• leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Where did “America” go ?

The America of evening baseball, BBQ’s, siting on porches to greet passing pedestrian-neighbors, and everyone at Church on Sunday mornings?.

The twin synchronous “advances” of TV & home air conditioning drove us all behind walls in ghe mid- 1950’s.

This began an isolation from our neighbors, which has increased in these days of laptop computers and inexpensive long-distance phone calls.

Have we all become those uncaring “neighbors” who watched Kitty Genovese stalked and brutally murdered from their windows, not a one lifting a finger to help?

Even more menacing; those “advances” simplified the task of tyrants seeking to make folks trust government instead of their neighbors.

Where to next ?

Can’t end well. . . . . . .

Or, could it ?

leVieux

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 2, 2023, at 6:31 AM, John T. Landry <jtlandry45@gmail.com> wrote:
    Attached is a syndicated magazine column written by our niece and Godchild, Paige Spooner, who lives in the Atlanta area. I thought it was worth sharing.
    <Twice Bitten Column 0223.pdf>
    Hurley's Gold

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Ivory Coast is nice this time of year.

No extradition treaty with U.S.
    <>

I’ve had Friends from Cote D’Ivoire, but they all liked Texas better.

Even had to learn English. Their Francais is different from that in Texas, too.

France doesn’t extradite French citizens, either. As in Roman Polanski.

leVieux

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    <>

I’ve had Friends from Cote D’Ivoire, but they all liked Texas better.

Even had to learn English. Their Francais is different from that in Texas, too.

France doesn’t extradite French citizens, either. As in Roman Polanski.

leVieux
    I knew an attorney who had to live there a few years until he was able to settle legal issues and return to the U.S.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    <>

Where did “America” go ?

The America of evening baseball, BBQ’s, siting on porches to greet passing pedestrian-neighbors, and everyone at Church on Sunday mornings?.

The twin synchronous “advances” of TV & home air conditioning drove us all behind walls in ghe mid- 1950’s.

This began an isolation from our neighbors, which has increased in these days of laptop computers and inexpensive long-distance phone calls.

Have we all become those uncaring “neighbors” who watched Kitty Genovese stalked and brutally murdered from their windows, not a one lifting a finger to help?

Even more menacing; those “advances” simplified the task of tyrants seeking to make folks trust government instead of their neighbors.

Where to next ?

Can’t end well. . . . . . .

Or, could it ?

leVieux

Sent from my iPad

There may still be some who respect Isaac Davis.

OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    Back when I was a kid (50's) you were generally kept out of the house until it got dark.

I've heard good things about Belize. English is the official language which is more than we can say for the US. Gun laws a bit iffy; max caliber is 9mm and no more than 100 rounds of ammo. Wife and I are taking a cruise later this year that includes a stop there. Who knows, if things get any worse we just may not get back on the ship.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Back when I was a kid (50's) you were generally kept out of the house until it got dark.

I've heard good things about Belize. English is the official language which is more than we can say for the US. Gun laws a bit iffy; max caliber is 9mm and no more than 100 rounds of ammo. Wife and I are taking a cruise later this year that includes a stop there. Who knows, if things get any worse we just may not get back on the ship.

You may want to speak w/ someone who has direct experience. A Dear Friend of mine, a retired Judge, bought some property there years back and, plans changed, so he sold for a nice profit years later. Their government wouldn’t let him take his $600K profits out of their nation. So every year he & his Wife spend a month or so in luxury resorts there, using the money in-country.

Central American Nations mainly use “boiler-plate” gun laws patterened after Mexico’s. So “9mmPB” is illegal but “9mmK/.380ACP” is OK. No military or magnum calibers are permitted. IDK the specifics in Belize.

A classmate of my Wife spent some 5. months in a Mexican prison b/c one of his Sons had left ONE 30.06 cartridge in his pickup.

Republic of Panama and Costa Rica have even more strict gun laws.

leVieux

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Belize is a great place to visit.
    I wouldn't want to live there.
    I think firearms are illegal.
    Not sure.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    no matter where 'else' you go you'll always be an 'ugly' American and targeted. everyone else will think you're rich and easy and hate you for it, regardless; even if you 'started' there and go back. and given the choice most if not all of them 'there' want to come here openly expressed or secretly coveted. But, it any of ya'll want to go somewhere else... I'll be happy to care for your guns and stuff while you're there.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    no matter where 'else' you go you'll always be an 'ugly' American and targeted. everyone else will think you're rich and easy and hate you for it, regardless; even if you 'started' there and go back. and given the choice most if not all of them 'there' want to come here openly expressed or secretly coveted. But, it any of ya'll want to go somewhere else... I'll be happy to care for your guns and stuff while you're there.
    <>

Understood,

but,

what if we have to leave ?

No-one thinks that could happen to them. We all know that History tells us otherwise !

leVieux

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    <>

Where did “America” go ?

Well said! Example:

I built this one in 2002, and lived in it until we recently sold it (property taxes just too unrealistic and onerous ($17,000+/year) to stay in retirement).

During that time built 4 more like it in our little city surrounded by Houston, until the City of West University Place outlawed the entire architectural genre ("interfered with the street scape" WTF) because a couple of useful idiots on the zoning and planning committee felt "overpowered" by the balconies when walking down the sidewalk. Yep, seriously!

They preferred front loading garages, and folks who lived in the back yard ... made for more "airconditioned space", AKA higher property taxes.

We were one of the few who didn't live in the backyard, and knew, and greeted, all the neighbors who walked by in the evening for 20 years.

At Halloween we'd drop a bucket full of candy on a rope from the balcony to the trick-or-treating kids down below, many who brought their children years later to enjoy the experience.

Yep, sad times ... damn sad.

Attachments

• Azaleas - 4214 Oberlin.JPG
      Azaleas - 4214 Oberlin.JPG
      209.5 KB · Views: 34
    Top Bottom