• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moezilla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2008
    Allen
    Garland would be closest to me, although I'm looking mainly for a static target type of shooting rather than clays. Looking into buying an HD shotgun, something simple and inexpensive and want to fam fire it and try some different loads. Been a looooong time since I fired a shotgun and it wouldn't be as regular a deal as pistol shooting would be probably. Thanks for the locations!

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    Garland would be closest to me, although I'm looking mainly for a static target type of shooting rather than clays. Looking into buying an HD shotgun, something simple and inexpensive and want to fam fire it and try some different loads. Been a looooong time since I fired a shotgun and it wouldn't be as regular a deal as pistol shooting would be probably. Thanks for the locations!

:: Target Master - Indoor Shooting Master ::

I'm in the same boat as you. I've shot my buddies guns plenty and finally got a shotgun for HD. TM charges $15 for the whole day, or however long your shoulder can handle. They supply all the safety equipment and sell ammo etc.. just bring your little friend.

Also forgot to mention, if your looking for an inexpensive HD shotgun, Mossberg Maverick 88 is a good choice for the price. I picked up the 20in 8 shot for $230 at B&S guns in Mesquite. They also carry the 18.5in 6 shot. Target Master doesn't have much of a selection of shotguns but they do have a few that are nice.

Moezilla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2008
    Allen
    That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

I'm looking at either the H&R or Mossberg 88, both are at Academy for $179 (18.5 inch). $15 for the day is fine by me, enough to give the shotgun a whirl and make sure it operates fine and so do I. lol

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    Bought the wife a Mav88 18.5in 6 shot and took both up to TM today to test fire. Both guns did very well. I also got to put a couple hundred rounds through my dads AR15, and his Glock45. The Glock seemed easy to shoot, although i'm not much of a pistol guy, and I wasn't very accurate with it. I really had a blast with the AR and the shotguns. With the AR at 75 feet, I was an inch or two off center. With the 2 Mav 88s I tried various types of shot at different ranges to see the effect. I tested a single shot of bird in the paper at 50 feet and hit dead center. When I pulled the paper back, it was fully peppered with a small concentration hole in the center. At 25 feet, a bigger hole and still fully peppered. At first a guy thought I was shooting slugs because you could only see the big hole until I pulled the paper back.

As far as the type of shot that's best for home defense, I am sticking with #8 bird. It kicks a lot less than 00 buck, and I have neighbors on both sides of me and we all have lots of windows faceing each other, with an 8 foot wood fence granted. But I don't think I should use 00 buck, for safety reasons. If I cant get the bad guy with 8 rounds of bird, i'll just grab a bat and beat the piss out of 'em.

Moezilla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2008
    Allen
    I picked up the same one today, the Mav 88 18.5 inch at Academy in West Plano. Got the last one according to them, they said they are heading out the door as fast as they are getting them in. Picked up some #6 Heavy Dove loads and some 00 Buck, figured I'd give them both a run through the shotgun and to see how they feel. Didn't get time to get up there today, will have to swing by there tomorrow to try them out. Do they have shotgun only lanes or do you shoot same lane as pistol and rifle?

mafiaman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Mansfield, TX
    I go to Alpine in Arlington/Fort Worth. It's off of I-20 and Forest Hill, they have a 15 yrd range and then the trap/skeet ranges. It's pretty in-expensive to shoot there and they keep the facility pretty well maintained.

Moezilla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2008
    Allen
    Had to take a rain check on the range this weekend, will have to try to get out there next weekend to give this baby a workout.

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    At TargetMaster you would shoot your shotgun in either the rifle or pistol bays--they do not have any areas for just shotgun. I think they have some limits on what kinds of ammo they allow, so you might want to call ahead and ask. The pistol bays are 25 yards long and the rifle bays are 50 yards. Their number is (214)343-4545.

flashguy

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    Shotguns in the pistol lanes only and no slugs.

I think the rifle lanes would be better because there is more room, length and width wise each lane, and they make a lot of noise. There are only a couple rifle lanes and tons of guys in the pistol lanes. I also think the shotgun is annoying to guys trying to focus when shooting pistols.

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    The rules at TargetMaster are based on efforts to reduce damage to their target carriers and other elements of the range. Slugs impacting the target carriers totally destroy them, whereas even large rifle bullets just dent them. Shot at the longer distance spreads enough to endanger the lighting, etc. on the Rifle Range.

If the pistol shooters think shotguns are distracting, they need to be there when I'm shooting my L.A.R. Grizzly in .50 AE!

flashguy

Top Bottom