• ...and so much more!
  • DarkRook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2008
    East Houston Area
    Wife at the range

HK,

I showed my wife the two video’s because in the past she has had this problem with holding an auto and it not cycling correctly every time. Due to this her house gun is a 357 snub with 38’s in it. She blows deadly holes in silhouette with it. But after I showed her the video she did better with an auto. She does not like recoil or kick at all.

I also found that when I used the grip shown in the video, my shot groups where better with my HK 45 as if I were shooting a 9mm, 38spc, or a 380. This was even when shooting rapid fire or fast. So thanks again for posting them.

Also while at the range I convinced my wife to shoot my AR15 at least once. After she did. She wanted to shoot it some more. Then later stated she liked shooting it most of all. She said it was like shooting a 22, even though it was much louder.:cool:
    Texas SOT

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here's another decent video:

Like I've probably said before, there are tons of different techniques. Everyone is different and some techniques work better than others, and some work differently for different people. The thumbs forward grip and thumb over thumb grips seem to be the 2 most common grip methods. I would say have her try both and see what she finds more comfortable.

DarkRook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2008
    East Houston Area

Like I've probably said before, there are tons of different techniques. Everyone is different and some techniques work better than others, and some work differently for different people. The thumbs forward grip and thumb over thumb grips seem to be the 2 most common grip methods. I would say have her try both and see what she finds more comfortable.

Just watched it. It is a good one too. As for her grip, I did that when I took her to the range, and she liked the thumb forward grip. But she will have to get use to it.

I am going to be getting my CHL soon. Don't know when for sure yet, but soon. Wanted to know what holster you like or think are good ones for the HK USP 45. What do you think about the plastic BH form fit ones?

If

DarkRook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2008
    East Houston Area

Just watched it. It is a good one too. As for her grip, I did that when I took her to the range, and she liked the thumb forward grip. But she will have to get use to it.

I am going to be getting my CHL soon. Don't know when for sure yet, but soon. Wanted to know what holster you like or think are good ones for the HK USP 45. What do you think about the plastic BH form fit ones?

If you have any other video's on grip and shooting, send them to me please. This guy stated a grip for revolvers video. I going to look for it now.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The thing I am slowly learning about the thumbs forward grip is that the real power comes from the support hand. Basically how it works from my understanding is your primary grip force comes from the support hand, while the strong hand does very little except for pull the trigger. I hear lots of numbers thrown around like 60/40, 50/50, etc etc but, for the most part I think everyone really has to experiment with it themselves until they find just the right feel and balance. I'm still experimenting with this a bit but, I have noticed that gripping in this manner just right can reduce muzzle flip so that the recoil is more straight back then up and down. It's a fine balance to say the least. ;)

One other recommendation about the thumbs forward grip. I've noticed that doing it in the "correct" (or most effective) manner has you basically canting your support hand wrist all the way forward so that it is inline with the gun. It is my understanding that the technical reason for this is it brings different forearm muscles into play with helping to control recoil, and it also has the added benefit of resistance from the "locked" wrist position. Canting your wrist this much can be uncomfortable for some. It's a little uncomfortable to me. One thing I've noticed is that you really don't have to cant your wrist quite that much if you don't want to. Yes, you may not be squeezing that last little bit of recoil control out of your wrist and hand but, for most purposes it's probably not that big of a deal. There is plenty of room to adjust the level of cant anywhere between the fully wrist locked forward position to just before the thumb over thumb position. If you think about it, there is nearly a 90 degree range of motion between those 2 points that you can experiment with. For me personally, when I'm just target shooting for fun and not too concerned about pure performance, I usually cant my wrist somewhere in between. The best I can think to describe it is if the wrist locked forward was 90 degrees, my wrist would be about 45 to 60 degrees. This allows you to get some of the benefits of the thumbs forward grip by still fully encompassing it. And it's a bit easier on the wrist. The downside is a bit more/higher muzzle flip compared to the wrist fully locked forward and gripping in the "proper" manner. If there is one thing I've learned it's that, due to the varying body mechanics in every individual, no one technique is fully right or the "best" and you really have to experiment with a lot of them to find the perfect "middle" for yourself.

This is the level of cant I currently use most of the time:

10.png

I'm sure it's not quite enough to get the full benefits of that method, though it's more comfortable and works well enough for me at the moment. I constantly experiment though and it seems you can find something new every day when it comes to handguns and learning to shoot them. ;)

DarkRook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2008
    East Houston Area
    I watched the first two video’s again right before I left for the range and handled a gun copying the grip and at the same time showing my wife. When I started shooting at the range, I was adjusting my grip to do as was done in the video at the rate of one round to get the feel. I found and adjusted to a good grip for the flip and recoil. Then loaded up again with 3 full 12 round mags, I then emptied them and fast mag changed. Several persons on the range stopped and wanted to know what I was shooting and how I was shooting so fast. You ever been to Pasadena Gun Center? They have concrete wall dividers, but everyone saw my target and where my shot placement was. So I showed a few the grip I was using. My wife was like getting bored with all the talk stuff. She did state that it was pretty cool when I did it. I really need to take her with me to shoot more often. After this trip I found out that it makes her really horny. Lol. :cool:

Top Bottom