• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BCGlocker

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    El Paso, TX
    Hello, I just moved to EP Far East area three weeks ago. I am interested to either join a club or find a nearby area (Far East) where I can set up steel targets and IDPA targets for CHL pistol draw practices. Thanks.
    Target Sports

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    BGGlocker, literally anywhere east of Loop 375 away from homes and new development is where most eastside people go (especially those that choose not to pay the ROD and GUN range fees).
    As for me, I take Pellicano as far east as possible until it turns into a dirt road. Once that dusty road ends I take a left (north) and get to my spot near a large sink hole/crater on the left beyond the Transmission lines. You can't miss it since there is a large hill/berm off to the left about a 100 yds. Once there, as long as you don't shoot SW towards the concrete plant about 2 miles away you should be good to go in any direction out to 1000 yds if you like.

There is another spot that is completely cleared of mesquite a few miles north of this spot, but it takes a few more zigs and zags on un-named roads for me to describe how to get there. I set up my silhouettes for in close CHL practice there. The clearing is about the size of 3 football fields placed side to side and is recessed roughly 20 feet below the surrounding desert. It becomes a mud pit during heavy rains thus if it has rained recently it may not be the best location. But the closest home to this area is beyond 6 miles in all directions except the west.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Well, from between a rock and a hard place I too would be curious.. lol

Best place of photos from around town can be found on google my friend, I don't have any photos worth looking at to share that don't have my bearded mug in them.

In short, the east and west sides of El Paso feel like new urban Phoenix, while central and the lower valley areas are an aging tribute of the mid to late 20th century.
    Great town, nice people, weather and quality of life (to raise a family) exists here. For those that mock our city, they do so because the night life is not as great as other places and not many big celebrity groups/people come here as often. If you like booze and partying on a nightly basis, this isn't the place for you. If you like food and the "screw you, I'm a Texan attitude" then yea this place is it.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Well, from between a rock and a hard place I too would be curious.. lol

Best place of photos from around town can be found on google my friend, I don't have any photos worth looking at to share that don't have my bearded mug in them.

In short, the east and west sides of El Paso feel like new urban Phoenix, while central and the lower valley areas are an aging tribute of the mid to late 20th century.
    Great town, nice people, weather and quality of life (to raise a family) exists here. For those that mock our city, they do so because the night life is not as great as other places and not many big celebrity groups/people come here as often. If you like booze and partying on a nightly basis, this isn't the place for you. If you like food and the "screw you, I'm a Texan attitude" then yea this place is it.

Thanks for the info.
    Are there any of the Old West period historical places left? Where Wesley-Hardin got his, etc?
    Ever been to El Paso Saddlery? Luvs me some EPS leather.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Thanks for the info.
    Are there any of the Old West period historical places left? Where Wesley-Hardin got his, etc?
    Ever been to El Paso Saddlery? Luvs me some EPS leather.
    The place where JWH was shot in the back is directly outside of the old saloon at the corner of San Antonio and Mesa streets.
    Sadly, the historic saloon building is now a cheap dollar plus discount store that sells cheap Chinese junk. That place must have been rockin back in the day, because if you look at the top of the saloon there were rooms for rent just above.

I work literally 2 blocks away from El Paso Saddlery off Yandell. I recently picked up a #44 outfit for my new Pietta .45 LC revolver. The greatest thing was that they measured me there and the manager/owner went to the back and had extras that were exactly my size waist and 4.5" barrel length revolver. It was a quick in and out for me, and since they were customer cancellations I got them at a HUGE discount. If I were to walk in there now there would be a bunch of customer cancellation rigs on the front desk selling for a fraction of what they cost online. Two weeks ago they had a 1911 IWB RH strong holster for $35. Now that I think about it, I may just walk in there this week and pick it up if it is still there.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I work literally 2 blocks away from El Paso Saddlery off Yandell. I recently picked up a #44 outfit for my new Pietta .45 LC revolver. The greatest thing was that they measured me there and the manager/owner went to the back and had extras that were exactly my size waist and 4.5" barrel length revolver. It was a quick in and out for me, and since they were customer cancellations I got them at a HUGE discount. If I were to walk in there now there would be a bunch of customer cancellation rigs on the front desk selling for a fraction of what they cost online. Two weeks ago they had a 1911 IWB RH strong holster for $35. Now that I think about it, I may just walk in there this week and pick it up if it is still there.

ACK! I now officially hate you. LoL
    I need a holster for a Colt SAA 7.5. Holler if they have one please and thank you.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Good point about ELP being a fairly quiet place to live but i think this is slowly changing. Our last few administrations have been trying to get ELP to have more of an urban feel. The westside/downtown have a vibrant nightlife (booze) and more trendy restaurants are cropping up all over the place. Good or bad depends on ones age and perspective.
    When I get a chance I'll try to post some ELP pictures. Pretty dusty around here but not too bad looking.

angel71rs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    El Paso
    As for me, I take Pellicano as far east as possible until it turns into a dirt road. Once that dusty road ends I take a left (north) and get to my spot near a large sink hole/crater on the left beyond the Transmission lines. You can't miss it since there is a large hill/berm off to the left about a 100 yds.
    Is this the spot, marked with the red arrow? If so, that would be really convenient as my brother lives in that area and wants to take my nephew shooting.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    That is where I go.
    For me it is the perfect place to shoot all calibers. The crater is full of targets for pistols, the hill is great for clay pigeons, and the dirt road heading out to the west is great for rifles. I have taken the time to stack tires into targets marking off the 300 and 150 yard for paper and/or steel targets. I get almost all of my brass here as it is a very popular spot for other shooters.

angel71rs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    El Paso
    Excellent! My nephew has long expressed an interest in going shooting with his gun nut uncle, but mom has put the kabosh on it till recently. I got through to her when I said that curiosity was better scratched safely with me to show him proper firearms handling vs risk him running across a gun at a friends house or something and satisfy his curiosity the dangerous way. Thanks Ozz.

BCGlocker

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    El Paso, TX
    Is this the spot, marked with the red arrow? If so, that would be really convenient as my brother lives in that area and wants to take my nephew shooting.

I made left when the dirt road begins, I then drove about 1/2 mile and the dirt trail barely fit my car and garbage everywhere. There must be several hundreds of truck tires dumped and other garbage. I got that uncomfortable felling and turned around and came back.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Since the 1970s, I've always been going out to "Red Sands" way out on Montana Ave. (aka: Carlsbad Hwy).

Still do today.

Just watch out for the 4-Wheelers and ATV-ers out there also...my electronic ear muffs ("Walker Alpha 360") help locate their whereabouts as you'll likely hear them way before seeing them. ;-)

-- BR

Last edited:

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    I made left when the dirt road begins, I then drove about 1/2 mile and the dirt trail barely fit my car and garbage everywhere. There must be several hundreds of truck tires dumped and other garbage. I got that uncomfortable felling and turned around and came back.
    You must have gone left wrong. Go all the way down pelicano. Bumpy dirt road comes to a fork. Go left road is big enough for three lane road. It is bumpy as well. Ruts dug out from 18 wheelers. Go past the electrical line road about a mile. You will see the white hill to the left. Yes that road is narrow but only for a couple hundred feet. The big pit has tons of junk people shoot at. Nothing to get spooked about.
    Hello, I just moved to EP Far East area three weeks ago. I am interested to either join a club or find a nearby area (Far East) where I can set up steel targets and IDPA targets for CHL pistol draw practices. Thanks.

Top Bottom