• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'm going to get a Streamlight Stinger and I was thinking about the DS (dual switch) or just the regular Stinger. Or maybe the Stinger LED? I'm going to be carrying it on duty with my gun belt and I want something smaller than the 3-D cell Mag light that I normally carry. Any one that is a Security officer or LEO have any recommendations on these?
    ARJ Defense ad

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    those are great lights and are pretty durable. i would go with the led version if you are going to be using it alot. the batter life is worth not being able to throw the light as far. if i was you though, i would look into fenix, nitecore, quark, and surefire lights too. the surefires are pretty expensive as im sure you know, but you really do get what you pay for when it comes to lights.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Well. I'm looking to replace the 3-D cell mag light I carry on duty at night time right now, so it has to be a good general purpose light as well as be fairly easy to use with a gun in my other hand. I'm leaning toward the gas filled bi pin bulb (on the XT) because it should cut threw smoke better than an LED light. As a security officers duty's usually include getting everyone safely out of a building in an emergency situation like a fire I would like to know that the firefighters can see my light better if I should become trapped in the carry out of such duties. And the strobe is from what I understand from LEO's and other firearms instructors mostly useless and another button to press in a stressful situation where fine motor skills are rarely at their best. The light also has to be reasonably shock resistant for use with tactical shooting techniques. Only thing worse than a miss is a miss and then the lights go out and you're both armed and blind. So I'm leaning toward the XT, I think. My friends and my wife say I change my mind like a woman.

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    Well. I'm looking to replace the 3-D cell mag light I carry on duty at night time right now, so it has to be a good general purpose light as well as be fairly easy to use with a gun in my other hand. I'm leaning toward the gas filled bi pin bulb (on the XT) because it should cut threw smoke better than an LED light. As a security officers duty's usually include getting everyone safely out of a building in an emergency situation like a fire I would like to know that the firefighters can see my light better if I should become trapped in the carry out of such duties. And the strobe is from what I understand from LEO's and other firearms instructors mostly useless and another button to press in a stressful situation where fine motor skills are rarely at their best. The light also has to be reasonably shock resistant for use with tactical shooting techniques. Only thing worse than a miss is a miss and then the lights go out and you're both armed and blind. So I'm leaning toward the XT, I think. My friends and my wife say I change my mind like a woman.

do you want something thats about the same size as the mag? or would a smaller light work too?

heres a site to check out if you really want to find a great light
    CandlePowerForums

heres a few lights i found that might work for you
    http://www.surefire.com/8NX-Commander

http://streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=152

http://streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=159

http://streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=33

http://www.surefire.com/G3L

http://www.surefire.com/G2Z-LED-CombatLight

http://www.surefire.com/6PDL

I almost forgot about Inova lights. they make some great duty lights that are very durable.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Stinger is alright, out of your options I'd go with an LED. But to be honest, I'd think about going with a light that has a better rechargeable battery - IMO the Stinger's Achilles heel is its NiCad battery packs. I use a Stinger at work, and always have two batteries and use the piggyback charger. As long as you don't recharge before they need it (too often) and remember to drop the batteries to completely dead once in a while (I do that once a month... or so), they'll last longer.

Then again, it doesn't look like any of the rechargeables have decided to go with a better battery technology yet.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I need a light that has parts and holsters widely available as it will be going on my duty belt. and there just so many different officers that carry stingers that the chargers are everywhere. You're right the batteries have had some issues just look at the disclaimer on the bottom of the page on all those. LOL!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    O and the scorpion is not rechargeable and neither are most of the sure fires and poly lights. And they are hard to find holsters for on the duty belt.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've got one battery for my Stinger that dates back to 06, so if you take care of the batteries by not just sticking the flashlight on a charger every night, no matter the condition of the battery, it'll last a lot longer. NiCad only has so many recharges before it dies, but it seems to me that battery "memory" is the biggest danger with this kind of setup.

Then again, I work twenty feet from my spare battery and a charger... so when my battery gets weak I can just swap it out. You'll have to find a way to drain the battery daily or something.

rgriffin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dallas
    I've used the Stinger line of light for the last 8 years and they have all performed well (I still have the first one I bought). I have recently switched to the LED Strion. Battery life is excellent and it can ride on a belt for weeks without having to be recharged. Great light in my opinion, for what that's worth.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah I'm going to buy from the store I don't trust buying things on line.
    Sage you are right I would have to drain the battery every night but I shouldn't have a problem with that as I'm always using a flashlight for something. LOL!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I think I own or have owned every light mentioned in this thread at on time or another...
    Once you get anything from Streamlight or Surefire you will throw rocks at that Maglight.

Not sure who advised you on the strobe option, but I wouldn't buy another flashlight without it. And LED technology is definately the way to go. Most of those compact lights can use the same holster. I have a STRION, and a SCORPION that use the same holster.

Top Bottom