• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 81aggie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    San Antonio
    I live down in south Sa there a Shop / Range Called "A Place to Shoot" on 381 which charges 10.00 per head and you can shoot as long as you have ammo.

I live on the NW side of town and often go to A Place to Shoot even though it's about a 30 mile drive for me. Main reason is that I've never had to wait for a lane on the pistol range, never very crowded. Also like the fact that the pistol targets are on a pulley so you can bring them in, move them out, change them without having to call/wait for a cease fire. Just wish they'd get the ones fixed that aren't working. Nice rifle ranges too, and they have skeet/trap/country doubles for shotgunners.

Probably a bit far from Boerne but just my $.02
    Military Camp

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    Thanks for all the info! I have a lot more options now than I did before. I'm going to try to get to Cedar Ridge next week. I called Camp Bullis and really want to go there. I might do that but my wife's DoD ID card expired and it will be awhile before she can get it renewed.

I like what I hear about "A Place to Shoot" but it is pretty far from me. Still, it might be worth it. I occasionally drive to Ft Worth to shoot with my kids so I guess south SA isn't so far!

Amistad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    I'm going to try to get to Cedar Ridge next week.

I really like going to Cedar Ridge. I'm usually sitting there at the gate when they open, and on weekdays, I'm often the only one there. Getting that nice country breeze and shooting as many guns as you like to for ten bucks a head is very enjoyable...;)

Amistad

mike4045

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Victoria
    I have shot at all the outdoor ranges in SA. I prefer Blackhawk, Cedar Ridge 2nd. I only shot Bullet hole occassionally if it's a match. I really don't like the way Bullethole is setup, but you can get a bay all to yourself.

I have not tried any indoor ranges yet.

Mike

ZeikHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    I used to work at texas thunder. yeah its more pricey than bullet hole, and you need to use their ammo, but IMHO, its worth it. its not your average indoor shithole. plus its indoors, climate controlled (as in $3k worth of HEPA filters), and open til 7pm. the ammo thing is more about enviormental concerns than "we want your money". lead-free and TMJ ammo runs for a premium over the usual plinker stuff. Gerry, the owner, goes nuts about lead and possible contamination. Even if you dont think its whats right for you, i highly reccomend going out there at least once, just to enjoy the facilities. take a .22, box of that runs $2-3.

Ive shot at A Place To Shoot. theyve got 4 stars from the NSSF. beautiful rifle range, well-stocked pro shop, but the pistol range leave something to be desired compared to TT. It works, but if you want to shoot exactly a certain distance, good luck, their target system take some getting used to. and the tin and carpet dividers seem to amplify the gunshots. my first trip there i almost ran off the road, the long drive up their driveway leads right past the shotgun ranges, and i missed any signs (if any) regarding that, so i quickly learned that i shouldnt drive up there with the windows down. And if you're a reloader, the grate flooring in the pistol bays make it almost impossible unless you have someone to catch them in flight.

Cedar Ridge is my usual place to shoot though. Greg Ferris (the owner) is an excellent 1911 smith, and im glad to call his son Kyle a personal friend. Theyve got some great facilities, tho some of the variable distance bays can get crowded on weekends. you'll wanna keep your windows up there, too. the dirt road to the shack goes past the pistol bays. only one bad thing about the place: the bays are oriented to the west, so late afternoon shooting puts the sun in your eyes.

Never been to Bullis, even though i could. Every time im there i remind myself to come back, but it just never happens. thats the place to go if you wanna really stretch a rifle's legs though, KD to 800yds, IIRC

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    Man! My schedule is all out of whack! I was in FTW on the 23rd so I didn't get to the IDPA at Cedar Ridge and now I'll be in Boerne on the 30th so I won't get to the TGT shoot and gun show in FTW! Sounds like I need a karma adjustment!

Thanks for the info, Zeik. I haven't gotten out to the range yet but I've got it on my schedule. The one problem with Bullis right now is that they are only open on the weekends. But the price is certainly right, only $4 for all day!

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    Okay, just got back from shooting at Camp Bullis this morning.

We (my wife and I) got there early before it got too hot (range opens at 7:00am). The temp was perfect with just a light breeze to keep the air moving. The Sportsman Range is pretty nice. It has a concrete pad and overhead cover. Rifle positions are on the left and middle, pistols on the right. There were a couple of guys on some of the rifle lanes and just my wife and I on the pistol lanes. The range provides all of the targets and eye and ear protection if you need them. A range safety officer was on duty but was not intrusive. All for $4! The hitch, of course, is that you have to have a DoD ID card.

It was a very pleasent morning of shooting. I can recommend this range for all who are authorized.

xJackalx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    San Antonio
    Braken Gun Range is decent... 7$ per gun and unlimited time. You can use reloads etc. Cons - No automatics allowed and no rapid firing for rifles.. They dont complain about picking up your own brass either. Friendly for reloaders. I am a regular there and only have been talked to about rapid firing :/... My 2 cents!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I typically take 4-6 guns to the range at a time, so Bracken is WAY too expensive for me. And while you can pick up your brass - you can't if it goes forward of the shootin' benches on the pistol range, which usually means 30% loss w/a 1911 in my experience.

beefsalad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    I believe Bracken is $3.50 per person, and $3.50 per gun. While they do allow you (actually encourage you) to pick up your own brass, they do complain about 'rapid fire' on the pistol lane. I was shooting my girlfriends Glock 17 about once every second, keeping it in the 10 ring, and was still told to slow it down to a shot every 2 seconds. Now they've added an overhang at the pistol range that forces me to sit down to shoot. I know I'm "tall" at 6'3", but my vertically challanged buddy (more like 5'6") complained about the same problem.

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    So let me see if I have this right, there is NO public range in the San Antonio area; they're all private. There is only one indoor range, Texas Thunder, that requires you shoot their expensive ammo and it must be lead free. One of the best ranges requires that you be a former GI. One of the closest ranges won't let you do any rapid fire and now has overhead obstructions (not to mention a per gun + charge).

It sounds like Cedar Ridge may be a good place to shoot, if it isn't having some club activity going on.

I remember back 10-12 years ago I was a member of a "club" that shot at what is now the Aguila facility in Helotes. I wish there was a place like that available now. One question, does the National Shooting Complex ever allow regular, non clay shooters, to use their pistol and rifle facilities?

beefsalad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    By public do you mean free? (as in free beer) If so, then the answer is not to my knowledge. I'm new to San Antonio, and even newer to guns. I've only been to Bracken, Cedar Ridge, and The Bullet Hole. Cedar Ridge is my favorite range by far, minus the drive.

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    No, a public shooting park is a purpose built facility for the use of all the citizens. Similar to a skateboard park or a horse park. I served on the Citizen's Advisory Committee for the Clark County Shooting Park in Las Vegas, NV for 6 years. Here's a link: [url]http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/depts/parks/locations/pages/Shooting_Park.aspx[/URL]

There is a per day charge, but it's kept at a minimum. The facility conducts hunting education put on by the Nevada Dept of Wildlife in a dedicated facility. Additionally there are, or will be, dedicated pistol, rifle and clay ranges as well as several archery courses.

In some ways this is similar to Ben Avery in Phoenix, just on a larger scale. Speaking of AZ, they have more than dozen public shooting ranges in the state.

Of course "out West" we had the "luxury" of state/federal owned land that can be used for purposes like this. In Nevada more than 90% of all land is owned by one governmental entity or another.

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    When I lived in the Peoples Republik of Maryland, even they had a public range. It was operated by DNR, and the annual permit to shoot there was $5. That permit also included hunting permission on the 1000 acres.

It's hard to believe that Texas has so little public facilities for hunting/shooting

CGoodwin

Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I usually shoot at the Bullet Hole, as it is closest to Helotes, where I and most of my shooting buddies live. Second on the brass pickup issue. I was zeroing in a SBR AR on the 50 yard range and accidentally dropped a round. By the time I unloaded the gun, locked the bolt, set it down, and turned around, the guy sweeping up the brass had already picked it up and pocketed it. When i asked him for my round back, he said, "Our policy is that shooters cannot pick rounds up from the ground to prevent misfire accidents." Of course I am sure that he shot it himself later! One of my buddies shoots mostly .45 ACP and ALWAYS picks up his brass. He has been warned several times.

$8 to shoot includes all day access and one target. You can bring your own targets in, as far as I know. No one has ever stopped me from tacking them on to the backing that they give you!

Top Bottom