• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In my experience cats don't seem to go down as easily as some other animals. No experience with big cats though.

If I were to run I. To something dangerous it would most likely be a hog or pack of hogs. For that I would say .45 ACP is the absolute minimum. If a bag is charging you he is coming at you armored side first. Either be a damned good shot with your .45 or revolver or pepper the shit out of him with 9mm an hope he divides to back off.

I would be carrying FMJ in whatever I chose to use.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    I would be carrying FMJ in whatever I chose to use.
    +1
    I'd like to find some +P .45 FMJ — guess I'll have to load my own.
    It's counterintuitive to use a less-powerful FMJ while hog hunting, but I'd rather have that penetration than an expanding round that doesn't make it to the organs.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    If it gets to the point where you think you are in a life or death hunting situation then a potential handgun malfunction is not worth it. 454 ruger casull would be my option.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    If it gets to the point where you think you are in a life or death hunting situation then a potential handgun malfunction is not worth it. 454 ruger casull would be my option.
    I think every handgun situation is life or death. :SHRUGS? That's why I carry the uber-reliable M&P every day and the world-renowned leader in dependability Glock when I hunt :D.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

How is that different from everyday? That seems to be the old argument that semi-autos are unreliable and will jamb at the worst possible time. Funny how it's is very seldom you see one carried on a duty rig anymore. While I do get a bit more dirty when I am in the woods than when I go to the local grocery store, it's not like I am coated and mud is in every crack and crevice.

If you are confident enough to carry a 10mm Glock in other situations, it should be good enough to carry in the woods.

Last edited:

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I am more afraid of a pissed off wounded bear than someone with a gun....just one of my little quirks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Carried a 45ACP in several hosts.

But I moved to a 4" Model 29 Smith. The flash and sound alone will act as a flash-bang for any of God's creatures.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    +1
    I'd like to find some +P .45 FMJ — guess I'll have to load my own.
    It's counterintuitive to use a less-powerful FMJ while hog hunting, but I'd rather have that penetration than an expanding round that doesn't make it to the organs.

Hm. I tend to carry JHP in case of other critters and hadn't considered this issue with hogs...seems like FMJ wouldn't be a good choice for cougars or coyotes, though. Figure multiple JHP's to the skull would be at all effective on a hog?

Reelthrill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Round Rock
    I carry the Sig 1911 .45 when I am out there. My friend has a S&W Governor loaded with a mix of 410 and 45ACP. Another guy on the lease brings his HK45.

We have some big pigs out there. If you have a 300lb wild pig charging you, you are going to have to go for the head. I don't think many handgun rounds would penetrate their shoulder armor on something that big. But if he/she is charging you, it has to be a head shot.

Last edited:

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    I pig's brain is a very small target. What if you miss? I'll take my chances with the FMJ.

boar-vitals-bowhunting.jpg

Reelthrill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Round Rock
    I completely agree the brain is a small target. I was thinking along the lines of the OP question. If you are hunting and in a self defense situation, chances are you are on the ground (walking to a feeder, a kill, your blind, the truck, whatever) and a big animal has decided to fight you rather than run. If that is the case, you will only have the head to shoot at. I don't know of any animal that is going to attack you and give you broadside shot. I have hollow points in my guns out there.

So to the OP, I recommend that you pick the largest caliber you are accurate with and the ammo you are comfortable with. In my years of hunting, I have never had anything charge me...and I hope I never do. Damn rattlesnakes scare the shiat out of me, but even they slither away if I give them space.

Off topic, when we are sitting in the blinds pig hunting, we wait until we get several of them in the feeder pen, and then start taking shots. I use a .308, my hunting buddy uses a 30-06 and another guy we hang out with uses a 7MM Mag. We also have a hog trap that when we are using, we walk up and dispatch whatever is in there. Dragging them out is a PITA though.

Man am I ready to get back out to the lease.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I know my chief concern is stumbling upon a few hogs while hiking - particularly if my kids are with me. I typically carry my 1911 with me loaded with JHP's...and I'm fully willing to unload all eight rounds into (or, let's be honest about stress - in the general vicinity of) a hog's cranium if that's what it takes. Hell, if I've got time, I'll reload and do it again!

Guess I'd better start working on hitting extremely small targets with little or no time to aim...

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I bring a 9mm with hp or fmj just depends how broke i am. I have sold off all other pistol calibers and use 9mm exclusively now. I can carry more rounds in less magazines and still have a lot of power that meets or exceeds the performance of the others i used to carry.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom