• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    And honestly, if you just go to his profile and click "find recent posts" you will probably see several posts where he has rated AKs from the bottom to the top with painstaking details included of pros/cons.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    And honestly, if you just go to his profile and click "find recent posts" you will probably see several posts where he has rated AKs from the bottom to the top with painstaking details included of pros/cons.

Sweet! Will check that out.

I dont know much about AKs and what really matters on them and what doesnt.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, I appreciate the compliment but there are several AK experts on here as well. I just love the platform and am a student of the rifles.

That M70AB2T that you've listed would not be my first choice mainly because it is the 1.0mm receiver that wasn't common on Yugo AKs. It also doesn't have the bulged RPG receiver that the M70 series had for its grenade launching capabilities (although it has the gas block, which can cause problems although that's rare). There are a lot better AKs out there in the sub-$600 range. Heck, you can find a M70AB2 underfolder with the 1.5mm receiver and RPG trunnions for a little more than that. I actually just saw a M70B1 (same as the M70AB1 but with a fixed stock) which is really a rare bird a the SAXET gun show for $625, I almost grabbed it. It had polymer furniture on it, but that can be easily replaced with Balkan War BFPU furniture from APEX.

I also have several Romanian AKs to include a WASR-10 that some people disparage but which is actually a good rifle. It is a bit crude compared to Russian Saigas or even Bulgarian or Polish AKs; but mine are all great shooters and I would recommend them to anyone looking for an entry-level AK. They sometimes suffer from canted front sights or gas tubes, so it's always better to buy in person if possible so you can make sure everything lines up. Those issues can be found in almost all models of AKs but seem much more prevalent in the WASRs whereas it is usually pretty rare in other countries' models (I've heard a few of the new Yugo PAPs have suffered from it, though).

Atlantic has some nice rifles but they aren't the best priced AKs around. Try Centerfire Systems or J&G Sales for better prices. Right now the Yugo N- and O-PAPs are hot sellers, but I would recommend the latter as it has the bulged RPG receiver previously mentioned. These rifles don't have the gas block grenade launcher capability, but few people have the practice grenades or use them (I've got one for show but I've never fired it). They are heavier than normal stamped AKs but that makes them better shooters as they are more solid and flex less.

I just picked up a Century Centurion C39 from J&G sales which has a milled receiver versus a stamped one. The difference is that one started out as a 11-pound block of steel that was forged into its shape, whereas a stamped one starts out as a flat sheet of metal that is bent into shape then held together with rivets. The latter is lighter and more common, most AKs you see today are actually AKMs (Автомат Калашникова Модернизированный, or Avtomat Kalashnikova Modernizirovanniy which basically means "Automatic Kalashnikov Modernized") which are made with stamped receivers but milled models are still made especially by Bulgaria. I can't give you a good review of the C39 as I haven't shot it yet (hopefully tomorrow) but it is an American-made milled AK for under $600 which is a good deal.

Hopefully that helps but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I would also recommend checking out the AK Forum as I find it to be the best discussion group on the Kalashnikov out there. The AK Files isn't bad but there can be the occasional drama on there which makes it feel like AR15.com sometimes. Still, it's worth checking out.

Cheers! M2

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, I appreciate the compliment but there are several AK experts on here as well. I just love the platform and am a student of the rifles.

That M70AB2T that you've listed would not be my first choice mainly because it is the 1.0mm receiver that wasn't common on Yugo AKs. It also doesn't have the bulged RPG receiver that the M70 series had for its grenade launching capabilities (although it has the gas block, which can cause problems although that's rare). There are a lot better AKs out there in the sub-$600 range. Heck, you can find a M70AB2 underfolder with the 1.5mm receiver and RPG trunnions for a little more than that. I actually just saw a M70B1 (same as the M70AB1 but with a fixed stock) which is really a rare bird a the SAXET gun show for $625, I almost grabbed it. It had polymer furniture on it, but that can be easily replaced with Balkan War BFPU furniture from APEX.

Cheers! M2

I went back to that dealer with the M70B1 about 10:45 this morning before leaving the show and it was already gone. I was seriously considering getting in trouble and buying that thing.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the info here.

-Grenade launcher I'm not interested in.

-I do want an underfolder or side folder or one capable of such. (I know fixed stocks are better for actually shooting, but I'm converting or going to folding stocks on about all of my guns as I'm starting to appreciate them.)

-I understand the difference between stamped vs milled. Looks like I'd want the thicker stamped one if I don't get one with a milled receiver.

-How can I identify the RPG (i've hear of RPK, but not this use of RPG) receiver?

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX

The second one looks better - it has the stronger bulged receiver. As it happens, I built one of those about a year and a half back - got a fixed-stock Yugo kit in trade for some primers, so I eventually bought a Nodak Spud receiver and decided to convert it to a side-folder:

73mr5s.jpg

Bear in mind - Yugo furniture isn't the same as regular AK furniture.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Agreed, get the M70AB2 (thicker 1.5mm RPG receiver) over the M70AB2T (1.0mm non-RPG receiver).

Steer clear of IO, they don't have the best reputation. I'll let you know how the Century "American AK" goes after tomorrow.

The bulge is evident just below the charging handle on the above-pictured AK and just above the "dimple." A non-RPG receiver will be smooth in that area. That supports the launching of grenades, as does the flip-up grenade sight at the front of the gas tube (ahead of the upper handguard) which also serves as the gas block.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow, launching grenades from the bipod means you've captured the high position or you are doing direct fire!

Thanks for all the info.

This AK world has it's own language. No-dak spud!

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Define "regular" AK, first of all. Different receivers are built and shaped differently.

That said, Google "ak stock adapter block" - pay attention to the Ace adapters, first off; those go onto/into the rear of the receiver. Then you'll need to decide on the folding mechanism (the actual hinge itself if you will) - I chose a Stormwerkz model because it locks up solidly - and then select the actual stock which bolts onto the hinge.

Top Bottom