• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Got a few hundred dollars worth of academy gift cards, laying around I've collected.

Figured I should blow it on a rim fire .22 or .17.

Which one should I get and why?

The conditions are it's gotta be from academy.
    And sub 500 dollars.
    Target Sports

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    That's part of the debate in my head. Do I want to practice with the 1911 platform, the AR platform, or get a rifle bolt or semi auto?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Can't help on selection but .17 ammo has not been on the shelves. Something to consider.

Otherwise get $500 worth of bbq sauce and some pigs. ;)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I vote for a Savage 17. They are crazy accurate. My kid can shoot dime sized groups with it. I bought mine at Bass Pro a couple years ago, also cashing in some gift cards. It came with a scope, I think its a Model 93?

I see ammo all over for that these days. I have not shot any critters with it, but they say those ballistic tips are big-time lethal. My gun seems to like the Hornady 17g ballistic tip the best. Very accurate.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Worth a look:

Ammo Review: New .17 Winchester Super Magnum, World's Fastest Rimfire Round - 4

by John B. Snow
    Fastest_Rimfire.JPG

Varmints have a new reason to quake in their burrows. Winchester has introduced the .17 Winchester Super Magnum, which is not only going to be the world’s fastest rimfire round, but also one that offers a significant performance increase over the .17 HMR (see charts below). It pushes a 20-grain bullet at 3,000 fps, which is 625 fps faster than the .17 HMR. What does that extra velocity buy you?
    For starters, with a 100-yard zero, you get a much flatter trajectory. Drop at 200 yards with a 20-grain bullet is just 4.1 inches, compared to 10.7 inches with the same bullet out of the .17 HMR. Perhaps more important is the .17’s ability to resist the wind, which has always been one of the weaker qualities of the Hummer. In a 10 mph crosswind, the .17 Win. Super Mag. will move 7.3 inches at 200 yards, while the .17 HMR drifts 16.6 inches.
    The velocity boost should also translate to more impressive terminal performance at longer ranges. Though the .17 HMR has proven to be a very accurate round, its knockdown power on even moderate-size prairie dogs at 100 yards is just so-so.
    Ammo Review: New .17 Winchester Super Magnum, World's Fastest Rimfire Round | Outdoor Life

Miloe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    DFW
    Hmmm, if you've got the 10-22 angle covered, I'd say a savage 17hmr. Make tiny little holes close together.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Being a reloader the only rimfire I will buy is a .22 lr.

If you don't have a 10/22 then that is the way to go, be it standard, tactical, or whatever.

Lever guns are always fun also.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I e always preferred the model 60 over the 10/22, although I handled a newer model 60 recently and it didn't seem to have the same quality as the old ones. Plastic trigger guard and some stupid bolt catch thing.

And old model 60 in good condition is the way to go for me. Not so good for scopes though, I'm not a fan if dove tail mounts. But he'll, aughta be able to pop a squirrel with irons.

Top Bottom