• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So at my old place i had my own closet for gun cabinet and all my gear. Well thats not so at the new place. Fail on me.

Tell me what you think and dont be afraid to tell me im worrying over nothing.

Im concerned about guns/ammo being affected by humidity and by temperature changes.

I originally had my stuff in a walk in closet...attached to the bathroom but separated by a door. Then i got thinking that may be no beuno due to the humidity in the bathroom.

So i moved it all to another room but that room seems to be a bit drafty in this cool weather.

Input? Criticism? Kickstarter for a real gun safe?
    DK Firearms

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    In my opinion, you need a gun safe. If you're not home and someone breaks in, the last thing you want to do is to arm a criminal with more weapons.
    You can get a dessicant pack to help remove the moisture or a golden rod.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In my opinion, you need a gun safe. If you're not home and someone breaks in, the last thing you want to do is to arm a criminal with more weapons.
    You can get a dessicant pack to help remove the moisture or a golden rod.

Its a decent cabinet. Will stop regular thief. Power tools, theyll get in. I do have a desicant pack in there. Safes are on sale now...

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    If you get a safe, make sure to bolt it to the floor too.Make sure to change out the dessicant pack regularly.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Near the bathroom is not ideal, but depending on ventilation, habits, dehumidifiers, etc., it all depends. I'd suggest you take advantage of the season and find one of those clocks or devices that in addition to other things, displays humidity. Maybe pick up a couple and place them in the areas you're considering and monitor the humidity levels to determine if one place is better than the other.

In the mean time, keep things cleaned and oiled up, but you don't have to exactly freak out about it. Just pay attention and keep up with it while you make your decision.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    If you have central heat and air, proximity to a bathroom or utility room and the small bump in humidity they generate shouldn't be an issue for a maintained firearm. I had stashed a Llama 357 in a rug in my bathroom closet for years ... decades ... and it never caused an issue.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Golden rod for the win. Well worth the cost and works in a cabinet or safe.

PS, get a safe. It sounds like you are leaning that way anyways.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I have used a walk in closet off my master bathroom for nearly 20 years with no problem whatsoever. But it probably helps that the closet has its own HVAC vent.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Do you by chance have any large empty chases in your house anywhere? I haven't gotten to it yet but I have one that I was thinking about cutting into and putting a locking cabinet in and then covering the hole up with a tall mirror or something similar. I would think this would be one of the best choices besides having a safe room built into your foundation. As long as your house is newer it should be pretty well insulated and fire blocked and shouldn't have much of any heat/moisture issues.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    A plain jane 100 watt lightbulb will do the same as the magic golden rod for a fraction of the price.

You're evil and apparently intent on ending the world. Haven't you heard those are supposed to be outlawed? :)

All joking aside, it's important to note he's referring to a 100 watt incandescent light bulb. A 100w CFL or 100w LED bulb won't work as it doesn't put off enough heat.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    The Goldenrod units seem to be a far more practical solution than a light bulb for multiple reasons:

1) Less likely to be broken since it's not fragile like a glass bulb.
    2) Uses a lot less energy (15 or less watts compared to a 25 watt minimum incandescent light bulb).
    3) Will take up less space in your safe.
    4) It's not much more expensive than putting in a light fixture in your safe.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Near the bathroom is not ideal, but depending on ventilation, habits, dehumidifiers, etc., it all depends. I'd suggest you take advantage of the season and find one of those clocks or devices that in addition to other things, displays humidity. Maybe pick up a couple and place them in the areas you're considering and monitor the humidity levels to determine if one place is better than the other.

In the mean time, keep things cleaned and oiled up, but you don't have to exactly freak out about it. Just pay attention and keep up with it while you make your decision.

Good advice.. I've had mine in a safe in a non ventilated walk in closet along with all my ammo and mags and whatnot outside of the safe and I have had no issues. Occasional wipe down and oiling seems o do the trick for me.

Me too. I just need another gun safe. I'm starting to get low on places to put clothes.

LOL!! I know exactly what you mean. Every so often I need to rearrange everything so the encroachment over to the wife's side of the closet isn't so obvious. :laughing:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    The Goldenrod units seem to be a far more practical solution than a light bulb for multiple reasons:

1) Less likely to be broken since it's not fragile like a glass bulb.
    2) Uses a lot less energy (15 or less watts compared to a 25 watt minimum incandescent light bulb).
    3) Will take up less space in your safe.
    4) It's not much more expensive than putting in a light fixture in your safe.

All but 1 are negated by the fact that most people install a light anyway, so the lightbulb serves dual purpose. Ymmv

Top Bottom