Guns International

Where to spend thanksgiving . . . Or pick it up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Well me and my GF recently moved out here to houston from cali a few months ago and are trying to decide what to do about Thanksgiving. We really dont know anyone and the people we do know we would rather not. Anyway has anyone ever ordered Turkey day dinner from a store like Krogers? Are they any good? I live on the west side of houston if you can recommend a good place to eat please let me know.
    Military Camp

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I had a Thanksgiving a few years back where all of my family was traveling, so I was home alone. I went and served food for about 4 hours at a shelter. It was really rewarding and I was home by 2:00 p.m. It also showed me that i haad a lot to be thankful for....

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You can do like a mini-turkey day or something. We do this on occasion since we're far from family.

Go pick up a duck or whole chicken and roast it. Then a small batch of mashed potatoes and an easy side of green beans or something. Essentially do a spinoff. I know, kinda cheesy but its one of those goofy things you'll think back too and enjoy. DH and I spent one Christmas Eve in a motel room after traveling across the country, without family nearby, to have a dinner that consisted of items we scrounged from a convience store. It was the lamest Christmas Eve ever Wasn't even anything good on the terrible cable tv. It should have been a clue when the overnight check in counter was encased in expanded metal and plexiglass and a buzz-you-in front door.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    I went and served food for about 4 hours at a shelter. It was really rewarding .

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Outstanding suggestion!!

As a native Houstonian, we're always with family so I have no idea about takeout. I know Luby's cafeteria had a take out deal, but they changed ownership, no telling what's that done to quality.

I still think that if you have no plans that the above suggestion of spending your Thanksgiving volunteering is worth trying.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm spending Thanksgiving Eve baking an Apple pie, or something that may resemble apple pie, LOL.

Then it's off to Grandma's house tomorrow for the good stuff.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    Great idea, let me know what shelter you will be at and i will meet you there.
    If you're just looking for a place to eat then one of these may satisfy your requirements. With what you save you'll have more money to spend on lowers.

To volunteer or to help out with donations, call the members of the City Wide Club Thanksgiving Feast (at GRB) at 713-752-2582, or the people at Superfeast at 713-516-3501.

For Superfeast:
    The feast will be held at Sam Houston Park downtown, between McKinney and Allen Parkway, and planners expect to serve 20,000 people.
    The dinner will be served between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., and "the time will be extended if needed. No one has ever been turned away at the Superfeast," said Tammy Bohon, chairwoman and event organizer.
    All surplus food will be donated to Neighborhood Centers Inc.
    The event is looking for volunteers to set up, cook, serve, wait on tables, distribute clothing and clean up between 5 a.m. and 5 p.m. Thanksgiving Day.
    The set-up and cooking teams are expected to be on site at 5 a.m.; servers are needed from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; and the clean-up and loading crews will be needed from 3 to 5 p.m.
    Contributions to the Superfeast can be sent to the Thanksgiving Houston Superfeast, 2123 FM 1960 West #236, Houston 77090.
    If you are interested in volunteering, call the USA Waste Services information hotline at (281) 651-0911.

See you there.

Top Bottom