Venture Surplus ad

Which 9mm Polymer: HK P30L Light LEM or SA XDm 5.25?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • azngotskills

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    DFW
    Hey guys, I was hoping you could share
    arrow-10x10.png
    your opinions on 9mm polymer guns. I have bought/tried/sold a Glock G19 and SW M&P9, the G19 ergonomics just didnt fit me and I just didn't shoot accurately with the M&P9. All that being said, looking for an all-around 9mm for range duty, back up nightstand, and possibly informal competitions. I am willing to revisit those options, if there is overwhelming support in that direction!

I am looking at either getting a HK P30L Light LEM or Springfield XDm 5.25 Comp. I would to shoot them first hand but can't find any ranges for them to rent
    arrow-10x10.png

The XDm 5.25 feels very similar to the XDs that I carry and the trigger pull is familiar and the fiber optic front sight is a plus with the adjustable rear sight. I cannot find a P30L Light LEM locally but held a V3, it fits my hand perfectly and balances well but the lightweight DA only trigger is a mystery to me since I cant dry fire one.

I know what I think are some pros/cons with either but hoping you guys with more experience can lead me. Any opinions, recommendations, insight?

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    That HK looks mighty expensive for a polymer. No experience with either, but I would base my personal decision on cost, value, quality, feel. For me, that probably excludes any polymer over $600 new or used.

Last edited:

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    If you carry an XD and intend to continue doing so, then IMO the XDM makes the most sense. Why train and compete with one system and then defend your life with another? FYI the P30 is not a striker fired gun. The LEM is different enough to take some getting used to. The P30 is a great gun and if you want an HK go for it. Practically though I'd say the XD-M is probably your best path unless you switch carry gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    If you carry an XD and intend to continue doing so, then IMO the XDM makes the most sense. Why train and compete with one system and then defend your life with another? FYI the P30 is not a striker fired gun. The LEM is different enough to take some getting used to. The P30 is a great gun and if you want an HK go for it. Practically though I'd say the XD-M is probably your best path unless you switch carry gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's right, my bad. That could be another knock against p30 or pro, depending on what you prefer. My only experience there is with Sig p250, and while DAO there is smooth and damn accurate, not as fast as DAO in a s&w revolver or Kahr, or Glock etc..

azngotskills

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    DFW
    Great advice guys and I appreciate the comments, hoping for more to come :)

I understand the "train with what your are going to carry" philosophy but realistically a sub-compact 3.3" XDs 45ACP is very different than a full-size 5.25" XDm 9mm in both size, feel in hand, recoil, etc. So I honestly didnt take it into consideration but think its a mute point IMO

Now the ~$200-300 price difference is a factor but isnt necessarily a deal breaker for me, especially if the HK is a better gun which is highly subjective.

I am very familiar with hammer control systems since I love the 1911 platform but carry a XDs (especially in the warmer months) due to easy of concealment/weight. I am not too worry about stoker-fired versus hammer system. I am more concerned with actual performance and maybe hoping to hear some personal experiences with either

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The XD is a good gun and my choice of the two.

I haven't shot that XD but I had a full sized one and liked it.

I haven't shot the H&K either and I won't. Their company policies will keep me away from their products.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I own and carry the P30, albeit not the LEM trigger version. It is the perfect handgun for me and I absolutely love it.
    You're more than welcome to shoot mine.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have a XDm 4.5.

It's a great gun. Mines .40 but I got a 9mm conversion and it's a very smooth shooter. As a nightstand gun the fiber optic wont do much for you because it needs an external light source to be effective, on the range it will be nice. I can't honestly come up with any complaints about my XDm.

No experience with HK pistols.

And just to throw it out there, if you are a trigger snob give the PPQ a try. Very comfortable in my hand and the best trigger I've pulled in a handgun outside a few high end 1911s.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    The XD-s, XD and XD-M all share the same manual of arms and very similar trigger feels. Yes the M has a but shorter reset and such, but to me it's very close to a plane jane XD. The P30 is a completely different manual of arms. The LEM is unique with a LONG reset and will take getting used to. If you are like me and stage the trigger the ledge when you transition from the take up section of the trigger pull to the break the shot section is VERY noticeable. Do it the same way with the XD or Glock and you'll have an ND as there is no ledge just a break.

