Venture Surplus ad

which is more accurate, Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22 (not the bull barrel or carbine)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lv125403

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    I am on the market for an new .22 semi-auto rifle. I owned a marlin 60 when I was a kid and it shot very accurate but I always hated the tube magazine. I traded it for a new Ruger 10/22 Carbine (short barrel 16.5 inch) and lost accuracy. I love the 10/22 action but want accuracy, so I was wondering if I may have just gotten a lemon, or if maybe the regular 10/22 barrel(18.5 inch) is a lot more accurate. Can anyone help me with my decision? Thanks!
    Venture Surplus ad

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I have a 10/22 carbine and have been very pleased with the accuracy at 50 yards. .22 tends to be a very accurate round, even though most of the ammo you see is pretty much low-end junk when compared to other calibers. I don't shoot that far, so either you shoot farther or got a lemon. I love plinking with the 10/22.

yellowdog762

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have no experience within the Marlin rim fire rifles but I like their center fire lever action rifles.

BTW, barrel length has no bearing on accuracy, within reason. Potentially, a longer barrel may have more velocity vs. a shorter one, all things being equal, but long barrels are not inherently more accurate than short ones so buy the length that you like.

I LOVE the 10/22 because of all the gadgets they make for it and I HATE tube magazines on rim fire rifles! I want to shoot, not load tube mags!

If you still have the 10/22 carbine check the tightness of the barrel and stock screws and ALL the scope screws. If your scope is an "el cheapo" one then I'd also look hard at that sucker as a possible culprit. Clean the rifle thoroughly and take care to remove any lead build up from the barrel. Then try some copper coated bullets, high velocity but not hyper velocity, and perhaps some green tag CCI ammo. If it still won't shoot well PM me, maybe you can talk me into buying it. :)

The way things are going, you could probably buy a 10/22, shoot it awhile to see if you like it and can get acceptable accuracy (or can modify it to such) and then sell it if you still don't like it without taking too bad a hit. Using bulk pack Remington Golden Bullets, mine clover leafs the groups at 35 yards which works for my purposes. If you have good eyesight you may do much better than I.

If you find a good shooter be sure not to use a metal cleaning rod from the bore end. I use an Otis cleaning "rod".

My 10/22 has a stock, regular weight barrel plus after market recoil buffer $10), Volquarten extended mag release ($20) and bolt hold open ($10) plus lots and lots of 25 round mags (avoid Eagles). :)

With a folding stock the rifle will fit in many back packs. I like the Choate folder better than the Butler Creek one. A stainless version, with some heavy duty after market peep sights, would make a great boat or small plane survival rifle.

With a scope and medium height rings, mine is sighted in with a 38 to 40 gr high velocity round to hit dead center at 20 yards, it will also be dead on at about 52 yards. Once it gets out past about 12 yards it is never more than .5 in high or low from line of sight until it gets to about 65 yards. With this setting it is pretty easy to head shoot squirrels at any reasonable distance with very little Kentucky windage. Drop at 100 yards is 4.75 inches, which is a long shot for game with a rim fire .22.

Disclosure: I copied the above range info off the web years ago but it works well for me.

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    I don't know anything about the Marlin.
    I can talk about the 10/22 from experience though.

I purchased the cheapest, new 10/22 I could get my hands on.
    It shot OK, but nothing special.
    I decided to try a few things to help the accuracy.
    The first thing I had to do was solve the slop between the trigger group and receiver- the pins would fall out on their own. I added a receiver pin kit and bolt buffer.
    The trigger on mine was awful. Well, maybe it wasn't but I have become used to 2 stage triggers so I put a reasonably priced trigger group in it.
    These 2 items made a noticeable improvement but that wasn't quite enough yet.
    I replaced the bolt assy and now the thing shoots extremely well while appearing 100% out of the box stock.
    I thought about putting a new barrel and stock on the rifle but decided accuracy was the primary goal rather than spending another $250 to make the rifle look as good as it shoots.

Everything I chose to replace (except for the trigger group) came from
    this website- KID Product for the Ruger 10

I have a modest investment in my 10/22 and it is capable of very good accuracy now. My $450 rifle, including the scope, will shoot just as well as my buddys $1000 Volquartsen- it just irritates him to no end.
    Does my rifle look as nice?-Not even close.

Top Bottom