• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2018
    Plano
    As a good friend of mine used to say, every .243 should come with a good deer dog. Otherwise, you may lose the blood trail when tracking down the wounded deer.
    I totally agree. I think a 243 is underpowered for deer. A great shot running home made hot laods could kill a deer most of the time but the last thing I want is to track them down. Not to deter you from buying one because it is my faveorite varment gun and I love it. Everyone should own a 243. I have only shot the creed a few times but own a 6.5 grendel I love. My personal faveorite for deer is a 270. 7mm being a close second.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I totally agree. I think a 243 is underpowered for deer. A great shot running home made hot laods could kill a deer most of the time but the last thing I want is to track them down. Not to deter you from buying one because it is my faveorite varment gun and I love it. Everyone should own a 243. I have only shot the creed a few times but own a 6.5 grendel I love. My personal faveorite for deer is a 270. 7mm being a close second.
    So, 9mm is inferior to .45.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

When my father would take men hunting, the gun he always brought was his .270.
    Many times the hunters would have guns they borrowed, or were not sighted in properly and consequently they would miss.
    My father would let them use the .270.
    He had said it probably killed over 300 deer.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never realized what an amazing shot I was. Always figured dropping deer with a .243 was normal. Apparently at 12 years old I was performing amazing feats of marksmanship. Guess I should start looking for a little more respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Never realized what an amazing shot I was. Always figured dropping deer with a .243 was normal. Apparently at 12 years old I was performing amazing feats of marksmanship. Guess I should start looking for a little more respect.

Yep.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I'm looking at getting a bolt gun. just cant decide between a 243 win or 6.5 Creedmoor. the main purpose of this rifle would be hunting whitetail deer. I used a 243 when I was younger. I have many memories hunting with my dad using a 243 rifle (Winchester I think). Never owned anything chambered in 6.5 creedmor

I am a 308 person. It works very well for deer and hogs but if I had to pick 243 is still great and ammo is in good supply compared to 6.5.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

You and my 90 lb daughter. The girl is lethal with that 243. And none have run more than 30 yds.

Last edited:

MarkB462

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2018
    Austin
    I have a .243 and have never had a problem taking a deer. The ammo is easy to find and I typically don’t have to shoot past 300 yards where I hunt.

I am looking for a 6.5 for some long range shooting as it is a very flat shooting and accurate round.

You really can’t go wrong with either. IMHO

texanite15

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2019
    Houston, Tx
    Both great calibers. 6.5 has better ballistics if you ever wanted to go long range. Both will kill a deer and as with any good shot, will drop a deer dead in its tracks.

ejj005

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2018
    College Station
    Like many have said, it’s a toss up. I have both and wouldn’t hesitate to use either one. Find the gun you are comfortable with and pick the caliber.

Top Bottom