I've owned, shot or carried both the XD family and the P30 family. IMO they are not interchangeable unless there is no other option. For me both families have been very reliable and have served well both in competition and in daily carry. After learning the LEM I think I'm more accurate with an HK than anything else, but that may just be that I practice more knowing I had to master a new trigger system. To me the P30 is the MOST ergonomic gun out there, but that is an absolute subjective stand and may not apply to you and your shooting. In also far more comfortable with a hammer fired gun since having switched to appendix carry. The extra security of being able to ride the hammer when holstering makes me feel better.

My advice to you and anyone else is to experiment and find the system that works for your needs and then shoot the ever living crap out if it. Having done the HK to 1911 to Glock to XD to Glock to MP to HK trip I can honestly say that it's not the gun, but the end user that matter most. It was an expensive yet fun trip, but my shooting would probably be a LOT better now had I just stuck with and mastered any one of those platforms.

bullgator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Houston TX
    I have HK P2000 V3 9mm and had P2000 .40 s&w LEM V2 and also have XDM 5.25 .45 acp and have G19, G32, G23, G22, G17, G20, G21 and had G26 and G27 and have Sig P250c 9mm and P250r .40 s&w and have Beretta Nano 9mm and Kel-Tec P11 and SCCY CPX-1 and like them all. The HK exceeds your $600 and is a fantastic pistol. My G19 and P250s have night sights on the polymer side. I have 2 Sig 1911s with night sights: 1 Extreme and 1 Stainless Carry. The Sig 1911s don't like lead cast bullets. The trigger on the Kel-Tec and SCCY are hard on the trigger finger and might be better with shooting glove or maybe a golf glove. Haven't tried either, just switched pistols. I also have a TriStar C-100 (CZ75B clone) that has an alloy frame. A really great DA/SA shooter with 3.9" barrel. Some of the Glock variations above are achieved with conversion barrels or complete slide. (G21) :twin:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That HK looks mighty expensive for a polymer. No experience with either, but I would base my personal decision on cost, value, quality, feel. For me, that probably excludes any polymer over $600 new or used.

There is a reason the HK cost so much more......

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have both, although the P30 is in .40.
    I carry a G23, which would translate to a G19 for 9mm (which I have as well).

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    On average the price difference between the two is $140. Despite what all the H&K detractors say the P30 is easily worth more than $140 than it's cheap Croatian counterpart. Yes I said it a Croatian XDm 5.25 is not worth what they charge it is a cheap pistol and should not cost more than a Glock 34 plain and simple. The ergonomics suck no thought was put into them and it is an inferior design to the Glock. This is coming from someone who owns a XDm 5.25.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I have the P30 .40 Light LEM. I really like how this gun feels and shoots. For some, the trigger may take time to get used to, for me ; it was an easy transition . All of my HK's have never had a failure of any kind and one is over 30 years old. I have a couple of P7's that are 20-25 years old, they have just kept running for me.

Just so you know, HK has plans to release a striker fired P30 next year. I can only imagine how sweet the trigger will be. You know how planned releases are from HK though....usually far from the timed release.

Having said that, you might be better off with the familiar Springer XDM, especially if you plan on competing.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have P30 V3 and an XDm 4.5, both in 9mm. My P30 trigger is kind of spongy, but it is relatively new and may need to break in. The XDm was awesome out of the box. I do not carry either so I cannot comment on it. Accuracy for me varies with the ammo. I really like how easy it is to break down the XDm for cleaning. I also bought a threaded barrel for the XDm and it works well with my TiRant. I prefer the XDm sights over the P30, but just slightly. I am an HK whore so it is hard to say anything bad about the P30. For me the two are nearly equal, but the XDm has more things that I like over the HK. I would like to try a P30L, since most of my shooting is at a range. YMMV

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I have P30 V3 and an XDm 4.5, both in 9mm. My P30 trigger is kind of spongy, but it is relatively new and may need to break in. The XDm was awesome out of the box. I do not carry either so I cannot comment on it. Accuracy for me varies with the ammo. I really like how easy it is to break down the XDm for cleaning. I also bought a threaded barrel for the XDm and it works well with my TiRant. I prefer the XDm sights over the P30, but just slightly. I am an HK whore so it is hard to say anything bad about the P30. For me the two are nearly equal, but the XDm has more things that I like over the HK. I would like to try a P30L, since most of my shooting is at a range. YMMV

Isn't a V3 DA/SA a completely different animal compared to a V1 light LEM DAO?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom