Gun Zone Deals

Which range let you collect your brass??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelhat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Like the title say I'm looking for a shooting range that let you collect your spent casings. I'm planing on getting into reloading to reduce ammo costs and would like to collect my brass after a shooting session.
    Gun Zone Deals

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Most ranges I've been to are ok with you picking up YOUR brass. However, they don't want you picking up gobs of everyone else's brass as they sell it themselves. Just remember, it is YOUR property until you leave. If you can, put something down to try to catch the majority of the spent brass. That tends to cut down on the feedback about picking up brass.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Where are you located?

We allow shooters to pick up their brass.....

jmho, but you don't save money by hand loading......you will get to shoot more for the same money though.....it is a worthwhile endeavor just for the experience if nothing else.....

Steelhat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    I was thinking of marking the casings with a sharpie prior to shooting. That way I'm sure it's my brass.

mk72

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Central Texas
    Just remember, it is YOUR property until you leave.

I wish certain ranges around me were like that....if it hits the floor it's like the seagulls from Finding Nemo "Mine!, Mine!, Mine!"

Brass catchers are you friend in there.

-Mark

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    people theiving brass when it hits the ground is BS.
    I was shooting my Garand at a public range years ago and was using my Greek mislurp. I got done and started looking for my brass and two old bastards were sitting there drinking coffee talking and I knew one of them shoots CMP matches

I ask them were my brass was and they said "oh, did you want that?"

yeah, I want it all back ..now

thats just rude behavior. I've had people come up and politely ask and I still tell them no, because I reload, but at least they ask first

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Where are you located?

We allow shooters to pick up their brass.....

jmho, but you don't save money by hand loading......you will get to shoot more for the same money though.....it is a worthwhile endeavor just for the experience if nothing else.....

Maybe you don't, but I sure do. I've been reloading for 17 yrs. now and depending upon what caliber you shoot, you can save a tremendous amount on ammo that is hard to get, and even if you're shooting common calibers, in most cases you can save anywhere from 50 to 75% off the average cost of new ammo.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Maybe you don't, but I sure do. I've been reloading for 17 yrs. now and depending upon what caliber you shoot, you can save a tremendous amount on ammo that is hard to get, and even if you're shooting common calibers, in most cases you can save anywhere from 50 to 75% off the average cost of new ammo.

Could be Charlie......you might be getting your supplies cheaper than I can........

I don't really shoot what I call hard to get calibers, But sure, I save some $$$ on the 6.5 Jap, 7.5X54, 6.5X52, 7.35X51, 45 Colt and 8X50R......common calibers like 9mm, 45 acp and .380, I don't really save that much per box.....

Casting your own bullets saves extra $$$, but I just don't have the spare time anymore.....

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    I just shoot beautiful brass cased berdan primed stuff for those people that just have to abscond with your brass. A few broken capping pins hopefully teaches them a bit of a lesson.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Could be Charlie......you might be getting your supplies cheaper than I can........

I don't really shoot what I call hard to get calibers, But sure, I save some $$$ on the 6.5 Jap, 7.5X54, 6.5X52, 7.35X51, 45 Colt and 8X50R......common calibers like 9mm, 45 acp and .380, I don't really save that much per box.....

Casting your own bullets saves extra $$$, but I just don't have the spare time anymore.....

I don't do any casting. Having reloaded for so long, all the equipment I bought years ago has certainly increased in price and since I bought a good amount of different types of powder years ago, I still have most of it. Primers and bullets (although I buy bullets in boxes of 500 or 1000 unless it's some "specialty" bullet I want to try out) are about the only thing I buy now. Lots of non reloader friends save their cases for me. When reloading for .45ACP, .223, or 7.62x39 I "may" have to buy primers. The accumulation over the years helps a lot.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've never had the unpleasant experience of ranges hassling me for picking up brass. If one did, I'd never go back. When you're shooting a semi-auto, how in the heck would you know if it's "your" brass. I shoot some oddball rounds, re-load them and I treasure every case. I save quite a bit of $$ on rounds like .357 mags. Stuff like 9mm I just re-load for the fun of it, definitely not a big dollar saver on those but when the supply dries up like a couple of years ago, good skill to have in your back pocket.

Steelhat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    I'm planing to reload .357SIG. Gonna start with 9mm and .40 to get the basics down and then advance to .357SIG. With .357SIG running around $30 per 50 rounds on target rounds I'm sure I can safe some when I reload. And even If I shoot more for the same amount of money, that's even better - more fun for less $$$. :D

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014

Listen, not all of us were able to take our horse and buggy to the general store and buy reloading equipment...

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I wish certain ranges around me were like that....if it hits the floor it's like the seagulls from Finding Nemo "Mine!, Mine!, Mine!"

Brass catchers are you friend in there.

-Mark
    I know they like to think that (and why I suggest a tarp or something feasible to catch the brass), and it may even be in their "rules", but I equate it to what if I were to drop something else on the floor? Does it automatically become there's? No, so why would the brass automatically become there's? It's a blanket rule to try to keep down on picking up ALL the brass on the range.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I've never had the unpleasant experience of ranges hassling me for picking up brass. If one did, I'd never go back. When you're shooting a semi-auto, how in the heck would you know if it's "your" brass. I shoot some oddball rounds, re-load them and I treasure every case. I save quite a bit of $$ on rounds like .357 mags. Stuff like 9mm I just re-load for the fun of it, definitely not a big dollar saver on those but when the supply dries up like a couple of years ago, good skill to have in your back pocket.

Don't be the guy who, every several minutes, sweeps up brass from the lanes around him and tries to keep it, and most ranges woon't bother you. lol I've seen guys spend more time picking up brass than shooting.

Top Bottom