Gun Zone Deals

Which .22 LR rounds are cleaner than average?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    As a Vietnam vet and former LEO, I have shot a few rounds. Admittedly, I am not exactly a .22 caliber expert like you, so pardon my ignorance on the issue.
    Target Sports

Reactions: gll

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    As a Vietnam vet and former LEO, I have shot a few rounds. Admittedly, I am not exactly a .22 caliber expert like you, so pardon my ignorance on the issue.

As a retired .mil guy, thank you for your service and calm down.

The only appreciable technology difference among .22 ammo is CCI’s Clean-22 lineup, which is a polymer coated projectile. Subjectively, It’s reported to be about as clean as copper plated rimfire which is cleaner than lead. Suppressed shooting is generally dirtier than unsuppressed.

When/how often to clean is also subjective. If you’re out to do mag dumps and don’t care about anything else, you’re cleaning schedule may be non-existent. If you’re shooting benchrest you’ll develop a specific cleaning schedule for each lot once you’ve found the best performer for your setup.

I guess I could have given you that answer up front, but I really did not want to assume anything about your knowledge level.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    More often than you have been to charm school.
    Brilliant answer - well done!
    … I don’t think toddnjoyce meant any ill will, yet could have been much more tactful. Very often written communication is difficult to understand without all the non-verbal ques afforded in-person.
    Thank you for your service sir!

Reactions: gll

kp321

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    Tuscola, Texas
    Generally plated bullets will shoot cleaner than plain lead. I’ll start at the bottom end, I have never shot any 22’s as dirty as Armscor. I shoot it in 80 round matches in a S&W 15-22 which is very forgiving on ammo. I can make it through 80 rounds without a failure but it takes a lot of scrubbing later.
    CCI, SK and Eley are generally clean shooters.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    As stated previously, .22lr is a notoriously dirty round. With that said, and of what I've had on hand, the CCI Mini mags are the cleanest and a toss up between Winchester and Aquila being the dirtiest. I've gotten in some of the Norma stuff fairly recently, just not had the opportunity to try it out yet.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Not even CCI Minimags NOR Remington's Buckets of .22lr bullets keep anything cleaner, especially w/with a binary trigger and BX-25's,
    Nor do they help in any Mark III, Mark IV Lite, or 5"+, or 6"+Hunter, nor in 10/22's with 18" barrels...
    None of these seem to help in a Heritage single action either....
    NOT AT ALL... don't ask me how I know.

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    Anyone remember the old Russian .22LR ammo in the green and white box - may have been branded "Vostok" if I remember correctly (like nearly everything else from the ol' soyuz...)
    Steel casing and powdered coal, if my bore was any indication...filthy stuff...

Top Bottom