Which powder charge and scale dispenser ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    No clue on which powder dispenser and scale to get. I am leaning more towards the Smartreloader iSD Automatic Powder Scale & Dispenser but I have some doubts as reviews are 50/50. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
    Guns International

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I wouldn't touch that one personally.

I don't like the Lyman either.

The RCBS is a great dispenser (I owned two and both were great, only sold them because I had to downsize) but I am leaning toward the Hornady for my next dispenser (very soon) just because I drink the red Koolaid.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    By "dispenser", are you referring to the automated unit that trickles powder out until the desired charge weight is reached?

I use manual powder charge measures made by Dillon, RCBS and Lyman (the 55). I set the measure with the scale then take extraordinary steps to measure the powder exactly the same way every time and to minimize banging around on the bench. That banging/vibration packs the powder down in the measure and varies the charge weight.

If I had to pick ONE manual powder measure, it would be the Lyman 55. I have some adapters that allow me to use the Lyman 55 on my 550B presses but I use the Dillon automatic powder measure instead. The 55 has three separate chambers that can be set from coarse to medium and then a very fine adjustment. It is a very accurate measure.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/703838/lyman-55-powder-measure

Flash

Last edited:

FBOPMAN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I'm using the RCBS Chargemaster 1500. It put me back a bit in cash for it, but was well worth it. I have complete confidence in it and it works very well. Highly recommended.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Unless you are a high volume loader, it is far less expensive to stick with a manual powder measure and charge each case individually.

I've had good luck with RCBS and the much cheaper Lee "perfect powder measure."

For precision work, I still weigh every charge on a scale, then dump the powder into the case.

Example: Loaded 20 once fired Lake City 5.56 brass with 68 grain Hornady BTHP Match, primed with WSR, and 23.0 grains of AA2230 weighed individually.

At 100 yards, G.I. 62 grain M882 yielded 1 1/4" groups. The hand loads shot from the same rifle and rest gave 1/4" groups.

Intrigued by the results, I consulted the MILSPEC for M885 and the Army only demands 2 MOA at 200 meters for M885. Seems no one can center the "penetrator" perfectly inside the projectile. Hence the large tolerance for acceptable ammunition.

It is all about quantity or quality. If you can do both, go for it and GO BIG!

Stumpnav

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    PACT scale and dispenser. Very accurate, relatively fast and easy to use.

Bonus is they are made right here in The Great State of Texas!!

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    The RCBS chargemaster is the best in my opinion. I bought a Hornady to try it out but sold it. I think the RCBS is fast, consistent, and reliable. The Hornady was slower, the interface was not as well developed, and I didn't like the build quality. The RCBS can be completely customized using codes to adapt it to you specific needs, which is pretty great.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    I have enjoyed my RCBS ChargeMaster for about 10 years. No complaints. If the dispenser breaks, I still have a scale until I get a new dispenser. If the scale breaks, I only need to buy another scale (both assuming the repair might be as much as a new unit, but I have never looked into it). All-in-one means you lose it all at once.

Top Bottom