• ...and so much more!
  • RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    Great thread. I just bought a Two story home. I'm also in the market for a gun safe. Wife said I could out in the dining room, but I really want to put in the master bedroom. I was looking into getting a Liberty Safe since they make in several colors you can choose from to match the decor. Can I put a 30+ Gun safe in my second floor bedroom and not worry about the weight?

This is the safe I'm considering.
    http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-franklin-safes-ps-6.html?tab=colors

Last edited:

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    All but 1 are negated by the fact that most people install a light anyway, so the lightbulb serves dual purpose. Ymmv

I have a battery powered LED light in mine that is triggered by movement. Also have one mounted on the wall next to the safe to help illuminate it in case of power failure, so I can see the combo pad.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Great thread. I just bought a Two story home. I'm also in the market for a gun safe. Wife said I could out in the dining room, but I really want to put in the master bedroom. I was looking into getting a Liberty Safe since they make in several colors you can choose from to match the decor. Can I put a 30+ Gun safe in my second floor bedroom and not worry about the weight?

This is the safe I'm considering.
    http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-franklin-safes-ps-6.html?tab=colors

Id think the safe makers would have guidelines. Interesting question though and id like to see the actual math behind the answer.

Id think so long as you spread the weight over the joists and kept it near a load bearing wall you would be OK. I mean...yes its a lot of weight but if i stand on one foot that is a lot of pressure over a much smaller area however i know this question is different because of the duration of placement.

There is this consideration however...God forbid you had a fire...a serious fire...that safe is going through the floor with your guns along for the wild ride.

ares338

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Paris, Texas
    I have a Winchester gun safe with a 24gun capacity. I wanted to leave it out because I thought it would add to the decor but the wifey won. I wound up putting it in the closet of the office off of our master bedroom. I didn't bolt it to the floor because it took 4 stout young men to position it in that closet and it weighs 507 lbs so if a burger could carry that sucker off I didn't want to mess with him anyhow. Any gun that my wife and I aren't carrying is in that safe with a desiccant rod inside. It's the only way to go IMHO.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have a Winchester gun safe with a 24gun capacity. I wanted to leave it out because I thought it would add to the decor but the wifey won. I wound up putting it in the closet of the office off of our master bedroom. I didn't bolt it to the floor because it took 4 stout young men to position it in that closet and it weighs 507 lbs so if a burger could carry that sucker off I didn't want to mess with him anyhow. Any gun that my wife and I aren't carrying is in that safe with a desiccant rod inside. It's the only way to go IMHO.

Anything that weighs less than 800 lbs. is considered portable. Even if you don't bolt it down atleast put some TapCons in it or something. Two guys with a dolly and some motivation may surprise you. Just something to think about.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Anything that weighs less than 800 lbs. is considered portable. Even if you don't bolt it down atleast put some TapCons in it or something. Two guys with a dolly and some motivation may surprise you. Just something to think about.

Amen! I was surprised how easily it was to put mine in my closet. It's only 400 pounds, but I did it myself and I'm NOT a large muscular person.
    Just had a dolly and a ratcheting strap. I bolted mine down. I'm sure if it's upstairs, that makes it a LOT harder to get out.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've been needing another safe for awhile now and saw these on sale For $550 this weekend at Tractor Supply. Seemed like good quality for the money. Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - Tractor Supply Co.
    Picked one up today, but don't have it where I want just yet. I have a specific room in the house dedicated to guns stuff, so that's where the safes go :green:

I didn't bolt it to the floor because it took 4 stout young men to position it in that closet and it weighs 507 lbs so if a burger could carry that sucker off I didn't want to mess with him anyhow.
    You don't bolt it to the floor to prevent them from carring it off; you bolt it down so that they can't maneuver it onto it's back and pry it open. Safes are at their most vulnerable when on their back where someone could get good leverage on a pry bar.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    I've been needing another safe for awhile now and saw these on sale For $550 this weekend at Tractor Supply. Seemed like good quality for the money. Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - Tractor Supply Co.
    Picked one up today, but don't have it where I want just yet. I have a specific room in the house dedicated to guns stuff, so that's where the safes go :green:

You don't bolt it to the floor to prevent them from carring it off; you bolt it down so that they can't maneuver it onto it's back and pry it open. Safes are at their most vulnerable when on their back where someone could get good leverage on a pry bar.

Exactly....with a long enough pry bar, the safe can be opened.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I would keep the cabinet in the closet near the bathroom if this is the most secure place in your domicile There isn't going to be enough humidity coming from the bathroom (being that you use the ventilation fan correctly) to cause your gear to rust. Normal cleaning and oiling should always be done regardless and will be adequate. Being in Texas we run our AC's most of the year pulling most of the humidity out. What I would do and have done to mine is to use a light self adhesive gasket to slow down the exchange rate of air. I also use a DIY desiccant in mass inside the enclosure as well as ammo cans. In all of the places that I have lived and as long as I have done this I have never had any rusting issues.

Top Bottom