• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabelthebagel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2020
    US
    Finnish mosins are great bolt actions if you can find them decently priced either an m39 or the m27s or m28s really nice rifles and ammo is available 7.62x54r

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Guns International

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I find the variety of suggestions amazing since the OP specified he wanted a wood-stocked, bolt action (post #1) chambered in .22LR (post #28).

Did the OP change that? Did I miss something?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    A Savage mkii with a Boyds stock and a heavy or heavy sport barrel will absolutely not disappoint you. Inexpensive and more than acceptable accuracy Out to 100 yds or more. And capable of lasting many years if taken care of.
    And it s a bolt.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    benenglish,

Pardon me for stating the OBVIOUS: MOST members have NOT read 9 pages of STUFF before posting their thoughts.

Thus your complaint is absent real value.

yours, satx

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I find the variety of suggestions amazing since the OP specified he wanted a wood-stocked, bolt action (post #1) chambered in .22LR (post #28).

Did the OP change that? Did I miss something?

You have a point, and I'm not accusing OP of this, but a lot of people when picking out their first whatever, dismiss things out of hand, for a wide variety of reasons.

Sometimes it helps to come out of left field.

And given what OP has told us, a ruger PCC, or 10/22 takedown, or even an AR would be a better choice for him based on the fact a wood stocked bolt .22 isn't as easy to transport on a bike

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I love the 10/22. However, my first rifle was a bolt action .22 with a 5 round mag. The bullet restriction taught me to shoot and not just blast. I would recommend a .22 bolt. Mine is a Stevens, but I don’t think you can get them any longer.

aussamdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2019
    South of Houston
    Look at the Remington 500 series like the 510. 511, 512, 513. They are 22lr bolt action one at a time. Built in the 50’s and 60’s. Used to be $75 long guns in pawn shops. I don’t know what they are now. I still shoot mine. Much fun and economy minded.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Get a 270 Savage 110 in woodgrain if you want it such. Why? Because I have a savage 110 270 for those "long range shots" from my patrol car.
    Not as good as the old Remington 700 I grew up hunting with, but I still like it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Not sure how I missed this, but;
    C0907309-B598-413D-BF17-D21EC337D34C.gif

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    You've said you want a wood-stocked bolt rifle. Your thinking has evolved to the point that you think a .22 is good for a start.

If you're holding on to all those parameters, we only need to know your budget. (ETA - You also need to figure out a budget for sighting equipment.)

If you don't have a budget and still want a production rifle, get an Anschutz 1727 F AV HB. It'll cost you north of $4,000.00 but you'll never need another .22 bolt action rifle unless you get into some specific sport. Yeah, Cooper makes some rifles that are definitely prettier but they're more expensive and I strongly doubt they're more accurate. You can't go wrong with either brand.

If you do have a budget, it's possible to start very, very inexpensively. I'd be thinking Marlin, Savage, and CZ but since I have no experience in that market, I'll leave it up to others to make recommendations. If you're interested in a used target rifle, The List is always informative. The List is actually several lists; the one you want is here.

Congrats to the OP for wanting his first rifle to be a sensible bit of kit that he'll never feel the need to sell. If he chooses wisely, his great-great-grandchildren will be using the rifle he buys.

Sigh, I started out life with an Anschutz .22LR bolt action. A "war trophy" an elderly Alsatian had given my late Dad. Beautiful little rifle, but it had NO "SAFETY" !

I'd say to begin with a .22LR, check:

leVieux

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Get a 270 Savage 110 in woodgrain if you want it such. Why? Because I have a savage 110 270 for those "long range shots" from my patrol car.
    Not as good as the old Remington 700 I grew up hunting with, but I still like it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Pics?

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Ive owned a Glock 19 for about a month. It rules.

Next, I want a rifle. Specifically I want a wooden looking, bolt action one-at-a-time style shooter. That old WW2 look. Quick google search, the Mauser, or Carcano (dont want a carcano because of the whole Oswald connotation.)

I don't know a ton about guns, but Im slowly learning. What do you guys suggest in terms of the style, price, caliber etc?

THANKS!
    YOU my friend are in nirvana moment! Almost impossible to make a poor choice! If any of the WWII era rifles you find are in good condition they will PERFORM!. Look and handle many then select the one which sings to you. My favs ( no better than anyone else) for targets and deer is the 6.5 Swedish 1896 Mauser, Elk and bear- the Persian 8x57 Mauser or the 30.06 Springfield- just a world of pre1950 fabulous firearms and almost ALL are wonderful. I hunt with a realitive NEW 1954 Mannlicher Schonauer .308
    Every firearm mentioned above by other TGT guys are excellent choices-Just like a puppy, if you care for it and practice with it a quality firearm will partner you for life.

Last edited:

Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    Pics?

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

None. It was a snarky comment based off another “conversation” where people demanded to know more than they were privileged to, because they assumed I needed to prove them wrong.

I like my .270 rifle. Can be had for a lower end price. Trigger is nice and it does what I need. I recommend it based on that alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    None. It was a snarky comment based off another “conversation” where people demanded to know more than they were privileged to, because they assumed I needed to prove them wrong.

I like my .270 rifle. Can be had for a lower end price. Trigger is nice and it does what I need. I recommend it based on that alone.

Reading some of your past posts, you kind of put yourself into that position with some of your comments. Then you try to go off "holier than thou" on anyone who questions your comments.

Here's bit of advice, or a suggestion. If you down't want to be questioned or challenged on the thing you post on a forum, maybe keep them to yourself in the first place. I'd also suggest growing a bit thicker hide as well, and grow up some.

Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    Reading some of your past posts, you kind of put yourself into that position with some of your comments. Then you try to go off "holier than thou" on anyone who questions your comments.

Here's bit of advice, or a suggestion. If you down't want to be questioned or challenged on the thing you post on a forum, maybe keep them to yourself in the first place. I'd also suggest growing a bit thicker hide as well, and grow up some.

What the man who was called a traitor experienced was similar to what I recently experienced, and probably for the same reason. He did nothing wrong, but I suppose he stepped out of line by wearing that shirt, just as I did by refusing to comply with the mob. I lost a few friends over that but god opened my eyes as to who were true and pure too, so no loss.

So you guys are trolling up all my posts (grow up?). Maybe we just got off on the wrong foot, but I don’t believe I’ve ever made a misstep here. Just a bunch of grownups acting like grownups giving advice where it wasn’t needed when a real need was there.

That other thing, I was asking for advice and I really needed it. In fact, it was a dire need, but that was the response I got. If you read that and have anything to say to me for your wrong, then again, the problem still is very much you and I’ll keep my faith in a just God intact, but you can call it what you wish.

Turns out that kind of violence I was referring to was seasonal and I supposed that’s just how it was all the time. Also turns out it’s worse this year, so when a fresh out of academy cop says he’s experiencing a lot and he needs help, then just help. He may have just experienced something that changed him a little and he’s trying to figure out how he needs to go forward from it. Yes I used the wrong word, but I had just gone through an entire active shooter week...

I’m not going to judge the whole group, but that was crap. All of it.

Thick skin? Me and my FTO were literally laughing at you people.

You guys could learn more from that than me.

Good day.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    What the man who was called a traitor experienced was similar to what I recently experienced, and probably for the same reason. He did nothing wrong, but I suppose he stepped out of line by wearing that shirt, just as I did by refusing to comply with the mob. I lost a few friends over that but god opened my eyes as to who were true and pure too, so no loss.

So you guys are trolling up all my posts (grow up?). Maybe we just got off on the wrong foot, but I don’t believe I’ve ever made a misstep here. Just a bunch of grownups acting like grownups giving advice where it wasn’t needed when a real need was there.

That other thing, I was asking for advice and I really needed it. In fact, it was a dire need, but that was the response I got. If you read that and have anything to say to me for your wrong, then again, the problem still is very much you and I’ll keep my faith in a just God intact, but you can call it what you wish.

Turns out that kind of violence I was referring to was seasonal and I supposed that’s just how it was all the time. Also turns out it’s worse this year, so when a fresh out of academy cop says he’s experiencing a lot and he needs help, then just help. He may have just experienced something that changed him a little and he’s trying to figure out how he needs to go forward from it. Yes I used the wrong word, but I had just gone through an entire active shooter week...

I’m not going to judge the whole group, but that was crap. All of it.

Thick skin? Me and my FTO were literally laughing at you people.

You guys could learn more from that than me.

Good day.

What? Again with the "holier than thou" nonesense!

Your experience was nothing like the OP's experience.

BTW, I'm sure Gecko45 is looking for a new partner to guard the malls of America!

When I read your posts, my BS meter goes off the scale. I don't know for a fact, but somehow, I seriously doubt you are in LE.

Top Bottom