Hurley's Gold

Which Budget 3x Magnifier to purchase (Vortex/Burris/Primary Arms)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moshow9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    El Paso
    I have a Holosun red dot optic coming in and was looking for a Magnifier to pair it with. I'm trying to decide between the Vortex VMX-3T, Burris AR-Tripler Gen2, and Primary Arms 3X LER Red Dot Magnifier Gen IV. What's the consensus on these three? I've been able to find some youtube reviews on the first two, even a comparison on them, but not as much on the Primary Arms.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I have the vortex, works well. I have it matched up to my vortex red dot, so of course it fits perfect. I haven't tried it with my Holosuns. Vortex CS and lifetime warenty are awesome.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Take your time and decide if there is value in the magnifier for you.

I thought about a magnifier and budget red dot for a while. I decided to go with the PA Advanced micro dot and after shooting it and my buddy's with a vortex dot and vortex magnifier decided I didn't want a magnifier.

moshow9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    El Paso
    I have the vortex, works well. I have it matched up to my vortex red dot, so of course it fits perfect. I haven't tried it with my Holosuns. Vortex CS and lifetime warenty are awesome.

The Vortex is what I have. Get it, you won't regret it.
    2 votes for the Vortex Magnifier.

I thought about a magnifier and budget red dot for a while. I decided to go with the PA Advanced micro dot and after shooting it and my buddy's with a vortex dot and vortex magnifier decided I didn't want a magnifier.
    Good advice as well. Seeing as the Holosun will be arriving first, I can see how I like and shoot with the red dot alone. A magnifier doesn't have to be purchased right now so it gives me time to make a decision.

^^This, about CS and warranty^^

I will say, however, that instead of a RD+magnifier, one might be better off with a 1X variable such as http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/strike_eagle_riflescopes as it is much more versatile.
    Another vote (and option) for Vortex. I won't be picking this one up any time soon, but thank you for putting it on my radar. I'd like to give this one a try at some point.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

This is good advise. The way I see it, a magnifier is a compromise between a scope and iron sights (including red dots). My eye sight is not the best, so about 100 yards is the most I can confidently shoot with just a red dot. A magnifier increases that range.

The way mine is set up, I have a few options when it comes to sights. The magnifier is on a flip mount, which allows me to use just the red dot for close up work. I'm also about to put a folding rear sight that fits under the magnifier on the gun, so that I have a back up in case the electronics ever fail.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    I've got this on a UTG QD Flip to side mount. I don't' keep it on the rifle and only put it on if I need it for competition use or plinking. Gets the job done. All it does is magnify so I'm not willing to spend big bucks on a name brand magnifier.

https://amzn.com/B00CNK4P3I

Top Bottom