which one is better for hog hunting

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by l PATRICK l, Jul 31, 2009.

1. l PATRICK l

l PATRICK l New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    austin
    This topic is to show opinions on either a military scope, the Trijicon acog, or a long range scope like a leupold for hog hunting with a 223.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    You rarely get distance shots on hogs in daylight hours. you are more likely to be much less than 100 yards so I would say ACOG. OTOH, a .223 is pretty marginal for tough animals like hogs so precise shot placement is preferred to spray and pray. If you are shooting for eyeballs, an ACOG will not be your best bet.

3. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Hog hunting with a long gun - wheres the sport in that - LOL!!!!

Got to ease up on them and blast their nasty ass with the ol 44mag or other hand cannon of choice - but a long gun - ROFLMAO!!!!

Sorry never hunted hog any other way but a pistol, just can't see the fun in long range hog hunting.:2cents:

4. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I personally use the only rifle I have right now, a 30-06 with a 7 power fixed power scope. But my rifle has factory iron sights as well so if all I'm doing is hogs I can take the scope off. I don't but I could. I like open sights for pigs. If I still had my 30-30 that is what I would take. With open sights of course. :happy0001:

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Don't listen to Mo, use a bazooka if you have one :lolz:

My son insists we use handguns. I'm still thinking long as we haven't had our first pig out yet.

6. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Ohhhh come on DC you just have to imagine and it takes so little imagination, that the little piggy you have in your sights is Pelosi.
    Now would you not rather be up close and personal like when you squeeze the trigger! :lolz:

7. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Uh, Pelosi has a pen and probably dentures ... Pigs have teeth and weight 10x as much.

Pass the bazooka please. :lolz:

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    And they are mean as the devil himself when cornered by some dogs and all you have is a knife. Don't ask! I'm with D, pass the big gun with the express sights!

9. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Now I am starting to understand , you and DC never had to face down a 30lb raccoon bore that was just wounded.
    After that, pigs ain't crap. A pig can't jump in your face and tear it off like a pissed bore coon can.
    That's a nigh 4 of use will never forget!

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    It's called coon hunting not coon wrestling what the hell were you thinking!:crazy-1::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: And no I have not. But I'd still like to have a more than a knife the next time I hunt pigs, and the time that.