Join TexasGunTalk

Which firearms periodicals are worthwhile?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by benenglish, Nov 6, 2013.

1. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In the threads about the debacle at Guns and Ammo, some folks have expressed an opinion that all gun magazines are worthless. I don't agree.

In the world of NFA firearms, Small Arms Review often has good, meaty articles.

For collectors of truly old or historic arms, Man at Arms for the Gun and Sword Collector is pretty great.

For competitive shooting, Shooting Sports USA is good. Target Shooting Magazine from the U.K. is better than good; it's excellent.

What firearms periodicals do you think are worth reading? On the flip side, which ones are a waste of time?

(In that last category, I'd like to nominate Recoil magazine. It's slick and pretty. It's also shallow, unfocused, and I found several serious errors in the first issue I bought. It was my last.)

2. Tejano Scott

Tejano Scott TGT Addict

Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I just sit in Barnes and Noble and skim them all. If something really interests me, I'll occasionally buy one.

3. ArmyZach

ArmyZach Active Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    I don't just look at the pictures, there are actually some interesting articles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

4. BigBoss0311

BigBoss0311 Well-Known

Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I browse as well but do not buy. The internet is so much easier to find good info on certain items. I am tired of seeing items in a magazine that are retarded and yet still get glowing reviews and must buys from the author.

5. Heinz Bar

Heinz Bar Active Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Spring Branch
    The editor who penned that screed about regulation has been fired from Guns and Ammo. See this. I subscribe to G&A and it's a good value. I'll also pick up Recoil (expensive) or Combat Handguns at the store or anything else that catches my eye.

6. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I just recently subscribed to Guns and Ammo and Shooting Times. Also, I receive The American Rifleman. So far they seem like fairly decent reads. I was considering dropping Guns and Ammo because of the recent article by Dick Metcalf, but in light of their retraction and firing of Mr. Metcalf, I am going to keep it.

A lot of hand gun enthusiasts tout American Handgunner as a good magazine, and I am considering subscribing to that one.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  7. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Guns magazine and American Handgunner are both excellent magazines. One is monthly and the other is every other month but I can't remember which. John Connor alone is worth the subscription price.
    I have seen them give negative reviews when needed and I like that about them.

There isn't usually enough new stuff to fill a magazine every month but they seem to find a way to keep it interesting.

8. grumper

grumper Well-Known

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Only one I get is American Rifleman from the NRA.

I used to get Small Arms Review but they stopped printing monthly issues and went quarterly. That irked me somewhat, but here's the big turn-off: the head guy at SAR is one of the bigwigs in NFATCA, the group that complained to holder/obama about painless trust/LLC/corp transfers despite the fact it's been like that for 79 years and hasn't caused a crime wave yet. Dan Shea helped kill the only NFA ownership route for those of us stuck in 'no signature land'.

I do not plan on resubbing ever, and even if I didn't hold a grudge why would I? They put me out of the NFA game for good. Their magazine serves no purpose for me now.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  9. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I got a subscription to Guns and Ammo as a Christmas present a couple years back from my mother-in-law and we've been renewing it ever since. I recently stopped the hardcopy delivery and now read it on my Kindle. I like the mag, especially Patrick Sweeney's articles; plus they do a lot of historical military firearm comparisons.

My biggest gripe is that the digital version is about $1.50 an issue, whereas the hardcopy one delivered to the house is $1.08. Why is that?!?

Otherwise, I pick up the G&A Book of the AK-47 and a similar annual put out by a different publisher this year; that's about it. I skim through American Rifleman but to be honest I find it less interesting than G&A.

10. Davetex

Davetex TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 27, 2010
    Pflugerville
    I've narrowed mine down to Gun Tests magazine. It's a little pricey, but it's all meat. No ads allowed, it is funded by subscriptions only and they are out of Texas.

Gun Tests the consumer resource for the serious shooter.

They compare and contrast all different kinds of firearms side by side in different categories.