• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    I'm trying to decide which of the three following pistols I should get. I'm looking at a CZ 2075 RAMI, an S&W Shield and maybe a XDs9. I know it's a stretch calling the XDs-9 and Shield a pocket pistol, but I've tried both and they will work for me. I carry mostly IWB and occasionally in the pocket.

So of the three aforementioned pistols which should I get? I've heard the Shield trigger is not the best, and if I get it I will install an APEX trigger system. The CZ price is about $600, the Shield is about $150 cheaper, but the trigger upgrade will put the cost close to the CZ. I haven't checked the priced on the XDs, 9mm. I've never even held one so can't compare it.

So, any opinions or considerations on which to get? I'm getting rid of my Beretta Nano. I've had it for six months and haven't even fired it yet. People seem to like the Nano, but I don't like the way it fits my hand. If I can't get a decent trade on the other pistols I'll put up on the board soon. Thanks
    Target Sports

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    All 3 good guns in my opinion. Although I've never shot the Rami, but its a CZ so can't go wrong there. All comes down to what feels good in your hand and you shoot well. I bought a Sig 938 without holding one and regreted it. Traded it as soon as I could. So try them out it's the best way to determine.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Just got my sheild last week, right out of the box it was very accurate.
    At 7 yards I think the biggest group of the day was 4".And im a newb shooter.Here is a pic of the tightest 8rnd group.
    Had a stove pipe in the first 50 rounds but i put a total of 200 through it with no other issues.
    sary4yhe.jpg

With the 7Rnd mag and desantis nemisis, I have carried it in cargo type shorts and basketball shorts with no problems.
    tasy6e9a.jpg

I have no personal experience with the other pistols listed but I have got to say I love the quality of the m&p sheild, the trigger is beautiful.I hear a lot of jibber jabber about the trigger this and the trigger that.But imo its perfect as is and i even Iiked it better then the SR9C trigger.Hell it even felt like it handles recoil better then it to.

Best of all its made in the USA!

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The RAMI is a nice compact, but being a double stack it is not nearly compact as the XDs and Shield. The XDs and Shield are pushing the boundaries of pocket carry as it is; I just can't see the RAMI carrying well in a pocket.

XDs vs. Shield... That's a tough one and will really come down to personal preference. Both are great guns. The Shield's trigger is actually a little nicer than my full size M&P, but like you say there's always the Apex kit if you want to make it awesome.

See this for more options: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/handguns/51382-pocket-nines-visual-comparison.html

Oh... and Palmetto State Armory has Shields on sale for $360 right now. That is an outstanding deal.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... I'm getting rid of my Beretta Nano. ... I don't like the way it fits my hand. ...
    Just out of curiosity, does that statement apply to both the short and extended magazines? To me, the Nano feels like two completely different pistols depending on which magazine is inserted.

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    I bought my Nano before it came with the extended mag. All I have is two six round mags. Actually this whole pocket pistol thing without a full grip seem odd. The first thing people do with these loose pinky guns is install a grip extension. You'd think the manufacturers would figure out people generally prefer a full grip.

I was having second thought on getting rid of the Nano last night and fondled and played with it a bit. Nope, It's not the gun for me. My 2x hands just don't like it. It's a good pistol, just doesn't fit me.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I have a XD-S in .45ACP and love it. It's a tad big to be a "pocket pistol" unless you've got big pockets; but it's amazing how well a .45 that size can shoot!

Cheers! M2

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Big pockets is key, I'm 6'7" 300lbs and most of my pants have big pockets but even i have a few pairs that cause the gun to print to much for my likeing.Even tho you can't tell its a gun.You just have to dress around the gun.

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    The RAMI is a nice compact, but being a double stack it is not nearly compact as the XDs and Shield. The XDs and Shield are pushing the boundaries of pocket carry as it is; I just can't see the RAMI carrying well in a pocket.

