• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jay524288

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I took mine (and the renewal) from Tom Schaefer of KR Training. A friend took hers at either Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse. From what she said, I'm glad I went through KR Training.

The class isn't actually in Austin, it's in Lockhart - about an hour away.

Another place to take the course is at Central Texas Protection Training Academy (Central Texas Protection Training Academy, LLC). It's also in Lockhart. The instructor is Matt Billingsley. He runs the best shooting range I've found in the area.

gunbubba

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    CHL at Red's

I have taken my renewal at Red's the last 2 times I have done it. Calvin teaches the course at the South store and he is a nice guy, retired cop. He keeps it interesting and doesn't spend a lot of time just droning on about the regs, and he has actually carried a gun quite a bit and can give you the policeman's perspective on how you will be seen/treated by law enforcement. The best part is that it is a one stop shop, they take your photos, notarize your docs and do your fingerprints. Plus you get to do your shooting on site.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have known Tom (at KR) for many years. He knows his stuff (retired cop). Karl (da boss) is great. Trained/shot IPSC w/him. Good guy.

If you want to insure you are not being taught by an undercover Mall Ninja. KR can guarantee quality instruction. And their range is on site

technoronin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I'm also looking for a place to take a CHL class. I'm often only in Austin over the weekends, so someplace that supplies all the paperwork as well as feeding me would be appreciated. No worries if it is a bit more than some classes, I'm willing to pay for the reduction in hassle factor. I live in north Austin, so someplace within half an hour or so would also be a good thing.

Hopefully there will be a good class with openings soon.

Suggestions?

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    Hey, Cali, last I checked Eagle Peak isn't doing CHLs anymore, tho they did give me a card for somebody who does ... I'm doing my renewal tommorrow with CAPS/CHL ... if you're interested, you can email the head guy at john@caps-chl.com ...

slowrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I did Schaeffers too and had a great time. It was all inclusive so that rocked. Fingerprints, photos, paperwork, range, and hamburgers!

austex58

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Just completed the CHL class (3/19/09) with Ross and Dottie Bransford. I was told by friends that have their CHL that the class is the most boring time they have ever spent. Well, they didn't take their class with the Branfords. The class was very organized, ran smoothly, and was anything but boring. They made the class so interesting, I would gladly sit through another 10 hours with Ross and Dottie.

http://chl-texas.com/[url]http://chl-texas.com/[/URL]

Top Bottom