Which "tactical" .22lr should I get?

SA Justin

Apr 25, 2013
99% of the reason I'm considering these two options is just looking for something fun to plink at the range with. Something that the Mrs can have fun with and learn on too. The other 1% is because I'd want my wife to have access to something "scary" looking in a teotwawki situation. Silly I know, but there you have it....

M&P 15-22:
S&W M&P15-22 Semi Auto Rifle .22 LR 16" Barrel 25 Rounds Magpul MOE Grip Black and Faded Dark Earth Finish 811035

Pros:
Will sorta teach my wife the ar battery of arms.
Good practice rifle? (If ammo ever normalizes)
Looks similar to my ar.
Reliable and accurate according to the interwebs.
I trust S&W.

Cons:
Expensive for a .22lr IMO.
I know it's polymer, but it might still be too heavy for the Mrs.

GSG 522 SD
GSG-522 SD Semi Automatic Rifle .22 Long Rifle 16.25" Barrel with Fake Suppressor 22 Rounds Synthetic Stock Black Finish 522SDLB22

Pros:
Looks cool. :)
My 4'11" wife might like the relatively smaller size.

Cons:
Not too sure about reliability or accuracy.
Fake suppressor is kinda nerdy.

ArmyZach

Aug 21, 2013
Joshua
I would vote for the M&P, primarily because it would be good training for the AR platform. But man, is that expensive - I would look at some other options before plunking down that much cash.

Sent from my AN/PRC-77 using Tapatalk.

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
The S&W is a good gun. I have no experience with the other.

Have you looked at Ruger's 10/22 tactical guns? They make an AR style 10/22 also. I bring them up because they are unbeatable as far as reliability and aftermarket supplies. Loading a ton of mags is a pain without some kind of speedloader and there are a few for the 10/22. Plus with some easy part swapping you can turn a 10/22 into almost any configuration you can imagine. Extra mags are readily available also.

jcrntx

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
May 21, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I would recommend the m&p as well. It is pricey but well worth the $$. The gun I enjoy shooting the most out of what I own, tons of fun. I take it fron your name you are in SA. Be happy to meet up at the bullethole on the nw side to let yall try mine out before you buy if you like!

SA Justin

Apr 25, 2013
Sounds like quite a few votes for the M&P. Kinda what I was leaning toward as well. Anybody have any experience with the mp5 knock off?

TheDan

4th Best Member
TGT Supporter
Nov 11, 2008
Austin - Rockdale
I have a GSG-5; it's a lot of fun but I vote for none of the above. Get a 10/22, a tacticool stock, and several BX-25 mags ;)

Apr 16, 2013
The S&W is a good gun. I have no experience with the other.

Have you looked at Ruger's 10/22 tactical guns? They make an AR style 10/22 also. I bring them up because they are unbeatable as far as reliability and aftermarket supplies. Loading a ton of mags is a pain without some kind of speedloader and there are a few for the 10/22. Plus with some easy part swapping you can turn a 10/22 into almost any configuration you can imagine. Extra mags are readily available also.
I second this. The 10/22 is the most modifiable gun next to the AR

Das Jared

TGT Addict
Jul 20, 2012
Friendswood
10/22

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom