• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chips n Salsa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Plano
    Hey, yes, I think so, similar premise. I have these EGW undersize decapping dies in 9, 40, and 45, and I just always reload 40 and 45 using an undersize decapping die. I use crappy, stepped on, dirty range brass. I swear by these EGW dies. I have read the risk is you stress the brass by the slight add'l squeeze, but I have never has issues with brass failure.
    Venture Surplus ad

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Optics Planet had the Lyman 4 die sets on sale for $65 shipped so I went with those. They showed up yesterday and to my surprise, Lyman included a free shell holder as well. I'll clean them up and start resizing / decapping brass this weekend.

Now I need to get some components and I'll be loading.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    Thanks folks. Sounds like Lee dies are the way to go. Now to figure out the press.

Out of curiosity, do the Lee lock rings on the dies stay put when you unscrew them?

Upgrade to the Hornady lock rings.

All others are inferior. Significantly inferior.

Grab the Hornady wrench. Do not try to use an adjustable wrench, it will end badly.

The Hornady rings do not damage the threads on your dies, they stay put when wrench tightened to your press, and they don’t slip, when you wrench tighten or loosen.

I reload for about 15 calibers, and I have replaced the rings on all of them (except for my Dillon dies, they get Dillon rings)

If you’re heart is set on buying a turret press, skip the Lee. It will develop slop after some time.

Save up for a Redding T-7. It is the gold standard for turret presses.

About single stage presses:

Buy a good one. Redding, Hornady, or RCBS. you can increase your productivity by adding enhancements. See Inline Fabrication for all kinds of wonderful enhancements.

I wore out a Lee press in a few years. I upgraded to a Redding Big Boss a few years ago, and it’s really fantastic.

As for dies:

Lee makes fine pistol dies. I’ve had really good luck with them. I also have RCBS and Dillon pistol dies. They’re all pretty great.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Last edited:

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I use Dillon XL 650’s for high volume (handgun and general .223). One is set for large primers and the other for small primers.

I have a T-7 I am setting up with dies dialed in for each rifle. 1 toolhead = 2 rifle setups.

Then a couple of ruck chuckers for other duties. One is for a collet bullet puller.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have a lee turret press that has served me well for almost a decade now. Any slop it develops, you simply adjust for with your dies. I consistently batch out ammo within .002" regardless of bullet brand. Some may have a different OAL but they are consistent at the ogive and that matters a lot more.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The locking ring is part of the system. My locking rings have a set screw to maintain their position. Everything has worked exactly as it should for at least 20 years. Why should it be considered "inferior"?

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    Well, I was going by the title of the thread and the general statement about "all other dies being inferior".

I was commenting about the lock rings.

None, are as good as the Hornady. Not yet, anyway.

RCBS are a pain to tighten and loosen, and the set screw can gall the thread of your dies. I even own a RCBS lock ring wrench, and still don’t like them.

Lee rings are a joke

Redding rings you can’t wrench tighten

Lyman rings are not impressive, kinda like Hornady and Redding had a baby, with none of the desirable characteristics.

Dillon lock rings work great on Dillon tool heads. If I could get the Hornady to fit, I’d use them. The Dillon wrench is the big salvation, I do wish that they would clamp, it’s kind of nerve racking to set up a new tool head sometimes.

I don’t own any Wilson or Forster, so no experience there.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom