• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    ^ĉool
    is that one of the biggest quality autos without going to a $500 microtech halo 5 or infidel?

The Contego isn't an auto but it is a good knife. Honestly, the only benefit of an auto over an assisted open or a flipper is novelty. Lots of non-auto knives can be opened quickly with one hand. Emerson wave folders open themselves as you pull them from your pocket (making them faster than an auto), for example.

Try the assisted Hissatsu if you want a quick opening defensive folder: http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Knife-Tool-2903/dp/B001BGCM3K
    Target Sports

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Honestly, the only benefit of an auto over an assisted open or a flipper is novelty.
    I mostly agree and that's the primary reason (Yes, I admit it.) that I bought mine.

Minor point, though: I am currently dealing with a bad wrist injury and flipping open a knife with my right thumb hurts more than a little. The curling of my thumb to open the auto doesn't hurt. It's not a big deal but it's temporarily significant to me.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    After many broken s&w, mtech, Ozarktrail and even my kershaw and the quick to loose there edge gerbers I got tired of buying knifes.

I decided to just spend the money and buy a quality knife.So now my new EDC is a Benchmade Griptilian (550SHG)
    6yryqa3y.jpg
    bu9e7e3y.jpg

Any advice for a newb on a good sharpening tool? Had a walmart special sharpener but it also broke.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Stay away fromt he auto benchmades. After a while the tension mechanism gets gummed up just like the cheapo kershaws do. I love my spyderco sage that I have now but it has the wire pocket clip and that damn thing sucks. It doesn't retain tension for very long at all so it starts snagging on things. Im trying to decide on what Im going to replace it with now. Definitely don't get an auto, and don't get one with a wire pocket clip.
    IMAG0881.jpg

IMAG0882.jpg

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Less moving parts the better for me, ever speing assist knife I ever had broie or stopped working.

Any advice on a good sharpener?

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    I do own one, but I'm talking as somthing I can take with me anywhere to handle small tasks.

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    I do own one, but I'm talking as somthing I can take with me anywhere to handle small tasks.

You mean anywhere in the US? Your selection may just decrease dramatically ;)

Im experimenting with my bm53 mangus. It's a fun TDC knife! Impractical as all get out but definitely fun!

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    I bought a griptillian once. Then I bought another...

I'm telling you, their products are addicting.

Tell me about it
    pybysenu.jpg

The griptilian is great.

I carry a spyderco chaparral the most.

Size. Clip. Comfort. All work for me.

e6ype3e7.jpg

ge8etede.jpg

Or the buck vantage pro small. It required some centering adjustment but now perfect.

ety5ave2.jpg

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    BTW, if anyone is interested and in the Austin area for the next Friday lunch meetup, I can bring that CRKT ONK as well as several of the fixed blades I have from my friend Joe Watson of JW Knives / Centex Blade Works if anyone wants to check them out.

Fixed is definitely the way to go IMO, if you can make it work and carry it in a realistic position. Horizontal on the belt line seems to be one of the easiest and most comfortable ways.

Sure, bring the fixed knives..... I'm always interested in checking out new knives.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    What do you mean by "centering adjustment"?

My buck came with the blade to one side. If you used the torx screw to adjust it would center (the blade would fold up parallel to the frame), but then it was too stiff to flip open using the flipper on the back.

Google provide a solution. I had to:
    1) adjust the main torx screw to a comfortable tightness so the blade would flip open.
    2) place a folded piece of paper between the blade and frame on the side of the blade where the fit was tightest.
    3) loosen the main torx and the other two screws until all were just resting in place.
    4) tighten all screws again. Remove paper

That worked a little. So I went a step further and
    5) I put the paper back
    6) unscrewed all torx screws
    7) put some pressure on the frame as if I were sliding the frame in the opposite direction of the blades leaning tendency. (My blade when folded and tip down, the tip leaned toward the right scale. I put pressure on the right frame and scale as if I were sliding down)
    8) tighten all screws to comfort and remove paper.

It's now centered and has stayed that way for months.

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    I generally carry a Bark river Mini Canadian. Great knife, made my own sheath because the one that came with it was garbage.

Occasionally I carry a Benchmade 551 Griptilian with a plain edge. It's help up to everything I've thrown at it and I don;t baby my gear.

Top Bottom