• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brent

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    LA, California
    I have family in Georgetown that i will be visiting. I am looking for a place to shoot some mil-surp rifles. I checked out the range info, but i not a big fan of all the restrictions. Is there something like public land around the Austin area where i can do some plinking? In California i go out to BLM land. Its wide open, no ammo restrictions, RO's, crowds etc... I am really excited to come to Texas for the first time. If i can find wide open space to shoot in the LA area, i sure there must be plenty of places near Austin to do the same. Any other info about shooting in Texas is welcomed. I defintily plan to bring my C&R license and do some shopping. I know theres a Cabelas in Buda. Anywhere else i should go... I will post his in the Rifles section too. Thanks
    DK Firearms

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Well, hate to tell you this, but there is minimal if any publis shooting land in the entire state. Nearly all of Texas is privately owned, so, your choices are a pay range or knowing someone with land. Kinda surprised me too when I moved here.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah for how pro gun texas is there are really not that many options. Private is always better than public for just about anything :) ...

Id start with your family and ask if any of them have any friends with property.

brent

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    LA, California
    i got the feeling i might be out of luck when i searched for BLM land in Texas and couldnt find any... Oh well, i'll check out the public ranges. I checked the Texas gun ranges thread, any specific recomendations?

brent

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    LA, California
    I use to live in AZ and I miss BLM land. But there are a few good places here. What are the restrictions that particularly bother you?

nothing in particular. i just like to shoot unsupervised without a crowd and a babysitter if i can. Maybe its differnt in TX. CA public ranges can be pretty lame. Plus i like to shoot hard targets. cans, milk jugs, etc.

brent

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    LA, California
    I'll check with my family about private land. I looked up the muni code for georgetown. no shooting in the city limits. If someone had private property outside the city i assume i would be gtg.
    Thanks for the replys. I'll take as much info as i can get.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    nothing in particular. i just like to shoot unsupervised without a crowd and a babysitter if i can. Maybe its differnt in TX. CA public ranges can be pretty lame.

Well I'm in San Antonio and shoot in Bulverde and it's as close as I have found to being left alone, but that's about an hour and change from Round Rock. I thought there was a good outdoor range just south of Austin but I can't remember the name.. maybe the Austin members can help more. Either way good luck w/ your search. I'm sure you'll find somewhere acceptable.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I live in North Round Rock, and Eagle Peak is not too bad if you go during the week when there is not a lot of traffic..It also depends on who is in charge of the range that day...It's cheap enough...but alas, there are rules...

Good luck finding the land you seek.If you find some, let me know! LOL

brent

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    LA, California
    wow, i am really suprised about the lack of public land. I mean with all the bs (and theres a lot) we have to put up with, i just got back from shooting at a public spot an hour and a half from downtown LA and there was nobody there all saturday afternoon. thanks for the tips about specific ranges. i decided i'd like to buy my guns in Texas and shoot them in California.... Maybe not, i still cant wait to come to Texas and check out what a free state looks like.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well, hate to tell you this, but there is minimal if any publis shooting land in the entire state.... Kinda surprised me too when I moved here.
    Same here. I lived in CO for awhile and damn near the whole state is BLM land. I got real used to that. Now I'm saving my pennies so I can buy a slice of TX. BTW I bought land in CO that the backside opens up to BLM land. It was $1k/acre... can't find deals like that here.

Like RetArmySgt suggested, Lone Star gun range in Lockhart is probably your best bet. They have the most lax rules of any range in the area.

10Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Cedar Park
    I shot at Astros' a couple of times.
    Astro Shooting Range - 300 US Highway 183. Florence, Texas 76527 Office: 512-489-2061 Cell: 512-966-6118. Take 183 North past CR 138 (Florence) and 0.25 mile past CR 243 (Burnet) on the left. 2 pistol bays with 10 lanes. 2 rifle bays with 12 leans. 1 shotgun bay with an electric shotgun trap thrower. 10 position CHL bay (for instructors only). 17 position training bay. Law Enforcement/military discount. Men's, women indoor bathrooms. Coming soon: 10 ft platform for archery practice (simulated tree stand), 6 competition bays.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom