• ...and so much more!
  • DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    [url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_the_people_s_house[/URL]

I understand the need for security, but this goes a long way towards explaining the change in attitude from governing officials over the last half century. It used to be that they were not considered "governing officials', but were proud to call themselves representatives, and welcomed the general populace into their offices. I may be young at 34 by many standards, but I yearn for a simpler time when men were men, opinions were expected and respected, and the government was for the people by the people, not I got mine, now what else can I get.....
    DK Firearms

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I remembered driving by the White House in the mid 80's and thinking how cool it was ... now ...

The report, rich in capturing the history of openness at the White House, was written by a panel that recommended the closing of Pennsylvania Avenue to traffic outside. That happened in May 1995.

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    We have gone from being the governed who give our consent, to the ruled who now give only our taxes.

Thomas Jefferson wanted the Executive Mansion, opened in 1800, to be accessible, not a palace separated from serfs.
    Even the idea of stationing guards in and around the complex was considered inappropriate through the 19th century; their presence was only tolerated when the city itself was threatened in wartime.

Jeff B.

Top Bottom