• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SA Justin

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    99% of the reason I'm considering these two options is just looking for something fun to plink at the range with. Something that the Mrs can have fun with and learn on too. The other 1% is because I'd want my wife to have access to something "scary" looking in a teotwawki situation. Silly I know, but there you have it....

M&P 15-22:
    S&W M&P15-22 Semi Auto Rifle .22 LR 16" Barrel 25 Rounds Magpul MOE Grip Black and Faded Dark Earth Finish 811035

Pros:
    Will sorta teach my wife the ar battery of arms.
    Good practice rifle? (If ammo ever normalizes)
    Looks similar to my ar.
    Reliable and accurate according to the interwebs.
    I trust S&W.

Cons:
    Expensive for a .22lr IMO.
    I know it's polymer, but it might still be too heavy for the Mrs.

GSG 522 SD
    GSG-522 SD Semi Automatic Rifle .22 Long Rifle 16.25" Barrel with Fake Suppressor 22 Rounds Synthetic Stock Black Finish 522SDLB22

Pros:
    Looks cool. :)
    My 4'11" wife might like the relatively smaller size.

Cons:
    Not too sure about reliability or accuracy.
    Fake suppressor is kinda nerdy.
    DK Firearms

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    I would vote for the M&P, primarily because it would be good training for the AR platform. But man, is that expensive - I would look at some other options before plunking down that much cash.

Sent from my AN/PRC-77 using Tapatalk.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The S&W is a good gun. I have no experience with the other.

Have you looked at Ruger's 10/22 tactical guns? They make an AR style 10/22 also. I bring them up because they are unbeatable as far as reliability and aftermarket supplies. Loading a ton of mags is a pain without some kind of speedloader and there are a few for the 10/22. Plus with some easy part swapping you can turn a 10/22 into almost any configuration you can imagine. Extra mags are readily available also.

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I would recommend the m&p as well. It is pricey but well worth the $$. The gun I enjoy shooting the most out of what I own, tons of fun. I take it fron your name you are in SA. Be happy to meet up at the bullethole on the nw side to let yall try mine out before you buy if you like!

SA Justin

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Sounds like quite a few votes for the M&P. Kinda what I was leaning toward as well. Anybody have any experience with the mp5 knock off?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have a GSG-5; it's a lot of fun but I vote for none of the above. Get a 10/22, a tacticool stock, and several BX-25 mags ;)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    The S&W is a good gun. I have no experience with the other.

Have you looked at Ruger's 10/22 tactical guns? They make an AR style 10/22 also. I bring them up because they are unbeatable as far as reliability and aftermarket supplies. Loading a ton of mags is a pain without some kind of speedloader and there are a few for the 10/22. Plus with some easy part swapping you can turn a 10/22 into almost any configuration you can imagine. Extra mags are readily available also.

I second this. The 10/22 is the most modifiable gun next to the AR

SA Justin

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Get a 10/22, customize it, thank me later.

Gotcha. I'm just not interested in another 10/22. Thing is, if I were going to customize a 10/22 for this application, I would want it to function and look like the M&P (the one from the link with all the magpul stuff). I might as well get the M&P in that case.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I have had a M&P 15-22 for a few years and robably run 15K rounds through. No issues or concerns.
    The wife liked it so much, I bought her one of those pink cammo versions and she's put close to 10K rounds through it.

A lot of the cost associated with the link above is all the Magpul furniture which is absolutely unnecessary on this platform.
    take the $125 extra and buy some decent 22 specific optics

10/22 vs 15-22 ... no doubt the Ruger is a great and proven reliable platform. But my Ruger sat in the safe because both the wife and I chose the 15-22s when it came to a range visit. No tangible reason for it.

SA Justin

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    A lot of the cost associated with the link above is all the Magpul furniture which is absolutely unnecessary on this platform.
    take the $125 extra and buy some decent 22 specific optics

You're right. Definitely unnecessary but I'm a sucker for Magpul fde furniture and would probably put it on eventually anyway.

I don't have a specific optic in mind yet, but I was planning to throw a Sightmark reflex sight with a Sightmark magnifier on there. What optics do you run on yours?

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Good advice on the 15-22, especially since weight is a concern.

The GSG isn't a horrible gun, but the two I had were not the most durable design, much like the Walther G22, they work but use a lot of alloy parts in the action and are held together by screws that have a bad rep for not staying secure.

If weight weren't an issue the other "tactic-cool" .22 I'd suggest is the Sig 522.

The CMMG Quebec-A is an awesome AR in .22, but again, it weighs a good bit more than the S&W.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    You're right. Definitely unnecessary but I'm a sucker for Magpul fde furniture and would probably put it on eventually anyway.

I don't have a specific optic in mind yet, but I was planning to throw a Sightmark reflex sight with a Sightmark magnifier on there. What optics do you run on yours?

LOL ... well there you go.

My 15-22 has open sights.
    The wife's has a Nikon Pro-Staff Rimfire 3-9x40

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The Colt M-4 made by Walther of Germany and marketed by UMAREX is an exact replica of the M-4 platform. It is dead nuts accurate with CCI Mini Mags, and can be adjusted for different brands of .22LR ammo (hex tool included).

Mine came with a front sight that I could not adjust to 50 yards. Called UMAREX and they sent me a 50-yard front sight at no cost -- the rifle came from the factory with a 100-yard front sight. Just shows how much confidence Walther has in their guns.

Great gun backed with solid customer service.

Not a single person who saw my carbine at the range thought it was a .22LR -- they thought I put a conversion kit on a real Colt M-4.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom