• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Ok, So I have had a cracked radiator for a while and after I finally put in my replacement, I went to do my routine fluid check and I had a frothy white foam on my transmission dipstick. I can't imagine that my new radiator has a leak between the coolant and transmission walls... I supposed anything could be defective though.. I replaced the fluid, made sure my levels were good and the white froth was still there, but not as thick as it was prior to the change. I have had this car for about 3 months and it looks like the transmission has never seen new fluid. No slippage, some grit to the old fluid that I drained out though. Any thoughts?? --2001 Honda Civic LX

Jeffrey

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    I hate advising this, but have them do a really good power flush on the trans. Sometimes this will loosen a bunch of crap, and cause the need for a rebuild, but if you're running water through it, I can guarantee a rebuild in the near future anyway. You must get the water out of there. I hope you get lucky.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Calling M Sage...

When you say you replaced the transmission fluid, how did you do this? From what I understand, when we change transmission fluid we don't get all of it.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    You likely got coolant in your transmission when the radiator cracked.
    The transmission cooling lines connect towards the bottom of the radiator, so the crack would open the transmission fluid to the coolant.
    As stated, transmission system flush. And this is the only situation that would warrant a flush.
    The torque converter holds as much fluid as the transmission case on some models. That's why it won't go away without a flush.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I hate advising this, but have them do a really good power flush on the trans. Sometimes this will loosen a bunch of crap, and cause the need for a rebuild, but if you're running water through it, I can guarantee a rebuild in the near future anyway. You must get the water out of there. I hope you get lucky.

I'm anti flush if I can avoid it.. Seems like when they have gone without service as long as this is, it ends up doing more harm. Honestly, the engine runs top notch and the tranny isn't skipping a beat either. It may come to it though. Odd thing is, when I drained out the fluid I found absolutely no separation in it so now I am confused.

Calling M Sage...

When you say you replaced the transmission fluid, how did you do this? From what I understand, when we change transmission fluid we don't get all of it.

I sent him a text earlier. No response.

I drained out what I could which is about 2.8 of the the 6.6 quarts in the tranny. I was going to run it a short while and drain it again (repeating until the fluid comes out close to clean)

You likely got coolant in your transmission when the radiator cracked.
    The transmission cooling lines connect towards the bottom of the radiator, so the crack would open the transmission fluid to the coolant.
    As stated, transmission system flush. And this is the only situation that would warrant a flush.
    The torque converter holds as much fluid as the transmission case on some models. That's why it won't go away without a flush.

That's what I am confused about because I had absolutely no foaming prior to the change :/

Repeating what I said Posted above, when I drained the tranny, there was no separation I the fluid. There are also no separations in the coolant either. It's very confusing, but I also have limited knowledge when it comes to tranny issues.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    0B861467-7334-465A-A6B3-2FFFEAA41502-3625-00000414853D2A55_zpsba28ac9c.gif

This is after the fluid drain I did. It was easily 3 times the froth you see here

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Its water. Gonna have to have the tranny flushed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thats the conclusion im coming too. I just cant figure out how in the hell I got water in it. It doesnt appear to be coolant at this point... we just started having cooler weather... what are the odds of condensation in the tranny? I think that would boil off after a short while..?

I'm assuming you aren't driving to Hicksville now? Or anywhere else 'till you get that fixed!

"Cause if you do .................................. you KNOW it'll blow all over they highway!

Hicksville isnt looking good at the moment... I dont need to replace a tranny right now and that would be a show of my luck too!

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    water came from the radiator, only place it could come from

Thats what I thought too, but I am not finding any signs at all of any coolant in the system. (I may be wrong)-- With the tranny lines being higher pressure than the coolant in the radiator, I wouldnt think it would be easy for coolant to leak into the tranny, but instead, tranny fluid could easily leak into the coolant.. There is no separation in either fluid and I am maintaining levels in both coolant and tranny. That is clearly the likely culprit, but aside from the foam, I can find any evidence. Im thinking a radiator pressure test is in order on top of a flush :/

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Thats what I thought too, but I am not finding any signs at all of any coolant in the system. (I may be wrong)-- With the tranny lines being higher pressure than the coolant in the radiator, I wouldnt think it would be easy for coolant to leak into the tranny, but instead, tranny fluid could easily leak into the coolant.. There is no separation in either fluid and I am maintaining levels in both coolant and tranny. That is clearly the likely culprit, but aside from the foam, I can find any evidence. Im thinking a radiator pressure test is in order on top of a flush :/
    if it busted inside the radiator internally, water and coolant mixture could enter the lines, just my opinion

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Wow, talk about reading the title out of context... :)

I thought this thread was going to get banned lol....... ahem.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    if it busted inside the radiator internally, water and coolant mixture could enter the lines, just my opinion

You are right, and that is the only place they could mix if I am not mistaken. Im just bouncing thoughts around for some clarity. opinion, fact, senseless chatter, etc.. is all absolutely appreciated!

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013

There's a transmission fluid cooler inside the radiator, hence the trans lines going into the radiator. It's a miniature version of the radiator itself, that is another and likely source of coolant (water) getting into the trans. I think you said you changed the main radiator? If so the trans cooler may have had a leak in it from the start. Given the volume of coolant relative to the volume of trans fluid, there likely might be trans fluid in the coolant but it wouldn't immediately be obvious. I'd check that trans cooler, pressure test, and see if it is leaking.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    For $12, you can buy a little container of coolant test strips. They are a very easy way to see if your coolant is still good. Using a refractometer along with the test strips is the best way to check it.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    For $12, you can buy a little container of coolant test strips. They are a very easy way to see if your coolant is still good. Using a refractometer along with the test strips is the best way to check it.

Good call! I completely forgot about test strips. We used them ALLL the time back up North.

Top Bottom