• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jack010203

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Hi everyone i am a total newbi and have decided that my first gun will be a AK-47 clone specifically a wasr 10 hicap model 2. The problem is i cant seem to find anyone who sells anything but pistols, shotguns, and hunting rifles. The two biggest towns next to me are Amarillo and Lubbock, is there a gun dealer who sells this gun or something similar that you would recomend in either of these towns?

Thanks

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would suggest trying to find a Yugoslavian AK. They are considerably better in the quality department for not much more money.

WASRs should be available at most stores. They are cheap and popular.

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    It's a hit or mis with the WASR10.

These rifles are usualy poor quality and produced by a company called Century Arms. They tend to dislike JHP and HP ammo which isn't bad since most of us use FMJs. It's also not uncommon to find one with canted front sights. So I strongly suggest not buying one sight unseen.

Personaly, I would look into a rifle produced by Arsenal, Vector and or Ohio Rapidfire.

ARSENAL INC

Product Listing - Complete_AK_Rifles

You can always check out Gunbroker.com as well.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    +1 on getting a Yugo or Arsenal AK.The last WASR I got had a canted sight and was very poor quality.If you want to order one online J&G sales has them,but I recommend that you read the reviews from customers before you purchase one.Welcome to the forum.When you order online you only need to pay the shipping to a FFL dealer in your area and pay the transfer fee.Gunbroker.com has a list of people with a FFL in your area.The normal transfer fee is $20 to $35 but some charge as much as $50.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I have one and I think it's a decent weapon. It was just a cheap AK at the local gun shop to me. I didn't have the problem with the front sight the other people had. It's not the best but good enough. I'll get a better quality AK next time, as long as it's an underfolder or pistol!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I had a WASR. I'll say this much, for all the people whining about quality, IT'S A FRIGGIN AK GET OVER IT! Honestly, I don't care too much about quality when it comes to AK's. As long as it's reliable, gets the job done, and is durable as hell that's what makes it an AK IMO. For the price, a WASR isn't bad, though you can find some better quality ones like the Yugo's for barely any more money (like $50-100 sometimes), so it's worth a consideration.

The funny thing about WASR's is I've noticed that typically they are sold and packaged almost with sort of a random "grab bag" of extra stuff tossed in the box. lol Mine came with an extra stock, so I had a regular stock as well as the stupid AWB legal thumbhole stock, plus some other odds and ends like a stainless oil bottle, some of them come with bayonets and other random items.

jack010203

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    hey thanks for the advice guys i think im going to look into those yugos. just got to find a place to buy it now :confused:

stockFD3S

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Leon Valley, TX
    I personally love my WASR-10 which I bought sight unseen. Some say I got lucky. Only major modification was using a dremmel to open the magazine well slightly. Some mags wouldn't fit prior to that. Good luck with what you choose.

This site also has some good information.

Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles

Shiner Bock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    DFW
    Check out gun shows. There are tons of them at all the DFW shows I go to. That is one gun I would not want to buy sight unseen. There can be a lot of variance from gun to gun.

jack010203

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Thanks for the advice guys, I think yall have talked me into the yugo. Im tring to get prices for 1 now, but what is a rough estimate for 1 of these?

Thanks again

friedk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    You can get a Russian Ishmaz AK for 325ish(Saiga) if you don't mind the sporter stock and proprietary mags.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    The bayonet lug is grinded off and cannot be replaced(or so what my gunsmith told me).They are also welding the comp on. I also bought one without the lug and got a bayonet with it.I would have been happier if they had just given me another mag since I could not use the bayonet.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    IIRC, I believe the bayonet lug on AK's is typically located under the gas block, however I believe I have seen some before in which the lug is on the bottom of the front sight block. Either way, I don't believe it is a separate piece. I think installing one will require replacing either the gas block or the front sight block since the lug is part of it (probably the gas block).

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom