• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Shoot in the wild and not at a range?

Scott Street in Houston on a Saturday night. Be forewarned, they shoot back.
    Texas SOT

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    What part of Texas?

Here in El Paso, the desert is wide open and there are numerous places to shoot.
    I've shot with family in the desert northeast of El Paso. People are generally respectful, but there is a lot of trash out there. It's empty land, but still trespassing. The absentee owners are in for a surprise someday.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    but there is a lot of trash out there.

Yep, but there is also brass out there too. I have not purchased new 9mm, .308, .30-06, .270, .380, .45 ACP ammo in the last decade because you find most of your components out there (including the lead).

but still trespassing.

According to the Sheriff's department (far east side of town), as long as you don't cut through fences or marked properties you are good to go. Now, if the landowner comes by and asks you to leave simply walk about 100 feet elsewhere and you are ok. The emptiness is so vast it is virtually a moot issue.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Unfortunately OP you’re hosed.
    There just isn’t much if any public land open to shooting in Texas.
    It’s all privately owned with restricted access.
    You’ll have to go out to New Mexico or Colorado to find open land to shoot on.
    The public hunting areas in Texas don’t allow unrestricted shooting.
    What about Arkansas? There is a lot of federal land in that neighboring state.

To the OP, maybe this was mentioned alread but if not: If you do go out to shoot on public land in TX, you had best be aware of TX hunting rules & regulations which often restrict the type of firearms allowed on public land during different seasons.

Wilderness 1864

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    What TX laws govern discharge of firearms and hunting on your own land? I am looking to buy some real estate for target practice and hunting. Want high power rifles, shotgun and small bore in the mix. Obviously the terrain/safety/neighboring uses are all a factor too. But at a minimum I have to know what I can do legally. Thanks.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    What TX laws govern discharge of firearms and hunting on your own land? I am looking to buy some real estate for target practice and hunting. Want high power rifles, shotgun and small bore in the mix. Obviously the terrain/safety/neighboring uses are all a factor too. But at a minimum I have to know what I can do legally. Thanks.

Depends on where your land is. State laws aren't really that restrictive. It's the city and county ordinances you will need to be aware of as far as the shooting of guns. Inside the city limits, AFAIK, most cities have ordinances against the discharging of firearms, even BB and pellet guns. Some counties, outside the city limits may have noise ordinances depending on how populated the area is and how much land you have, plus safety concerns on safe areas for the bullets.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Lyons Ave, Fifth Ward, Saturday night.
    I would have said Dowling Street, Fifth Ward, Friday or Saturday night but my information may be out of date.

I know when the riots started in '68, Chief Herman Short issued every automatic in the armory and surrounded several blocks of Dowling Street. As the legend goes, as soon as the "activists" saw the police and how they were armed, things got real quiet and stayed that way.

Wilderness 1864

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    Depends on where your land is. State laws aren't really that restrictive. It's the city and county ordinances you will need to be aware of as far as the shooting of guns. Inside the city limits, AFAIK, most cities have ordinances against the discharging of firearms, even BB and pellet guns. Some counties, outside the city limits may have noise ordinances depending on how populated the area is and how much land you have, plus safety concerns on safe areas for the bullets.
    Thanks. Right now the search is in an area east of Livingston and north of Beaumont. Will start looking into the county rules in that general area.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Thanks. Right now the search is in an area east of Livingston and north of Beaumont. Will start looking into the county rules in that general area.
    I think the common restrictions are you have to have at least 10 acres, and no bullets can leave your property.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    There is still some cheap land to be had in Tyler and Jasper Counties, especially on a per acre basis when purchasing a bigger chunk.
    As Robert said, you'll probably want over 10 acres not in city(or town or incorporated area) limits, preferably not completely surrounded by houses.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pericomtz
    Top Bottom