• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gonyea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    MCB Quantico
    My home of record is in Texas but i am currently stationed Virginia... My only dilema is that i don't know which state i should get a concealed carry license! The two main factors are
    Virginia is not recognized by California which will be my duty station next year.
    Virginia's process is much easy to obtain the CHL military are not required to take the class.
    Plus getting home to TX right now is a little but of a challenge.

My question is, do I as an active duty Marine have to take all of the classes in Texas and if no can i make all my applications online or at a distance at least?

Thanks for all the help!:patriot:
    Texas SOT

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Your Texas CHL will not be recognized in California, either. As active duty military, you don't have to take the shooting proficiency if you can document that you've passed a military handgun shooting proficiency test within the past year. Otherwise, you're still required to take the full 10 hours just like everyone else.

I'm unclear on whether or not you can take the Texas CHL class outside of Texas. I'd be open to working out some sort of webcam class for you if DPS would allow it. If you're interested, I'll kick off an email to DPS to get an opinion. We'll work out the details later.

Gonyea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    MCB Quantico
    i would really appreciate it. I am still getting my VA CHL though... I thought i saw on the dps site that Cali accepted TX CHL's?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm unclear on whether or not you can take the Texas CHL class outside of Texas. I'd be open to working out some sort of webcam class for you if DPS would allow it. If you're interested, I'll kick off an email to DPS to get an opinion. We'll work out the details later.

I am interested in the DPS response to the webcam class.

I know DPS will not certify a range outside of Texas, which is why a person has to come to Texas to take the class. If the person is not required to submit to the shooting proficiency then I know of no law or rule prohibiting a person from taking a class outside of Texas.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    i would really appreciate it. I am still getting my VA CHL though... I thought i saw on the dps site that Cali accepted TX CHL's?

Texas accepts California's, but they don't accept ours.

And I'll see if what DPS says about the webcam class. If you can meet the proficiency requirements with a military proficiency test, I believe the class and the written test shouldn't be a problem... but what do I know?

Gonyea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    MCB Quantico
    I haven't been to the Marine Corps pistol range so that might be a problem but other than that i am pretty excited. Where is Spring TX next time i am home i can get everything done if this doesn't work out!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Get the VA permit while you're there (can't hurt!). It works here in TX as well for the meantime until you have a more convenient time to take the CHL and not be crammed for time (if DPS doesn't allow correspondence). As for CA, they're not great to host anything firearm related anyway so deal with them when you get there.

Requal results can be sent by mail for renewals but not sure about initial testing. (my DH was doing his renewal packet when we were in Japan).

Good luck getting permits done!

Gonyea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    MCB Quantico
    Im have my VA paperwork in but i heard since i am a TX resident a VA CHL wont carry over do to the fact that Texas is my home of record is this true?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Im have my VA paperwork in but i heard since i am a TX resident a VA CHL wont carry over do to the fact that Texas is my home of record is this true?

Well, what we've found that works well is a current set of orders in the state you are stationed ;)

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    What i mean is when in TX my VA permit will be void do to the fact that I am a TX resident and should therefore have a TX permit

Can you specify when? On leave or PCS it doesn't matter, your orders cover you. Once you do get to TX for any considerable time, you apply for TX CHL sooner rather than later.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    According to DPS:

[FONT]To be exempt from shooting proficiency test, active military person must provide a copy of their military pistol qualification scores within the last five years.[/FONT][FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT]All Concealed handgun courses must be taught in the State of Texas and must physically attend the course.[/FONT]

So, I guess that's a NO-GO on the webcam class.
    [FONT][/FONT][FONT][/FONT]

Gonyea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    MCB Quantico
    Well thank you for looking into it so much for me. When I come home on leave next I will have to make the drive down and attend your class.
    In apprecition for everything you have done so far and all in the future I'll bring some Presidential Helicopter Squadron Memorabilia for you.

Top Bottom