• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Its something you drink on a truly day, my everyday (I don't drink everyday) is Weller 107 Barrle Proof, high quality, decent price. Also a fan of Makers Mark in the higher proof.

Its the high proof stuff (90++) in whiskey that brings taste to the table.

Don't get me wrong. I'm getting a bottle. I agree with you...it's definitely not a cheap bottle of green label jack.

Bulleit is pretty good. I prefer the rye. Smooth, with earthy over tones, finish is dry sweet flavor of oak.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Its something you drink on a truly day, my everyday (I don't drink everyday) is Weller 107 Barrle Proof, high quality, decent price. Also a fan of Makers Mark in the higher proof.

Its the high proof stuff (90++) in whiskey that brings taste to the table.

This guy knows his stuff.

Buffalo Trace is really putting out some of the best whiskey on the planet at the moment.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    This guy knows his stuff.

Buffalo Trace is really putting out some of the best whiskey on the planet at the moment.

OC is the one that gave me the trail...lol

When I went in twin lickers', I ask a guy that seems to really know his stuff. "Got any Rimfire?"

"Yes sir, it's made by...bottles right here. It's everything they meant it to be. It's familial. Worth the price for special occasions."

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    Has anyone here heard of 40 Creek Whisky? I have not, but it came highly recommended. Made near Niagra Falls.

Smooth too smooth for me but it packs a punch I give it to some Lady friends that were over when some of us old geezers were sitting on the front porch picking a Martin guitar or 2 and that got snuck up on [smile]
    Best/joe

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I saw a bottle on our way to the ranch. For the price I couldn't pass it up. Was very impressed and will buy again.

64368719-ED39-4711-B2DF-6E7BB7D338CA_zpsdoceguvw.jpg

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Two of you have said this now. I do not understand what too smooth means.
    Being a Bourbon drinker for well over 50 years and watching my tastes change I will do my best to describe. High quality is smooth, drink some rot gut or 'bottom shelf' in the liquor stores and you will taste and feel the difference between smooth and harsh...its not just the proof. But as proof goes down its a lot lighter on the tongue. I can drink a high quality well made bourbon at 100+++ proof and the smooth is still there, but the flavors begin to integrate with th alky. It does slow down your drinking, you don't drink like a 7-11 slurpee. I do not know of anyone that drinks the high end whiskeys with anything other a a spot of water or a cube of ice. Its the flavor that is smooth and you allow it to roll across the tongue to get the many flavors it brings. Its very complex.

I find JD quite harsh, but they have some of the very best advertising in the industry. Charcoal filter, you bet, could not drink if they didn't. Its limestone water, the same water I got coming out of my well here in the hill country. Limestone water is near undrinkable unless its really filtered to remove some of the hardness.

In my young days I leaned toward the <86 proof, mixed with a lot of water and ice, as I have grown older its 107 and beyond and cool either by keeping the bottle in the fridge or adding a cube of ice. Last thing I want to do is muck up the flavor with too much water or ice.

That said you will never know if its smooth or not if you mix it with any soft drink or in fact anything other than a spot of non-tap water. I have not mixed my bourbon with a soft drink since my college days (could not afford to buy bourbon and coke both, so, bought better bourbon and mixed with water, been doing it ever since).

I am sure some of the other high drinkers will chime in with additional thoughts on this...

OldCurlyWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Tulia
    Wild Turkey Green Label (Rye), Black Bush(Irish), Benchmark or W.L. Weller (Bourbon), I am not too particular with Scotch. Mostly like Chivas and Pinch.

There are a few which I want to try and haven't yet.

Crown Royal (Canadian) isn't bad either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Two of you have said this now. I do not understand what too smooth means.

With whiskey. You're taste buds mature to the taste. At first, it taste like gasoline.

Once your mouth gets use to it. (This happens at different speeds by different folks)

You'll notice a bold flavor at first. This is the body. It'll have the strongest warm flavors. These tastes hot at first. But as they say on certain whiskeys, "takes the burn out, leaves the warmth"

As your taste mature. You'll taste distinct flavors. Let the taste remind you of things.

To me. Bulliet has a body of a warm dry grass field, set on black dirt. With hints of a red Washington Apple.

Then comes the "finish". This is where people grimace after drinking whiskey. This part of the flavor carries lighter flavors. Usually smooth, dry, sweater flavors.

So a body of oak, can finish to a flavor of dry sweetness, accented by the flavors instilled by the maker.

Flowers, rye, molasses.....

In layman's terms. The more you drink whiskey. The better it taste. The more flavors come out. And use the proper glass. There's a reason for it. Glass Tumblers allow the aroma of the whiskey, to 'Touch' the palette. Giving you more flavors through scent.

You'll notice a "flavor" in the very rear of you nose. Between the body and finish flavors of the whiskey. Glass Tumblers help with this.

Whiskey in shot glasses have a different flavor vs a wider tumbler.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Buy a small bottle of green label jack to black label.

If you're a new drinker. They taste the same. To a seasoned drinker.

Green label is nasty. No body, and the finish taste like brake fluid. Like it was made in a plastic trash can. Good for cheap mixed drinks at a party, you don't have many friends at.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Forgive my stubbornness, but I feel like I still don't have an answer to my question: what does it mean for a whiskey to be too smooth? People are coming on here and saying that 40 Creek is too smooth for them. Smooth is the opposite of nasty and harsh. But "too smooth" indicates a problem. Why is too smooth a problem?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Forgive my stubbornness, but I feel like I still don't have an answer to my question: what does it mean for a whiskey to be too smooth? People are coming on here and saying that 40 Creek is too smooth for them. Smooth is the opposite of nasty and harsh. But "too smooth" indicates a problem. Why is too smooth a problem?

Canada whiskeys, imo, are way too smooth. The flavor isn't as strong. It has "Smooth" light flavors. Not strong, nor do they last long. It almost taste like Kentucky whiskey, but watered down by a 1/3.

There's no bold flavor kick'. The body has very little definition. The finish is too light in flavor. Hence, too 'smooth' for my taste.

And imo, makers mark, is horrible. Guess, I need to drink it in 20 below Canadian temps. Cuz it's nasty drinking in the mild temps of Texas.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    What you refer to as 'Harsh' (referring to a good whiskey)

Is the power of the flavors. With stops between the flavors. It's bold.

What's harsh to you. Could be mild to another with well seasoned taste buds. Other has expressed wanting darker, stronger whiskeys. Their search is for boldness, over being smooth.

They wanna feel the whiskeys body and the flavors...slap their face. Which is 100% ok. Their just darker whiskey drinkers.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom