Which "tactical" .22lr should I get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

  • Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SA Justin

    Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    183
    1
    99% of the reason I'm considering these two options is just looking for something fun to plink at the range with. Something that the Mrs can have fun with and learn on too. The other 1% is because I'd want my wife to have access to something "scary" looking in a teotwawki situation. Silly I know, but there you have it....

    M&P 15-22:
    S&W M&P15-22 Semi Auto Rifle .22 LR 16" Barrel 25 Rounds Magpul MOE Grip Black and Faded Dark Earth Finish 811035

    Pros:
    Will sorta teach my wife the ar battery of arms.
    Good practice rifle? (If ammo ever normalizes)
    Looks similar to my ar.
    Reliable and accurate according to the interwebs.
    I trust S&W.

    Cons:
    Expensive for a .22lr IMO.
    I know it's polymer, but it might still be too heavy for the Mrs.

    GSG 522 SD
    GSG-522 SD Semi Automatic Rifle .22 Long Rifle 16.25" Barrel with Fake Suppressor 22 Rounds Synthetic Stock Black Finish 522SDLB22

    Pros:
    Looks cool. :)
    My 4'11" wife might like the relatively smaller size.

    Cons:
    Not too sure about reliability or accuracy.
    Fake suppressor is kinda nerdy.
     

    ArmyZach

    Active Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    894
    21
    Joshua
    I would vote for the M&P, primarily because it would be good training for the AR platform. But man, is that expensive - I would look at some other options before plunking down that much cash.

    Sent from my AN/PRC-77 using Tapatalk.
     

    Dawico

    Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    36,620
    96
    Lampasas, Texas
    The S&W is a good gun. I have no experience with the other.

    Have you looked at Ruger's 10/22 tactical guns? They make an AR style 10/22 also. I bring them up because they are unbeatable as far as reliability and aftermarket supplies. Loading a ton of mags is a pain without some kind of speedloader and there are a few for the 10/22. Plus with some easy part swapping you can turn a 10/22 into almost any configuration you can imagine. Extra mags are readily available also.
     

    jcrntx

    Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    1,271
    31
    San Antonio, TX
    I would recommend the m&p as well. It is pricey but well worth the $$. The gun I enjoy shooting the most out of what I own, tons of fun. I take it fron your name you are in SA. Be happy to meet up at the bullethole on the nw side to let yall try mine out before you buy if you like!
     

    SA Justin

    Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    183
    1
    Sounds like quite a few votes for the M&P. Kinda what I was leaning toward as well. Anybody have any experience with the mp5 knock off?
     

    TheDan

    deplorable malconent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    23,164
    96
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have a GSG-5; it's a lot of fun but I vote for none of the above. Get a 10/22, a tacticool stock, and several BX-25 mags ;)
     
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    60
    1
    The S&W is a good gun. I have no experience with the other.

    Have you looked at Ruger's 10/22 tactical guns? They make an AR style 10/22 also. I bring them up because they are unbeatable as far as reliability and aftermarket supplies. Loading a ton of mags is a pain without some kind of speedloader and there are a few for the 10/22. Plus with some easy part swapping you can turn a 10/22 into almost any configuration you can imagine. Extra mags are readily available also.

    I second this. The 10/22 is the most modifiable gun next to the AR
     
    Top Bottom