XDs vs. Shield... That's a tough one and will really come down to personal preference. Both are great guns. The Shield's trigger is actually a little nicer than my full size M&P, but like you say there's always the Apex kit if you want to make it awesome.

See this for more options: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/handguns/51382-pocket-nines-visual-comparison.html

Oh... and Palmetto State Armory has Shields on sale for $360 right now. That is an outstanding deal.

Wow, Thanks for the heads up on Palmetto. That settled the argument. I ordered the Shield from Palmetto. Locally the Shield is going for $449, and $479 in a couple of gun shops. I owe you a beer and dinner.:D

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    Also... I decided to keep the Nano for when the Shield is too big for pocket carry. It still too small for my liking, but sometimes small is what is needed.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Pocket Pistol? Reduces the choices to a .380 Ruger/Keltech or the newer Sig P938 in 9mm. Or ... numerous .22LR - .25 Auto pistols.

Larger platforms ought to be carried in a holster. What about all the keys, coins, knives, and other stuff you normally put in pockets?

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    I just keep my rf pocket empty, and put keys in with my phone in my lf pocket. Or in a cargo pocket.

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    Pocket Pistol? Reduces the choices to a .380 Ruger/Keltech or the newer Sig P938 in 9mm. Or ... numerous .22LR - .25 Auto pistols.

Larger platforms ought to be carried in a holster. What about all the keys, coins, knives, and other stuff you normally put in pockets?

I agree. My Beretta Nano is as small as my S&W Body guard .380 I used to have. If anything the nano get lost in the pocket. I tried a couple of different pocket holsters before I found one that would keep is upright. Having said that, pocket carry makes for slow and cumbersome draw compared to IWB holsters. My thinking is you should pocket carry when it's the only option. Sigh, I wish I'd kept that Bodyguard .380. I really liked that gun.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Actually this whole pocket pistol thing without a full grip seem odd. The first thing people do with these loose pinky guns is install a grip extension. You'd think the manufacturers would figure out people generally prefer a full grip.
    I like short grips; super concealable. Only having about 1 and 3/4ths fingers on the grip feels odd at first, but you get used to it. They aren't going to jump out of you hand

Wow, Thanks for the heads up on Palmetto... I owe you a beer and dinner.
    icon14.png
    Since you're in Austin, you should come out to lunch with the group sometime.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    For a pure pocket pistol I like the Kahr PM9 (or the CM9 which costs less)
    It's high quality has a heavy but smooth trigger and is actually small enough for just about any pocket.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    .. pocket carry makes for slow and $#@!bersome draw compared to IWB holsters ..

(not speaking from experience..) but I doubt that an encounter with an evil doer will be a movie western's, middle of the street at high noon type of quick draw to settle an old score (?) just sayin'..

I like my sig 938, my Wife likes her sig 238

Last edited:

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    (not speaking from experience..) but I doubt that an encounter with an evil doer will be a movie western's, middle of the street at high noon type of quick draw to settle an old score (?) just sayin'..

I like my sig 938, my Wife likes her sig 238

I agree you can get used to pocket carry. I carried small revolvers, my S&W .380 and now my Nano. However, I do think you could find your self in a situation where a quick draw is important. I think you have to be able to draw and shoot within a couple of seconds. That's also why I carry a round in the chamber, so I can act fast if needed. But I think I'll pass on high noon duals. ;)

I considered replacing my Nano with a 938, but the cost was a bit much, so I bought a Shield. Haven't got it yet, but I'm getting ready. Bought 250 rounds yesterday to test it with.

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    For a pure pocket pistol I like the Kahr PM9 (or the CM9 which costs less)
    It's high quality has a heavy but smooth trigger and is actually small enough for just about any pocket.

My son carry's a Kahr. Not sure which model. He loves it. Says it's the best gun he's ever owned.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I carry a sig p238, it's great, Right front pocket carry every day.
    I have not tried IWB carry yet, I really need to try it with this pistol.
    I need to get a new holster for it.
    any recommendations?

Top Bottom