Gun Zone Deals

Whiskey, Bourbon drinkers....leave the Scotch out of it. ;)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Firestone Distillery makes TX Blended and I think they make a TX Bourbon. I found that bottle of Buffalo Trace last week. BT is getting hard to find now.

It’s not texas whiskey but I grabbed a bottle of Elijah Craig last night on the way home but didn’t get a chance to try it yet.
    Texas SOT

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Bulleit is my go-to. Reasonable price, not sweet, not oakey or smokey.

Stopped at Costco yesterday and they were out. I don't care for Jim and even less for Jack.

Like the idea of Balcones (Texas made) but not much of a fan (too sweet or too oakey/smokey).

Ok, now that I've whined for three paragraphs, any recommendations for a solid mid-shelf bourbon that's spicy? Texas maker would be even better. TIA!

I recently bought a bottle of 9 Banded

It was okay, but a bit more burn than I prefer. Price was around $40

May work better for you...I prefer something more like a Jim Beam Black or Buffalo Trace

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I have been experimenting with some of the top shelf bourbon for a while now. I have found a few that were real good and one that went down the sink drain. I have since decided that I'll sick to the lower shelves and stay with my old stand bys, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey. To me, these are still good choices and cost much less.

I’m right there with you. I buy my whiskey on an AF Base (no tax) and Jim Beam Black (a favorite) is less than $18 out the door. Wild Turkey, Buffalo Trace and Bulliet under $25

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Firestone Distillery makes TX Blended and I think they make a TX Bourbon. I found that bottle of Buffalo Trace last week. BT is getting hard to find now.

It’s not texas whiskey but I grabbed a bottle of Elijah Craig last night on the way home but didn’t get a chance to try it yet.

The Weller brand of bourbons come from the Buffalo Trace distillery. They are my go to for bourbon.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Maker's Mark remains my "go to" bourbon.

But it's just kinda my default choice (among many other good ones).
    d39b9e6a1863325eaf976014648a9a59.jpg

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I've never seen either the gold or white wax... cool!

The white waxed bottles are rarely offered for sale and when they are, they're a limited run at the distillery - and so, are "still" (pardon the pun) hard to come by. What triggers that production? The University of Kentucky Wildcats have to win the NCAA (March Madness) tournament... the whole tournament!

The gold waxed bottles aren't for sale - you won't ever see them in a retail store. I'll just say, Bill Samuels, Sr. and later, Bill junior - original family owners of the little distillery in Loretta - had their selected production, bottled for a "few friends". My dad (not me!) & labeled for the recipient.

[ETA] - If you go to Woodford Reserve Distillery and buy some of their 'top shelf' bourbon, they allow you to make/print your own personalized label. Did that for my FIL (before his death, three years ago).

Last edited:

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    Larceny is a really nice intro Bourbon.. wheated, so a bit more on the sweeter side, but having a nice dryness to it that gives it balance. We keep some on hand for those that are not proof-hounds like us. :)

One of my all-time favorites still is Crowded Barrel's Elenore bourbons... v 6.2 in particular... if you can find someone willing to share.. :)

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Well I finally broke the seal & the Elijah Craig is good (IMO). I will buy another bottle of Buffalo Trace if I can find one but it’s seems to have gone up in price since I last bought a bottle. I don’t remember Buffalo Trace @ $60?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom