or so would also be a good thing.

Hopefully there will be a good class with openings soon.

Suggestions?

9. bikerbill

bikerbill Active Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    Hey, Cali, last I checked Eagle Peak isn't doing CHLs anymore, tho they did give me a card for somebody who does ... I'm doing my renewal tommorrow with CAPS/CHL ... if you're interested, you can email the head guy at john@caps-chl.com ...

10. slowrey

slowrey Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I did Schaeffers too and had a great time. It was all inclusive so that rocked. Fingerprints, photos, paperwork, range, and hamburgers!