• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • el_chupo_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Cleburne
    Hello everyone!

I have a couple .22 cans in the works, so now I am looking at the hosts for them. At this time I have a 22/45 Lite and a P22 threaded. I also have a M&P 15-22 threaded barrel, and a couple 10/22s that will get threaded barrels (or have theirs threaded).

I have also purchased a Noveske lower that I will be doing a Form 1 on to SBR, and I am pretty sure I will do a M&P 15-22 as an SBR as well. I spoke with Ident Marking in Rockwall, and they will happily do the forged lower for me, but they said they couldnt do the 15-22, as the polymer would melt.

So now I am looking at solutions. Thoughts:

1. Find someone that can do CNC mill engraving.
    or
    2. Do it myself.

I know 1/16th height for SN, and .003 deep. I have a fairly short trust name and location (9 characters, and 12 characters, including spaces and comma), so I was thinking about doing something like a engraving pen and stencil, or wood burning kit and stencil, then a light sanding to knock off any raised edges.

I was thinking I could do this on the right side of the lower, near the safety selector where I have plenty of thickness to work with. Since the "receiver extension" is permenantly attached, I guess I could also do it back there.

Anyone have any better ideas, or know of a place that can do the milling for me in polymer?

Thanks!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    A Dremel with a tiny engraving bit should work. They are pretty easy to use and cheap enough to buy. Check Walmart or HD/ Lowes for the engraving bits and see which one will work best for you. There are a couple of options on size available.

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Just a heads up, if you register the lower as an SBR I don't believe you can leave it somewhere or send it away for engraving. To my knowledge, you would have to be there with the lower. (Since it wouldn't be in your possession at the time.)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, maybe there's some sort of "repair" clause, but I thought this sort of thing could run into some potentially pretty big problems.

el_chupo_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Cleburne
    It wounldnt be an SBR when I do the engraving, just a run of the mill lower, out for repair/work. And after engraving, it will be a run of the mill 15-22 that happens to have my trust name on it. After it is engraved I will submit the form 1. Then, once I get the stamp back, I will proceed with cutting the barrel down to actually make it an SBR.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Without a barrel its nothing but a normal receiver

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Short Barreled Rifles and Shotguns | ATF

Q: I possess a properly registered SBR or SBS. I intend to strip the receiver and remove the barrel prior to selling the receiver. Is the bare receiver still subject to regulation under the NFA as a SBR or SBS?

A stripped receiver without a barrel does not meet the definition of a SBR or SBS under the NFA. Although the previously registered firearm would remain registered unless the possessor notified the NFA Branch of the change, there is no provision in statute or regulation requiring registration of a firearm without a barrel because its physical characteristics would make it only a GCA “firearm” pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3)(B). If the subsequent owner buys the receiver as a GCA firearm and installs a barrel less than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS), the firearm would be subject to a $200 making tax and registration under the NFA by the manufacturer or maker of the SBR or SBS. Because registration depends upon the stated intent of the applicant, there is no provision to allow registration of a NFA firearm by anyone other than the maker or manufacturer.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    If you want it to look good then don't do it yourself. The 20-50 bucks its going to cost you in tools and then tons of practice its just not worth it in my book to have some "hand made" engraving. Find a small machine shop with cnc eq and see if they will do it for you. If they can do aluminum then they can do plastic. You can also try trophy shops or jewelry shops but might want to call and ask before you bring a gun in lol :)

As far as melting poly they suck if they cant do it :) unless its a laser then It might melt. If they are hesitant over doing it you might suggest that if it gets buggered up you will just eat the cost and let them know they will not be responcible for replacing it if its scratched or a boo boo happens.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    here is my first attempt at using our cnc mill to engrave a 80% lower.At least the letters are crisp and clean :) unlike trying to freehand with a dremle

lower001.jpg

Last edited:

el_chupo_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Cleburne
    If you want it to look good then don't do it yourself. The 20-50 bucks its going to cost you in tools and then tons of practice its just not worth it in my book to have some "hand made" engraving. Find a small machine shop with cnc eq and see if they will do it for you. If they can do aluminum then they can do plastic. You can also try trophy shops or jewelry shops but might want to call and ask before you bring a gun in lol :)

As far as melting poly they suck if they cant do it :) unless its a laser then It might melt. If they are hesitant over doing it you might suggest that if it gets buggered up you will just eat the cost and let them know they will not be responcible for replacing it if its scratched or a boo boo happens.

Ident is where I am going to take the forged lower, they do laser engraving. I talked to them, they used to do polymer, but they have stopped due to some issues with it. I would love to find a place with a CNC machine that will do the engraving for me, but I have checked with a couple local shops that sell NFA items, neither of them knew of a place.

Frankly, I am less concerned about looks if I do it on the buffer tube (Ill do it toward the back so it will be covered anyways), and more concerned about it being legal and ready to play. I may consider just having Ident Marking do the barrel, and not worry about it.

Shooter74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Grey Laser in San Antonio will do your 15-22. I had mine done there while waiting. He takes his time, nice and slow. Repeated passes until it meets the required depth.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    If I am not mistaken you cant hide the engraving it has to be in plain sight. But I am no expert so your mileage may very.

Ya it is was an 80% and it was done a while ago I put pistol on it before I knew it did not need to be and the # was so I could SBR it.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Just a heads up, if you register the lower as an SBR I don't believe you can leave it somewhere or send it away for engraving. To my knowledge, you would have to be there with the lower. (Since it wouldn't be in your possession at the time.)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, maybe there's some sort of "repair" clause, but I thought this sort of thing could run into some potentially pretty big problems.

Completely wrong.

Top Bottom