• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Both are extrodinary firearms that are now made by a several different companies.

which do you think is the more popular gun?
    Venture Surplus ad

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    emoticoncoolgleam.jpg

The 1911 has been around 40-50yrs before the AR15 and it will be around long after it's gone.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Your comparing apples to oranges.

But I'g guess the AR-15.

The AR-15 is gaining popularity. The 1911, or at least the .45 auto, isn't nearly as popular as it used to be, IMHO. The price of shooting and buying them has gone up realatively over the years and there are so many other quality pistol options that can be had for the price of your baseline 1911.

Just my 2 cents.

(I'm gonna get crusified by the 1911 people, aren't I.)

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Well, to add to AR-15 factor; the "tacticool" is a younger generation phase. So many different manufacturers are putting into what sells; Black Plastic - handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. It's cheaper, lighter and reliable... I remember the days when the "cheap nylon" was looked down by LEOs. They would only wear leather belts, holsters, etc. Same as the metal frame vs to that "cheap ole plastic crapola" like the Glock (which somehow proved to be a very reliable gun with the plus factor of less weight).
    I won't say the 1911s will ever been a dinosaur, but you can easily see the trend of sells from the last 20 years. I don't have numbers in sales to tell you, but goto any gun retail outlet and you can pretty much get an idea...

Please don't get me wrong, I still feel that my ultimate pistol to own would be a 1911. It's more of status of owning one vs making it my every day carry.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I thinks its kinda hard to say cause both were selling like crazy, AR's are easier to find now but some of the 1911's are still hard to get.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's so apples to oranges, that it's really not possible to compare popularity. But think about this....how many 1911's have been made, and are still around - and how many more are being made every year??? Have a feeling that the numbers for 1911's are WAY over those of the AR-15. I own 2 built AR's, have the lowers for another 12 - but I own 20+ 1911's....and I'm always lookin' for another!

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    It's so apples to oranges, that it's really not possible to compare popularity. But think about this....how many 1911's have been made, and are still around - and how many more are being made every year??? Have a feeling that the numbers for 1911's are WAY over those of the AR-15. I own 2 built AR's, have the lowers for another 12 - but I own 20+ 1911's....and I'm always lookin' for another!

Hey G, did you see your post number on this?????

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas

But I'g guess the AR-15.

The AR-15 is gaining popularity. The 1911, or at least the .45 auto, isn't nearly as popular as it used to be, IMHO. The price of shooting and buying them has gone up realatively over the years and there are so many other quality pistol options that can be had for the price of your baseline 1911.

Just my 2 cents.

You are not going to get flamed by the 1911 lovers. I promise!

Rest your mind with some aroma therapy and pet your subcaliber species firearm,and be at peace.

I LIED! YOUSUCKER

hahahsahahahahahahaha

I have a great son-in-law that continues to show me all his new and improved new school wonderguns. I love to tell him after he finishes his sales talk to me, Son it dont matter what you got, its whether you can hit with it. He keeps missing this small part of advice.

By the way, JMB design has been around for a long time and will be around after som eof the plastic is gone.
    Just my two cents worth.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Apples to oranges...yes but since both appear to be a similar price range, and popularity, I'm just curious which direction people would go.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Apples to oranges...yes but since both appear to be a similar price range, and popularity, I'm just curious which direction people would go.

It would make more sense to ask, if you're looking at a particular discipline or purpose, which would people choose over a different handgun over the 1911 or a different rifle over an AR.

For example, in NRA High Power would people choose an AR over an M1 Garand or M1A or bolt action match rifle like a modified Winchester Model 70 or Remington 700? Currently, there are more ARs on the line than any other rifle, so the answer would be yes.

In Bullseye, would you choose a 1911 platform over say a S&W 52 for the Centerfire match? Again, there are more 1911s on the line than any other pistol.

For self defense, would you choose a pistol over a rifle. More than likely, yes, since it can be applied in more situations than a rifle, but would you choose a 1911 over say a revolver or some smaller frame semi-auto? Probably yes, even though I know a few guys who use either a full-size Colt or a Commander for their CHL pistol.

I think my point is, the question as it stands does not make sense, since you ask a broad question without qualifiers; i.e., why are you asking someone to choose since there is no point of reference or reason to pick one or the other except price.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    How about both at once???? AR in .45 acp! Now I have a carbine that will shoot my favorite pistol ammo! The AR is short, light, and has a 30 rnd mag! the 21st century version of the Thompson! MG

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    For just general purpose, I bought my Colt 1911 Government Model .45acp first as Colt only puts out a certain number of the Government model per year. Then I bought an AR-15. I own both and love them both, but it all depends on what your purpose of it. I personally like the 1911 and the AR's but in overall purchase one over the other I'd have to say the Colt 1911. My AR-15 was kind of a spur of the moment thing, found one on Gunbroker for a great price and couldn't pass it up.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so

But I'g guess the AR-15.
    The 1911, or at least the .45 auto, isn't nearly as popular as it used to be, IMHO. The price of shooting and buying them has gone up realatively over the years and there are so many other quality pistol options that can be had for the price of your baseline 1911.

Just my 2 cents.

Actually, adjusted for inflation, the basic Colt 1911 Government model is about the same as it was in 1915.

There are over 25 diferent makers of 1911 pistols today. Some can be had for less than $400 and full house customs for as much as 10 grand.

It depends on what you want. Alot of the cost of the above inflation pistols is for value or perceived value added options like beavertails, FCS, night sights, Novak sights and the list goes on.

The 1911 is gaining in popularity. All the makers are selling all they make and people are screaming for more.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Actually, adjusted for inflation, the basic Colt 1911 Government model is about the same as it was in 1915.

There are over 25 diferent makers of 1911 pistols today. Some can be had for less than $400 and full house customs for as much as 10 grand.

It depends on what you want. Alot of the cost of the above inflation pistols is for value or perceived value added options like beavertails, FCS, night sights, Novak sights and the list goes on.

The 1911 is gaining in popularity. All the makers are selling all they make and people are screaming for more.

yes, and no.

The cheapest I've seen a brand name, new 1911 was for something like $500 gunbroker. You go to Academy, you can get one for $600 (probably not comletely baseline, but probably pretty close. A colt will cost you around $800. I know some people have a talent for finding great guns and a great deal (cough TexasRedneck cough).

The price of .45 auto is expensive. I've seen plinking ammo for $.35+ a shot. 40 S&W closer to .30 9mm closer to .22-23/shot.

A brand new glock at academy is 540 + tax a bit more for the model 21 and 20 or long slides, Sig (600-750)

There are also a boat load of quasi-namebrand guns in the under $400 range.

I know this is all anectodal and based on my very limited experience. I see a 1911 as more of a gun with class and style, as opposed to a utilitarian gun. I think it woud be really ineresting to see the average amount people pay for a new 1911. I admit, I haven't looked at 45 ammo prices untill recently.

I'm sure you can find cheaper ones, but you can find other guns cheaper too.
    I know the question was about popularity. I'm not really disagreeing with you that the 1911 being an incredibly popular pistol. I'd like to see numbers as to how many 1911 are sold each year, but I'd bet that the newer shooters are buying less 1911's than other pistol types.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    yes, and no.
    I know some people have a talent for finding great guns and a great deal (cough TexasRedneck cough).

Yes and no.....you don't wanna know how many I drool over between finding the deals!

The price of .45 auto is expensive. I've seen plinking ammo for $.35+ a shot. 40 S&W closer to .30 9mm closer to .22-23/shot. .

Quick answer...reload. .12-14/shot for .45

A brand new glock at academy is 540 + tax a bit more for the model 21 and 20 or long slides, Sig (600-750) .

True...and resale value is? I guess that was the real eye-opener for me when I was selling my Mdl 22. Just didn't seem to be much of a secondary market for it unless I was willing to come into the low-to-mid 3's for it. Then again, if I'd liked it, I wouldn't have sold it, and it wouldn't matter.

I know this is all anectodal and based on my very limited experience. I see a 1911 as more of a gun with class and style, as opposed to a utilitarian gun. I think it woud be really ineresting to see the average amount people pay for a new 1911. I admit, I haven't looked at 45 ammo prices untill recently.

Hmmm....I've got a 50's-era .45, and a WWII-era .45. Both have seen the Tiger more'n once, and will get the job done at any time. They're happier in the truck than in my safe - but I figger they've earned some time off.

I know the question was about popularity. I'm not really disagreeing with you that the 1911 being an incredibly popular pistol. I'd like to see numbers as to how many 1911 are sold each year, but I'd bet that the newer shooters are buying less 1911's than other pistol types.

Well now....mebbe, mebbe not. Look at the plethora of 45 makers out there, and it seems every time we turn around, someone else is entering the market. LAPD's SWAT teams came back to the slabsides - and those boys are very "style" concious - so I'd tend to think that they opted for function as being Job 1 - and look what they chose....

There really is no "end-all, be-all" gun for ANY of us - otherwise I'd own one or two handguns. As it is, while the majority of my guns are 45's, certainly not all of 'em are - and the one in the wifes' nightstand is a S&W wheelgun - but if TSHTF, you can pretty much bet there'll be a 1911 in MY grubby mitts!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm definately not saying that the 1911 is outdated.

I guess the answer to making shooting affordable is reloading. : )

I guess I'm tired of being poor. I want to be able to buy more guns.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeppirs - reloading is definitely the answer! Bunch of us gettin' together tomorrow for a "fun shoot" - ah'm takin' 1500 rounds w/me just in case. No WAY I could afford to do that with factory loaded stuff!

Top Bottom