Hurley's Gold

Which 9mm Polymer: HK P30L Light LEM or SA XDm 5.25?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • azngotskills

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    DFW
    Thanks for all the opinions and comments guys, im still torn lol. I am going on a mission tomorrow to find a HK LEM DAO trigger to try out and that will be my deciding factor.

A striker fired P30 does sound like the best of both worlds compromise! Question is, when can i get it???
    Hurley's Gold

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Thanks for all the opinions and comments guys, im still torn lol. I am going on a mission tomorrow to find a HK LEM DAO trigger to try out and that will be my deciding factor.

A striker fired P30 does sound like the best of both worlds compromise! Question is, when can i get it???

The LEM is not an DAO so you might be pleasantly surprised by its feel.

The striker fired P30 is vaporware, so you're NOT going to get your hands on one for a while.

Good luck on the hunt.

azngotskills

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    DFW
    Really??? I thought that once the slide is racked on an HK light LEM, each trigger pull is consistent pull weight of ~4.5 lbs with the hammer going back then forward to strike the firing pin at each pull on the trigger?

Please correct me if I am wrong

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Really??? I thought that once the slide is racked on an HK light LEM, each trigger pull is consistent pull weight of ~4.5 lbs with the hammer going back then forward to strike the firing pin at each pull on the trigger?

You are correct.

Too bad you aren't closer, I'd be glad to let take mine for a spin.

p30

A recent HK pistol design, the P30 is a modern police and security pistol that combines function and safety. Ergonomic features include a special grip frame with interchangeable backstrap inserts and lateral plates, allowing the pistol to be individually adapted to any user. Ambidextrous controls include dual slide releases and magazine release levers.
    Variants with a conventional double-action/single action trigger have a serrated decocking button located on the rear of the frame. Variants with HK’s enhanced double action only Law Enforcement Modification* (LEM) trigger have no external decocking controls.
    The HK Law Enforcement Modification (LEM) trigger system combines the advantages of a cocked striker component (constant level of trigger pull from first to last round fired) with a double-action hammer system. Using such an enhanced trigger system consolidates ease of use and safety into a convenient, innovative trigger operation—one that reduces the chance of unintended firing. And in case of an ammunition-related failure to fire, all that is needed is an additional second or third squeeze of the trigger without the need of first pulling the slide back to re-cock the pistol. The enhanced LEM trigger system combines the reliability of a double action revolver trigger with the crisp trigger of a single action pistol.

On the striker fired P30, I wouldn't hold my breathe on the release , but these are HKUSA's words on their 2014 relaese. I think time will be questionable , but I think it will happen.

Spoke with our HK rep at the LGS today and he passed on some interesting information. He related that HK would be introducing 3 new guns next year. Information on one can be found here...

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/188096-new-additions-hk-pistol-line-up.html
    More on a Domestic US HK G36

The other two are,

1. The P30X. A striker fired variant of the P30
    2. The P30SK. A subcompact variant of the P30 (not sure if hammer or striker fired), without the aggressive grip on the P30, more akin to the P2000, HK45C grip.

Last edited:

azngotskills

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    DFW
    Thats what I though, thanks HKaltwasser...yea been researching the projected P30X but really skeptical since some of the posts date back to 2009/2010 with stating release dates of 2012.

Yea I wish you were closer too so that I can get a real feel for a P30 LEM.... I got to fondle a SA XMm 5.25" today and a HK P30 V3 DA/SA, both very nice pistols. I know I would be happy with either pistol, but which one would I love? Testing out a LEM trigger, IS the deciding factor because the V3 trigger just didnt do it for me

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock

It's not a DAO as we traditionally look at DAO guns. DAO is like a revolver. In theory a long and consistent trigger pull, usually also a heavy pull. The LEM is NOT a long heavy consistent pull. With the cocking piece (not sure what the actual term is) cocked and the trigger release fully, the hammer lays in its normal position. As you pull the trigger there is a long and light take up where the hammer is brought back into position and the trigger bar engages the sear. At this point there is a ledge to the trigger pull that can be felt. Pulling the trigger further will break the shot like a single action gun. For follow up shots if you ride the trigger to reset( which is long) the hammer stays in its cocked position and the gun behaves like a single action gun. Release the trigger fully and the whole long take up cycle starts again. It's a nice take on giving a shooter a long take up for the initial shot for added safety while retaining a relatively light and short break with some pretty good feedback as to where one is relative to the break.

azngotskills

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    DFW
    TAZ, with all that being said would you say that the LEM trigger overall compares to a SA like 1911 or DA like revolver/sig?

It seems like you are familiar with both, which do you prefer?

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    TAZ, with all that being said would you say that the LEM trigger overall compares to a SA like 1911 or DA like revolver/sig?

Light LEM is more comparible to Sig's DAK. It's a light.. long take up, with a pretty good feel on the breaking point. Reset is decent, but no PPQ in that aspect.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock

It's kind of neither. All my revolvers have had a long and consistent trigger pull. From start to finish they were the same All my 1911's were short and light pulls. Minimal take up and once on the trigger it was just the break. The LEM reminds me of a 2 stage rifle trigger with an overly long and light first stage.

On the LEM the first shit is the only unique jobber as after that it's single action till you release the trigger fully. The reset is very long and you'll see some hammer movement as you reset, but it pretty much feels like any SA HK trigger break.

As to which to prefer: that is subjective and may not apply to you and your shooting. I hate DAO. Heavy trigger pulls IMO are retarded for handguns. They are a hardware solution to a software issue. I would prefer a good SA gun over anything, however high cap single actions are generally too big for my hands so the ergonomics are all messed up.

The P30 light LEM gets me the best ergonomics for my hands and a decent trigger. It's not the best, but it works for me. It gives me a single stage break when I need/want, offers a long take up in case of stress and allows for an all passive safety gun that can be point and click if things go south.

With all that stated; my advice from before still stays: if you're going to carry one system don't train and compete with another. Just no real reason to do so and it's asking for trouble at the most inopportune time.

azngotskills

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    DFW
    I just wanted to update this thread....I ended picking up a HK P30L "V1" Light LEM

To be honest, I was pretty surprised by how much I like the trigger. It honestly took about 50 rds to get used to the trigger press, but once I got comfortable I was able to get some very nice groups (for me anyway). Yes the trigger pull is relatively long especially compared to a 1911, but the reset wasnt bad at all. The Light LEM trigger pull is actually pretty light and the reset was definitely tactile.

I am very happy with my decision and dont second guess it one bit. Now I just need more practice and adjust my grip so that my thumbs allow the slide to lock back on empty.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I just wanted to update this thread....I ended picking up a HK P30L "V1" Light LEM

To be honest, I was pretty surprised by how much I like the trigger. It honestly took about 50 rds to get used to the trigger press, but once I got comfortable I was able to get some very nice groups (for me anyway). Yes the trigger pull is relatively long especially compared to a 1911, but the reset wasnt bad at all. The Light LEM trigger pull is actually pretty light and the reset was definitely tactile.

I am very happy with my decision and dont second guess it one bit. Now I just need more practice and adjust my grip so that my thumbs allow the slide to lock back on empty.

Very nice. I adjusted very quick as well. Some people seem to struggle with the trigger system coming from another platform. I went from the PPQ to the LEM and it still didn't bother me much.

Tke the time to play with all of the different grip options from medium back strap to large left and small right panel. It's amazing how well you can tweak a perfect feel on this gun.

Good update!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I could never shoot my P30 very well for some reason, & then one day I shot my best 10 rd group ever (with any of my handguns) with it, lol....

Top Bottom