I'm not moving....

iil7j6wg2fzgaalvfcz7.jpeg
    Military Camp

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well said! Example:

I built this one in 2002, and lived in it until we recently sold it (property taxes just too unrealistic and onerous ($17,000+/year) to stay in retirement).

During that time built 4 more like it in our little city surrounded by Houston, until the City of West University Place outlawed the entire architectural genre ("interfered with the street scape" WTF) because a couple of useful idiots on the zoning and planning committee felt "overpowered" by the balconies when walking down the sidewalk. Yep, seriously!

They preferred front loading garages, and folks who lived in the back yard ... made for more "airconditioned space", AKA higher property taxes.

We were one of the few who didn't live in the backyard, and knew, and greeted, all the neighbors who walked by in the evening for 20 years.

At Halloween we'd drop a bucket full of candy on a rope from the balcony to the trick-or-treating kids down below, many who brought their children years later to enjoy the experience.

Yep, sad times ... damn sad.
    <>

Sympathies. . . . .

The attitudes & problems you endured are not unique.

West U was once a jewel of calmness & dignity.

Perhaps those seeking appointments to zoning boards, HOA’s, etc. should have to undergo qualifying psychological testing.

I hear horror stories from F&F in Florida, Dallas & Houston.

We bought our own entire mini-subdivision, 3.6ac, most of which is outside city limits; yet they still could dictate the height of my range hood from the floor, so once more I’m getting forehead bruises.

Being a dog lover, I have a very nice & polite dog.

Note the dog pen, it is of my own design for a single dog. It has a water faucet, weather protection, & its own sewer system. Every time, the “Code Inspectors” reject my plan. I’ve learned to call for a showdown; I make a site appointment for then to visit, via their supervisor. Then I call & tell that I’ll have a copy of their codes, my Engineer, & my Attorney there for “discussion”. I have yet had an inspector show-up for the appointment; so I go ahead with the build and never hear from them again.

Attachments

• 497A24DA-1E77-4603-BA62-D2316E6E6B01.jpeg
      497A24DA-1E77-4603-BA62-D2316E6E6B01.jpeg
      542.3 KB · Views: 37
    • 28712053-F677-4663-8DAC-6F155DFAFFB5.jpeg
      28712053-F677-4663-8DAC-6F155DFAFFB5.jpeg
      812.2 KB · Views: 35

OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    Well said! Example:

I built this one in 2002, and lived in it until we recently sold it (property taxes just too unrealistic and onerous ($17,000+/year) to stay in retirement).

During that time built 4 more like it in our little city surrounded by Houston, until the City of West University Place outlawed the entire architectural genre ("interfered with the street scape" WTF) because a couple of useful idiots on the zoning and planning committee felt "overpowered" by the balconies when walking down the sidewalk. Yep, seriously!

They preferred front loading garages, and folks who lived in the back yard ... made for more "airconditioned space", AKA higher property taxes.

We were one of the few who didn't live in the backyard, and knew, and greeted, all the neighbors who walked by in the evening for 20 years.

At Halloween we'd drop a bucket full of candy on a rope from the balcony to the trick-or-treating kids down below, many who brought their children years later to enjoy the experience.

Yep, sad times ... damn sad.
    Beautiful house. It is probably a bit too "antebellum" for the woke folks now in your zoning & planning commission. See if you can find an unincorporated area for your next one.

I know when I moved here from So Cal a few years ago, I was amazed how easy it is to get something accomplished. I live in an unincorporated area of Orange County and when I needed to build a fence I was able to just do it. When I did a similar project back in CA, the permits, inspections, etc added a substantial amount to the project.
    Funny story; when I bought the Ca house in 1976, there was 20x15 pad poured in the backyard as the old owner had pulled permits for a house addition that was never followed up on. I had an inspector demand I have the pad removed if I was not going to use it as intended. Just told them to pound sand as the proper permit had been pulled and inspected in 1960 something. I had ground down the embedded stud-wall bolts and was using the pad for pool furniture.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Y'all. The 1950s are part of how we got here... and not even the start of the path. Honestly, this whole result was predictable from at least the 1860s, or I'd argue all the way back to 1789..
    First nail in the coffin:
    Right of everyman to vote.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom