Which is more popular? 1911 vs. AR-15

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by radioflyer, Sep 27, 2009.

1. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Both are extrodinary firearms that are now made by a several different companies.

which do you think is the more popular gun?

2. 50calRay

50calRay Active Member

Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    1911 [​IMG]

The 1911 has been around 40-50yrs before the AR15 and it will be around long after it's gone.

3. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    Your comparing apples to oranges.

But I'g guess the AR-15.

The AR-15 is gaining popularity. The 1911, or at least the .45 auto, isn't nearly as popular as it used to be, IMHO. The price of shooting and buying them has gone up realatively over the years and there are so many other quality pistol options that can be had for the price of your baseline 1911.

Just my 2 cents.

(I'm gonna get crusified by the 1911 people, aren't I.)

4. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

Well, to add to AR-15 factor; the "tacticool" is a younger generation phase. So many different manufacturers are putting into what sells; Black Plastic - handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. It's cheaper, lighter and reliable... I remember the days when the "cheap nylon" was looked down by LEOs. They would only wear leather belts, holsters, etc. Same as the metal frame vs to that "cheap ole plastic crapola" like the Glock (which somehow proved to be a very reliable gun with the plus factor of less weight).
    I won't say the 1911s will ever been a dinosaur, but you can easily see the trend of sells from the last 20 years. I don't have numbers in sales to tell you, but goto any gun retail outlet and you can pretty much get an idea...

Please don't get me wrong, I still feel that my ultimate pistol to own would be a 1911. It's more of status of owning one vs making it my every day carry.

5. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I thinks its kinda hard to say cause both were selling like crazy, AR's are easier to find now but some of the 1911's are still hard to get.

6. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's so apples to oranges, that it's really not possible to compare popularity. But think about this....how many 1911's have been made, and are still around - and how many more are being made every year??? Have a feeling that the numbers for 1911's are WAY over those of the AR-15. I own 2 built AR's, have the lowers for another 12 - but I own 20+ 1911's....and I'm always lookin' for another!

7. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston

Hey G, did you see your post number on this?????

8. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    :devil:Da debbil made me do it....

9. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    You are not going to get flamed by the 1911 lovers. I promise!

Rest your mind with some aroma therapy and pet your subcaliber species firearm,and be at peace.

I LIED! YOUSUCKER:lolz:

hahahsahahahahahahaha

I have a great son-in-law that continues to show me all his new and improved new school wonderguns. I love to tell him after he finishes his sales talk to me, Son it dont matter what you got, its whether you can hit with it. He keeps missing this small part of advice.

By the way, JMB design has been around for a long time and will be around after som eof the plastic is gone.
    Just my two cents worth.