Join TexasGunTalk

White foam on transmission dipstick

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by Kyle, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Kyle

Kyle Needs More Cowbell! TGT Supporter

Feb 24, 2011
    Hill Country
    Ok, So I have had a cracked radiator for a while and after I finally put in my replacement, I went to do my routine fluid check and I had a frothy white foam on my transmission dipstick. I can't imagine that my new radiator has a leak between the coolant and transmission walls... I supposed anything could be defective though.. I replaced the fluid, made sure my levels were good and the white froth was still there, but not as thick as it was prior to the change. I have had this car for about 3 months and it looks like the transmission has never seen new fluid. No slippage, some grit to the old fluid that I drained out though. Any thoughts?? --2001 Honda Civic LX

2. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Active Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    I hate advising this, but have them do a really good power flush on the trans. Sometimes this will loosen a bunch of crap, and cause the need for a rebuild, but if you're running water through it, I can guarantee a rebuild in the near future anyway. You must get the water out of there. I hope you get lucky.

3. SR9TEX

SR9TEX Active Member

Sep 23, 2013
    ^ Couldn't have said it any better.

4. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    Calling M Sage...

When you say you replaced the transmission fluid, how did you do this? From what I understand, when we change transmission fluid we don't get all of it.

5. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    You likely got coolant in your transmission when the radiator cracked.
    The transmission cooling lines connect towards the bottom of the radiator, so the crack would open the transmission fluid to the coolant.
    As stated, transmission system flush. And this is the only situation that would warrant a flush.
    The torque converter holds as much fluid as the transmission case on some models. That's why it won't go away without a flush.

6. Kyle

Feb 24, 2011
    Hill Country
    I'm anti flush if I can avoid it.. Seems like when they have gone without service as long as this is, it ends up doing more harm. Honestly, the engine runs top notch and the tranny isn't skipping a beat either. It may come to it though. Odd thing is, when I drained out the fluid I found absolutely no separation in it so now I am confused.

I sent him a text earlier. No response.

I drained out what I could which is about 2.8 of the the 6.6 quarts in the tranny. I was going to run it a short while and drain it again (repeating until the fluid comes out close to clean)

That's what I am confused about because I had absolutely no foaming prior to the change :/

Repeating what I said Posted above, when I drained the tranny, there was no separation I the fluid. There are also no separations in the coolant either. It's very confusing, but I also have limited knowledge when it comes to tranny issues.

7. Kyle

Feb 24, 2011
    Hill Country
    0B861467-7334-465A-A6B3-2FFFEAA41502-3625-00000414853D2A55_zpsba28ac9c.gif

This is after the fluid drain I did. It was easily 3 times the froth you see here

8. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Its water. Gonna have to have the tranny flushed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

9. Charlie

Charlie Semi-Literate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I'm assuming you aren't driving to Hicksville now? Or anywhere else 'till you get that fixed!

"Cause if you do .................................. you KNOW it'll blow all over they highway!

10. Kyle

Feb 24, 2011
    Hill Country
    Thats the conclusion im coming too. I just cant figure out how in the hell I got water in it. It doesnt appear to be coolant at this point... we just started having cooler weather... what are the odds of condensation in the tranny? I think that would boil off after a short while..?

Hicksville isnt looking good at the moment... I dont need to replace a tranny right now and that would be a show of my luck too!