• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    If you're looking for a side/under-folder, I would highly suggest getting a standard, fixed-stock receiver rifle of __mm thickness (your preference) and then buying an adapter that fits a folding stock to it (this may have already been suggested by others/considered by you). Stamped steel AK-47 receivers have to have an entire extra set of holes cut in them to accommodate a special rear trunnion that is designed to allow the stock to fold/swivel, and in doing so weakens the structural rigidity of the receiver, which must then be rectified by welding additional metal plates into it at different key locations to restore some stoutness (otherwise the receiver would eventually bend out of shape over the life of the rifle). Once an AK-47 has been machined to accept a folding stock it can't be converted back, whereas a normal receiver-type AK can be converted to use folding stocks either with an adapter specially made to fit with the existing stock mounting trunnion, or machined down to have it fit a permanent folding stock -- this gives you greater flexibility in case your tastes or needs change in time. As far as I know, the level of modifications needing to be done to take a milled receiver rifle and converting it to fixed-stock status is not only prohibitively labor and cost intensive, it just isn't structurally feasible without a LOT of work done to it.

If you're looking for a good quality AK-pattern rifle, buy an American assembled gun from a quality Russian/Bulgarian parts kit, your choice of caliber. As some have already told you, there are good and bad quality AK builders out there -- your best bet is to conduct research on builders' previous track records of service. AK-47's usually aren't finicky rifles, but if you buy from a non-reputable builder, you could end up with a gun chambered for 5.45x39mm that has a 5.56x45mm NATO barrel mistakenly put on it, one whose rivet job was done poorly enough that the rifle hammers out its own rivets and falls apart in your hands from simple recoil forces alone, or one whose gas port was drilled improperly and now the gun receives too much gas (excess receiver and BCG wear/premature receiver failure) or too little (the gun cycles like crap and jams every other shot), or any other number of problems with the internals/misalignment of the gas block/front sight block. The best guns for the money I hear are Russian Saiga's whose parts are produced in Russia, and reassembled on American receivers and given American-made barrels here in the US. Failing that, VEPR conversions achieve most of the same effect, but with the added step of having to pay somebody to convert the VEPR from its import sporting configuration to standard AK rifle configuration.

I'm not too versed on AK-74's, but I don't think there is such a beast as an AK-74 intended for grenade launcher use because of the cartridge size.

On receiver thickness, one thing you should note is that receiver thickness doesn't cause a whole lot of difference in shooting accuracy unless you're trying to take targets out at long range -- most AK-47's are sighted in and intended to be used primarily at 50-75 yards to begin with, but the stiffer receiver can be handy if you're intending to target shoot out past 100-150 yards (the theoretical example difference of being 3.50" groups at 100 yards rather than 3.75"+ groups, assuming you're doing your part). Milled steel rifles are also considerably heavier and retain heat more than stamped-steel rifles; finally, once a milled steel rifle develops a crack in the receiver either due to stress/end of service life or improper metallurgy, the whole receiver becomes a complete write-off necessitating a receiver replacement or transplant of existing parts to a new receiver. That said, I love my milled steel AK -- it shoots great and looks even better. Conversely, improperly heat treated stamped-steel rifles will eventually egg out the holes in the receiver in which the internals sit, ruining the gun as well.

(Note: There is enough information on receiver types, pros and cons, ammo type, utility, parts differences, configuration/layout differences, and a whole bunch of other stuff to cover 3+ books on the subject -- I did the best I could to briefly cover it all here. If you're looking for more reading material, I suggest you check the AK section of GunBoards or something similar and put on a pot of coffee.)
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    I bought the m92 pap pistol on Black Friday for $419 delivered and we had a blast with it on New Years Eve. At least 300 rds with no issues.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    That does seem to set the standard.

I'm sure you will not be disappointed if you do go Arsenal, but is it $400 better than the O-PAP, or the CAI Centurion 39, both mentioned by Madmax? Both could be had for under $600. You could by both, actually, and spend around the price of a milled Arsenal. Also, you are not losing much if they aren't your favorites, and hell, they're AKs, just hide em somewhere as a good insurance policy. Unless AK is your go to system and you want the very best. In that case, in the same ballpark is a SIG 556R. With that, you at least get a modernized weapon that is potentially more accurate and better made.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ive considered the Sig 556r or Arsenal if i want to spend that much. Ive also just considered going to a 308 and just skipping 762x39 all together. Im not sure if i need 556, 762x39 and 308 Win.

Its weird. Pistols im settled on 9mm.

Rifles, the performance differences really are vastly different between calibers.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Ive considered the Sig 556r or Arsenal if i want to spend that much. Ive also just considered going to a 308 and just skipping 762x39 all together. Im not sure if i need 556, 762x39 and 308 Win.

Its weird. Pistols im settled on 9mm.

Rifles, the performance differences really are vastly different between calibers.

I think you are in the same dilemma as most of the world's militaries since about 1946.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think you are in the same dilemma as most of the world's militaries since about 1946.

I think about that in my gun buying. Like how the AR is now so ubiquitous in the civilian community. If its for gun games and range fun thats great but in the military is serves a role but is deployed in fire teams/squads/platoons mixed in with other weapons. If a person wants the AR because thats what they want thats cool. My guns are for defense not just range fun. So then i start considering my weapons as layers (as they are in the real world, not on the range).

22LR: for small game hunting/last ditch effort with tons of ammo: check

9mm: for personal protection/concealed carry/HD: check

556 rifle: 0-400 meters good to go. Not much good for hunting or barrier penetration although ammo choice helps: check

762x39??????: 0-150m great, can go 300. Capable hunting round, decent penetrator. AK platform with 30 round mags is affordable setup

308 win?????: 0-500m, capable at farther range. Great hunting round, great penetrator. Considering Saiga 308, Fal, M1A or Ruger GSR to save money. If i get a semi auto in 308 im not sure i need one in 762x390

Shotgun??????: Short range, low capacity, heavy and bulky ammo. im starting to question if i really need one but am leaning towards getting a Remington 870.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The SIG 556R is an interesting rifle, I've not had a chance to shoot one but I've handled a few. I think was a brilliant move by SIG to build a version of this rifle in 7.62x39, considering the number of AK variants in the world and militaries using that round. The only thing is the price, about $1300 if I am not mistaken. There are a lot of really good AKs that can be found much cheaper than that, and think about all the ammo you can buy with the difference!

I've always stuck with the 7.62x39 round, it's still the most prevalent version of the Kalashnikov ever made and in my opinion a much better round than the 5.45/5.56 (although we all know that's been debated to death!). I do have a .308 hunting rifle, but the sheer cost of that round prevents me from shooting it too often. Plus, I have enough rifles that shoot the 7.62x54R round if I want something with a little more "oomph!"

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    7.62x39 is still reasonably priced ($225-250 for 1000 rounds) and is a lot easier to find that .22LR! A Saiga .308, while an excellent DMR, is not practically for regular shooting unless you've got deep pockets.

I saw your questions on XDTalk about the SIG 556, that's a sharp rifle but if you are on a budget I don't understand why you'd consider it over a standard AK which could be easily had in the $500-600 range. Sure, it won't be a Saiga Legion or Bulgarian Arsenal; but my WASR-10/63 is a great shooter even thought it is a bit "cruder" than those rifles. The Yugo O-PAPs are a great deal right now, as are the Century Vz2008s (but be aware that is not a true AK and parts are not interchangeable. Not even the magazines will swap). Centerfire Systems has some good deals, as does J&G Sales. Atlantic Firearms offers some cool AKs, but they are of a higher quality and more expensive. For someone's first AK, I would recommend finding something more at the entry level until such time as you know if they're right for you (they're not everyone's cup of tea) and you can afford to collect more exclusive versions of the Kalashnikov.

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Plus, .308 Saigas aren't cheap rifles, they usually run $700-750 in stock form and that's if you can even find them! They're not easy to score these days.

Don't get me wrong, I've read a lot of good things about converted Saiga .308s as DMRs, but you'll have to put some money into one if you want it to be a good, accurate shooter. I don't see anyone doing that for under a grand, more likely it'd cost you $1500 or more.

Nutnfancy did an excellent review of them here...

The Saiga .308: Russian Heavy Armament [Full Review] - YouTube

Also understand that it's not really a sniper rifle but more of a dedicated marksman rifle; so as Nutnfancy says many people are disappointed as they have higher expectations than what's realistic for a rifle of this type. Actually, if I am not mistaken, I've read where the shorter barrels are actually more accurate than the longer ones...

Cheers! M2

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Shorter barrels should be stiffer and whip less than a long barrel so that makes sense.

Good point about the cost.

I appreciate the continued input. Im trying to really study this purchase as im tired of buying and selling guns at a loss.

I just need to go slow.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Hopefully that helps but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
    Well, since you offered. ;)

I've wanted a Valmet M76 since I was a teen.

RK_62_76_zps66b6acab.jpg

What's your opinion of them?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, since you offered. ;)

I've wanted a Valmet M76 since I was a teen.

RK_62_76_zps66b6acab.jpg

What's your opinion of them?

If I could find one, especially a folding stock model in 7.62x39 (rumored to be only 50 examples of which are in the US), I'd never let it go! Last one I saw on GunsAmerica sold for five grand. Great rifles (as Finn builds usually are), but not sure it's worth that kind of money...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If I could find one, especially a folding stock model in 7.62x39 (rumored to be only 50 examples of which are in the US), I'd never let it go! Last one I saw on GunsAmerica sold for five grand. Great rifles (as Finn builds usually are), but not sure it's worth that kind of money...
    $5,000.00! I knew they were premium quality but that's too much. For that kind of money, I'd prefer to throw in a few extra bucks and get a SIG AMT or Stg Pe57.

Assuming I'm willing to spend up to $2K for a semi-auto rifle in 7.69x39, what would you suggest? I've handled the SIG 556R and found it a bit roughly finished and plasticky but not too bad. Frankly, I really like the way my Russian SKS feels. If I could have what I really want, it would be a slightly smaller, lighter SIG AMT in 7.62x39. I don't suppose anyone has ever made anything conceptually similar to that, have they?

Top Bottom