• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2wheelz4me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    I am wanting to get my first pistol, well my first big boy pistol. I have a .22 and want a 9mm. Curious where most of you buy your guns and why you buy them there. Big Box like Cabela's, gun shows, pawn shops, or private individuals, etc. Let's hear your thoughts. Thanks!!

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    I have bought at gun shows (before the election) at great prices and at local gun shops at times. Academy has about the best prices of the Big Box stores but there are a lot of places online that have good prices (sometimes really great prices) depending on what you are looking for at the time. Might try GunBroker.com, Able, Impact, Gun Source, etc. Usually no taxes and $25 shipping; just have to find a FFL to do the transfer for anywhere from $15 up. Do a google search for online handgun dealers; there's lots of them.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Depends on who has a good deal and stock when you are ready to buy. Bought my first (the BuckMark) at Oshmans, a now out of business big box store. Bought the second (USP9f) just after the election at a gun show and the latest (P30) last week from Bud's Guns online.

Shop around until you find the deal you want. I was kind of interested in the P30 and had been having a hard time finding one in stock at a reasonable price. When I talked to guy at Bud's, he had one in stock and would ship that day via 2nd day air included in the price. In a moment of weakness, I said my credit number is ...

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I stay local, there is a shop in Spring that I "volunteer" at, so just asbout every one of my purchases is made there...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    no one right answer....I have bought at big sotres, pawn shops, lots of private owners...
    just depends on who has whatyou want, when you want it.
    private sale is the easiest.
    if you go big store, Academy is hard to beat on price (gns and ammo), but not always the most knowledgable people.
    smaller stores have more customer service, but usually higher prices.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Where are you in Texas?

If you're in the Houston area, skip the biggie stores like Carters, Gander and Bass Pro - they're a complete rip-off. They DO have a nice store, but they cater to the lazy and impulsive buyer first.

Try Tomball Pawn (worth the drive) or maybe Fountain Fireams. They are reasonably priced and very helpful.

I'd also avoid Collectors Firearms...they're great to browse, but their prices are high because they are in the high rent district.

There are several online retailiers that ar good as well and you could order from them and have it shipped to a local FFL. I have done this several times, when everyone locally, was too high. Do some reaerch, because soemtimes the transfer fee and shipping eat up any savings from just walking in and buying locally.

- Brickboy240

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Big box stores are great.......for looking at a bunch of guns in the case that most will let you paw all over, although everyone paws all over them and the big box store forgets they need cleaning up. But you can see a bunch; not necessarily the ones most shooters prefer, but you never know.

If you're serious about buying, Welcome to SportingArms.com, your source for discount firearms, ammo, and accessories. Brands such as Browning, Kimber, Remington, Sigarms, Colt, Winchester and more.. They're in Lewisville and do a lot of business on-line but also in person by appointment. If you're in the area, you know where Lewisville is. If not, still give them a shot as their pricing, even with FFL fee's will likely rival any quote you get.

Oh, and "big boy gun"? Come on now; that's not something a grown-up would say. There is no such thing as a "toy" gun. If it fires a projectile, it's a "big boy gun". Some just make bigger messes than others. But a person dead or injured with little mess is just as dead or injured as the one with a big mess.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I alway's try to buy gun's new.I want a warranty in case anything is wrong with the gun.Dealing with someone local is usually a good option but you will pay more.If you order thru the internet you can usually save money because you will not have to pay tax.But if you have any problem's with a gun they do not know you and you will have to deal with the manufacturer on your own.I have some good local gun shops that will take back a firearm if there is something wrong.

2wheelz4me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Thanks for all the comments guys! I think I have decided on the Glock 17 or 22 ... not sure if I want to go .40 or 9mm but have it nailed down to these two. Now I just have to find the best price I can. Thanks again!

QBToo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    Dallas, TX (North Carrollton)
    For guns costing more than $500 I normally can get a better price from an online out of state dealer because the shipping and FFL transfer fee is less than sales tax (and there prices are normally lower than local prices). There are about five out of states dealers I buy from and their product has always been NIB as advertised.

If the difference is small I would rather purchase from my normal FFL and that is Sporting Arms in Lewisville.

Occassionally I have purchased from Jeff Schramm/SAWS if he has a gun that no one else has and I just "have to have it". Also he normally has great prices on Glocks and Berettas.

perchjerk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Sup Brickboy240!

Perchjerk form xdtalk!

Anyway, i agree with brick about avoiding collectors. its like 10 minutes form my place so i kill time in there alot but they rly do have some rediculously high prices lately. ive found my best deals at some houston gun shows. good luck with uyour search!

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    I try to support my local gunshop whenever I can, but gunshows are great sometimes (saved $100 on a Kimber compared to that gunshop, so it's worth a trip to a gunshow near you). I shop Cabela's but generally just for ammo, their gun prices are not especially attractive, at least at the Buda outlet ...

grayhawkdr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    DFW
    The Cabelas in Fort Worth also seems higher than most on both their new and used guns. I looked at a Sig GSR and told the salesperson I thought it was higher than where I could get it elsewhere. He wrote down their tag number and sent me to a manager in the gun library. Told me to ask for better pricing. They actually did come down about another five percent, but that was still steeper than what I believed normal market price to be. But, I did appreciate the effort of the salesperson and they did come down a little off the original listed price.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Thanks for all the comments guys! I think I have decided on the Glock 17 or 22 ... not sure if I want to go .40 or 9mm but have it nailed down to these two. Now I just have to find the best price I can. Thanks again!

--------------

You're probably not going to find more than a $75 swing in the prices of Glocks. You never said what part of the state you are located in. If you're in DFW, I've got some suggestions for you.

Top Bottom